ADVERTISEMENT

UNC played as good as they’re capable

Was anyone else surprised when they didn’t start fouling at the end of the game? I know we were up by ten or whatever but they seemed to give up with about 2 minutes left.
I think mentally that 16-0 run or whatever it was did them in. I think they knew they were beaten at that point. Just my opinion

Reactions: Ronman
Iowa had 11 turnovers, shot barely 50% from the foul line (only shot 14 free throws) and their top scorer had a below average game for him. They still won by 13. Iowa wins this game a minimum 7 out of 10 times.
How often are you going to make 17 threes, though?

UNC has trouble shooting the ball from the outside, they had trouble again tonite. They pound the glass, they beat us on rebounds tonite. I don't think this game was their ceiling but it certainly wasn't the Hawks best game either.

This team is built that way if Garza is somewhat held in check. I think Jordan Bohannon in particular has taken 10 times (?) as many 3's in his career as 2 point shots. That's where he's most likely to be open, and he's good at it, so why not. The same applies to CJ & to a lesser extent Weiskamp.

If Garza is rolling, we won't take that many 3's, unless they are garbage time bench player scenarios, IMO. But we absolutely have the shooters to confidently take that approach, again, IMO.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Fair enough - but with Garza inside they will get plenty of open looks and they are good shooters. Do you think 40% and above for Bohannon, Frederick, and Weiskamp is out of the question when open?

I also feel like Iowa beat them "straight up." Iowa won by playing a solid but not spectacular game. In the past, when Iowa has beaten really good teams, it seems like it was because they overachieved with a superior effort. This looked like a BAU game.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
If the opponent spends too much time in the lane around Garza and allows 40 attempts?

Frequently. Iowa has the best collection of shooters in the country.
Agree with the first part, the 2nd not so much. We have had some good individual long range shooters, but not the volume we currently have.

Agree with the first part, the 2nd not so much. We have had some good individual long range shooters, but not the volume we currently have.

That wasn't a well constructed paragraph by me.

"Frequently" was the answer to how often I expect to make 17 threes.

Reactions: 24 so far
I would like Iowa to have an abundance of bigs like UNC. They will be very tough in the tourney.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranklinHawk
I'm guessing they will beat or come close to that number often if teams double Garza. The percentage was only 42.5% so it's not like they were hitting everything they threw up. That's what UNC game them and Iowa responded with 17 threes.

I think it's why UNC has had issues winning national championships the last several years (well, last year was because they were terrible, but other years when they were good). One and done players can get you to the sweet 16, but winning national championships requires some mature leadership.
Agreed.. I would rather watch an Iowa team with less 'talent' but gamier because of experience versus a talented youthful team. We have got to watch one of the greatest shooters in Hawk history for over 4 years now. I would hat to watch 1 and done all the time.

Reactions: BioHawk
Agreed.. I would rather watch an Iowa team with less 'talent' but gamier because of experience versus a talented youthful team. We have got to watch one of the greatest shooters in Hawk history for over 4 years now. I would hat to watch 1 and done all the time.

zGHQb4O.gif

I'm not sure if he was double-teamed all that much, strictly speaking, but the help defense was definitely there and he usually had to beat two guys to get a shot off. North Carolina had a good game plan for him and executed it well, they should be given credit.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It seemed every time Luka got the ball and attempted a shot, he had at least two guys swatting at him. Obviously, like you said, that was more help defense than double teaming.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I was surprised Carolina had only one run in them. Once they went ahead, they ran out of steam. Any B1G team is going to come at you again & again & again especially if they get back in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT