ADVERTISEMENT

Under $2/gal gasoline is back!

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
8Dxdevz.png

thanks Trump ;) . In addition, i just read the largest find ever was just discovered in north texas and new mexico. A decade ago libs were saying we had a limited amount of years supply left. Now the supply is several hundred years

Cheap gas is a leading indicator of a falling economy. Also shows why OPEC wants that production cut.

Cheap gas is a leading indicator of a falling economy. Also shows why OPEC wants that production cut.
i agree with the point about OPEC but the first statement is silly. Its merely shows that there is a strong correlation between supply and demand. Right now, thanks to fracking and more discovery there is more supply than needed

i agree with the point about OPEC but the first statement is silly. Its merely shows that there is a strong correlation between supply and demand. Right now, thanks to fracking and more discovery there is more supply than needed
Agree to a point, but my view is that the supply/demand argument indicates that demand is down because of prospects of a weakening economy. The November jobs report normally shows seasonal hiring increases that didn't materialize this year.

The other argument is that gas prices many times increase in late fall as more petrol is used for heating purposes in winter.

Agree to a point, but my view is that the supply/demand argument indicates that demand is down because of prospects of a weakening economy. The November jobs report normally shows seasonal hiring increases that didn't materialize this year.

The other argument is that gas prices many times increase in late fall as more petrol is used for heating purposes in winter.
i believe your point is wrong. The november Jobs report was lower than expected but still a good one. The previous month was much higher than expected. The economy is still strong. Your other argument also holds no water. This price is merely a reflection of the price/demand rule.

Does @MitchL think these prices are an indicator of a global economic slow down? Or just here in Trump’s America?
Global! It's what happens when the world's two largest economies are playing a game of "chicken".
so Mitch, your hypothesis as i see is this is happening because of the trading fight between us and China? If so, that bears no resemblance to the truth. In addition, we are not playing chicken. We are trying to make China adhere to rules that WTO members do. Our future may well depend on it

so Mitch, your hypothesis as i see is this is happening because of the trading fight between us and China? If so, that bears no resemblance to the truth. In addition, we are not playing chicken. We are trying to make China adhere to rules that WTO members do. Our future may well depend on it
This whole thing could have been played much differently...there was no need to act the part of a bull in the china shop, as Trump did......Negotiations...out of the limelight, could have been very effective and lots less negative. But, that is not Trump’s style.

Reactions: MitchL
Does @MitchL think these prices are an indicator of a global economic slowdown? Or just here in Trump’s America?
Current prices are supported by too much supply. Trump had indicated to Saudi Arabia that his sanctions against Iran would take effect immediately. So the Saudis did the right thing and convinced OPEC and themselves to increase supply so as to not choke off the global economy with a price spike. The Iran sanctions are being phased in over six months, so there is a temporary large spike in supply. Additionally, there is less demand in Europe, especially Turkey as their economy has been hit by sanctions. The USA has indeed found more supply and has brought down the cost of fracking to the point that $50-$60 oil seems to be the break-even point, depending on what field you are pumping from.

This whole thing could have been played much differently...there was no need to act the part of a bull in the china shop, as Trump did......Negotiations...out of the limelight, could have been very effective and lots less negative. But, that is not Trump’s style.
Bullshit, every president for the last twenty years has attempted to get the Chinese to change their behaving as Mercantilists. Their economy is vulnerable to tariffs right now. We need to do what needs to be done and show them we are serious. They have a real estate bubble with 20% of their living space unrented. They have lots of government debt, at the Federal, State and Local levels. Due to so many businesses being quasi government operations, the local governments have much more debt exposure than the books show. Plus, the average wage is less than $15,000 a year. So any efforts by the Chinese government to deleverage itself through higher taxes will quell its attempts to create a consumer based economy and create unrest. Our tariffs are hurting them much more than they are hurting us. January 1st is when the real pain will kick in for them when most tarrifs increase from the current 10% up to 25%. I already have customers asking me to source product that is now in China elsewhere.

Last edited:
The whole Trump premise is that the Chinese blink first. That's an expensive gamble that likely is no better than a 50/50 chance. Time will tell.

But the Chinese President also knows the chaos in the WH and how much is riding on the trade/tariff war. The Chinese President isn't going to have the political pressure that we see in the U.S.

This tactic by Turd is a huge risk. If it works out... great. But there's a significant downside if it doesn't.

Bullshit, every president for the last twenty years has attempted to get the Chinese to change their behaving as Mercantilists. Their economy is vulnerable to tariffs right now. We need to do what needs to be done and show them we are serious. They have a real estate bubble with 20% of their living space unrented. They have lots of government debt, at the Federal, State and Local levels. Due to so many businesses being quasi government operations, the local governments have much more debt exposure than the books show. Plus, the average wage is less than $15,000 a year. So any efforts by the Chinese government to deleverage itself through higher taxes will quell its attempts to create a consumer based economy and create unrest. Our tariffs are hurting them much more than they are hurting us. January 1st is when the real pain will kick in for them when most tarrifs increase from the current 10% up to 25%. I already have customers asking me to source product that is now in China elsewhere.

I really dont doubt a thing you say del....My consternation is that IF a Democrat would have done this every farmer in America, plus every Republican in America would be demanding he/she be removed from office.
But, I also believe that the Chinese trade issue could be dealt with more effectively over the long run.....but there needs to be an understanding that taxes would be imposed if no agreement is made....and that trade agreements must be ever continuing...which the business community would find unpleasant and troubling.
Again...there are somethings that Trump is doing I can agree with....his methods are obtuse and arcane. His NAFTA blow-up was a big puff of nothing...certainly no great "victory" and it has created a lot of ill will. His TIP renunciation is really dumb.....Let negotiators negotiate. Trump is NOT the smartest man in the room. Regardless of what you might think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT