ADVERTISEMENT

Lady Hawks need to quickly double team the low post; low post defense a weakness?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I kept watching that big gal for OSU get the ball down low and Hannah and OGrady got very little help. That gal took the time to pitch a tent in there a few times, make some moves, and at the last second another hawk might stick a hand in there, and sometimes make a foul.

I was so hoping Bluder would have a player help right away and make that McMahon pick up her dribble or even not dribble and pass it back out.

I think K-state had a couple bigs that gave the hawks problems down low.\

Is this a weakness? What is the best fix?

I kept watching that big gal for OSU get the ball down low and Hannah and OGrady got very little help. That gal took the time to pitch a tent in there a few times, make some moves, and at the last second another hawk might stick a hand in there, and sometimes make a foul.

I was so hoping Bluder would have a player help right away and make that McMahon pick up her dribble or even not dribble and pass it back out.

The best fix is to get a Time Machine & go back to the pre-season portal. Short of that, we’ll need to help more down low against decent posts & give up more open 3’s.

Reactions: nu2u
Iowa's defense in general has not been a strength under Bluder. The fact that she resigns to playing zone against most of the better teams tells a lot, unfortunately.

OSU's a good team though and losing on the road is nothing to get bent out of shape over. Iowa will get better from this

Defense has always been a problem. There are times where you wonder if they understand help defense, rotations, or even talk to each other.
Someone mentioned some flu issues so that can explain some lethargy, but we’ve been a “we will just outscore you” team for some time now.

Iowa could replace Gabby with a big. She stands in the corner on offense and waits for threes, but her % is not that high. She is supposed to be great on defense, but I don't see it.

Reactions: Sandistar
I thought the parts of the game I saw, they WERE doubling the center and leave shooters open. I think they made 60% on threes???? They were just shooting out of their minds. Shouldn't happen next time tho.

Our bigs allow them to post up too close to the basket. They need to force them out further. Today McMahon was posting our bigs within two feet or less from the basket every single time.
That would require some physicality that you just don't see much in the women's game

Cezzano was a HUGE piece in UIowa’s success the past couple of years. Her inside presence was a big factor offensively...and defensively! Her offense can be “covered” to a large extent, but her defense was much better than present. Not a “slam” by any means...just a real observation. If Iowa could have gotten the girl from Algona...wow! Caitlin is Caitlin but guys, Caitlin had a whole lotta help her first 3 years with Iowa’s “inside” play. Iowa is still a force to be dealt with because of Caitlin but for Iowa to win the B10 and make a deep run in the Tourney, she needs help!

(My Opinion: Iowa did a poor job of “milking the clock” in the 4th quarter yesterday. (That’s on the coaches.) That game was theirs to win. They need to practice some FT shooting, too. (This is on the players.)

A few things-

OSU makes seven 3's a game, they made 11 vs Iowa
OSU shoots 34% from 3, they shot 50% vs Iowa
OSU makes 72% of their FT's, they made 79% vs Iowa

It wasn't just interior defense that appeared bad for Iowa, but a poor performance all around.

Reactions: cmhawks99
The posts did a decent job defensively. I really don't think McMahon was all that special. It's just when a player with any height and athleticism drives the lane, especially if they do any kind of spin move, and especially late in the game, the refs are going to blow the whistle on the defense if there's any contact at all - no matter how little - no matter who initiates the contact.

Our bigs allow them to post up too close to the basket. They need to force them out further. Today McMahon was posting our bigs within two feet or less from the basket every single time.
Well this just isn’t true. A) she wasn’t even posting up, at least not what I consider posting up/back to the basket and B) it was probably more like 6-8ft from the hoop.
She was doing most of her damage flashing to the middle of the paint, receiving a bounce pass and taking a dribble or 2 to the rim. The problem was, nobody slid up to guard her, they laid back and let her get her momentum going towards the hoop. At that point they’re either fouling her or hoping for a missed layup.
After the first couple times it happened they needed to slide somebody up and get right up underneath her. Make her either take that shot or kick it out, but damn sure don’t let her get the ball on the floor with momentum going to the hoop!

I was surprised at the number of times in zone we would just come and stand by mcmahon but not really wall her up with the double, hell with the primary either.

I must have been watching a different game. Usually, McMahon would get the ball 6-8 feet from the basket, back her way into the post, then turn and ram her shoulder or arm into the defender to move her back while going up for the shot. Most of the time getting a foul called. There were at least a few egregious offensive fouls not called.

Did you know that tOSU shot 50% from the 3 point range?

McMahon was interviewed this morning on the Big Ten Network and said she was surprised on how the Iowa bigs basically gave her free access in the lane the entire game.

Reactions: shudaddy
Did you know that tOSU shot 50% from the 3 point range?
Yes, Bluder said postgame they shot about 15% better than their average.

It is called double team the post and hustle back out after the kickout pass. or rotate to the gal left alone by the double teamer. Teams do it all the time.

You can never plan for a shooter or a whole team just hitting treys like layups, which is what that LSU bench player did in the final last year, cant plan for that as she was like 9 for 11

Lady Hawks?

Brings back some fun memories: Mediapolis Bullettes, West Liberty Belles, Ankeny Hawkettes.

I stumbled across a web site conversation in which fans were throwing fireballs at Iowa, Caitlin particularly. One fan was demonizing her and worshipping McMahon in comparison by saying Caitlin scored 45 points but needed a billion shots.

She took 3 more FG attempts and 2 more FTs than McMahon for her to get her 33.

That's efficacy.

I stumbled across a web site conversation in which fans were throwing fireballs at Iowa, Caitlin particularly. One fan was demonizing her and worshipping McMahon in comparison by saying Caitlin scored 45 points but needed a billion shots.

She took 3 more FG attempts and 2 more FTs than McMahon for her to get her 33.

That's efficacy.
#22 is a watershed player. You either love her or hate her. It is an honor that damn few people ever reach....and she’s a woman’s basketballer! She is “Reggie Jackson”, in that she is the straw that stirs the drink in women’s basketball.

#22 is a watershed player. You either love her or hate her. It is an honor that damn few people ever reach....and she’s a woman’s basketballer! She is “Reggie Jackson”, in that she is the straw that stirs the drink in women’s basketball.
Yea, a sports reporter was saying espn really increased their women's Bball tv contract and number of games. People are seeing and loving the great shooting, tough play, really good ballhandling. This aint 1960's Girls BBall anymore. You got tough post players now, tall

Yes, Bluder said postgame they shot about 15% better than their average.

It is called double team the post and hustle back out after the kickout pass. or rotate to the gal left alone by the double teamer. Teams do it all the time.

You can never plan for a shooter or a whole team just hitting treys like layups, which is what that LSU bench player did in the final last year, cant plan for that as she was like 9 for 11
When a championship level team sees Iowa employ a gimmick sagging D vs S. Carolina and is able to prepare for it, then yes, you can bet that a player that's being left wide open will go off

Cezzano was a HUGE piece in UIowa’s success the past couple of years. Her inside presence was a big factor offensively...and defensively! Her offense can be “covered” to a large extent, but her defense was much better than present. Not a “slam” by any means...just a real observation. If Iowa could have gotten the girl from Algona...wow! Caitlin is Caitlin but guys, Caitlin had a whole lotta help her first 3 years with Iowa’s “inside” play. Iowa is still a force to be dealt with because of Caitlin but for Iowa to win the B10 and make a deep run in the Tourney, she needs help!

(My Opinion: Iowa did a poor job of “milking the clock” in the 4th quarter yesterday. (That’s on the coaches.) That game was theirs to win. They need to practice some FT shooting, too. (This is on the players.)
Sorry, but I just can't agree. MC was not that good of a defender, and she wasn't that good of a rebounder either. Honestly most here thought AOG would be a big upgrade on both, and she has shown some nice flashes. For whatever reason Lisa doesn't seem to play her much, and then when she does come in its usually in some pretty important part of the game, and just like in the elite 8 she played pretty well when called upon. A little confusing actually that she's not playing more.

I found this chart interesting....

JEDPKjn.jpg

Reactions: WSC72 and joelbc1

Monica was not a strong defender. Our defense is actually better as a result of her absence

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT