ADVERTISEMENT

Underachieving Purdue; POTY, very good supporting cast; late year swan dive

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Painter probably aint going to get it this year either. The last two years PU just cant put teams away, even with Edey. Many close wins, some puzzling losses. Wisky had not been playing well.

The last OT possession by PU was terrible as no one came to help Smith out with the ball. Not sure what they were trying to do but if it was to burn the clock down a 3 man weave is way safer that having your point guard dribble it around for 20 seconds.

I dont like PU or Wisky at all but like to watch smart Bball, Painter like Keady cant win some big ones.

Painter probably aint going to get it this year either. The last two years PU just cant put teams away, even with Edey. Many close wins, some puzzling losses. Wisky had not been playing well.

The last OT possession by PU was terrible as no one came to help Smith out with the ball. Not sure what they were trying to do but if it was to burn the clock down a 3 man weave is way safer that having your point guard dribble it around for 20 seconds.

I dont like PU or Wisky at all but like to watch smart Bball, Painter like Keady cant win some big ones.
Was thinking similar: “stop dribbling and pass tha damned ball!”

The fact you used “swan dive” to describe ONE loss after seven straight wins is hilarious.

At the end of the day, we all want the same thing…to win all our games! It’s also why even though PU has a much better history than us. Their fans still have wanted Painter fired forever.

It’s a part of the deal I guess🤷‍♂️

Yeah, it was not Painter's best day as he made some decisions down the stretch IMO. I dislike Wisconsin so I was definitely rooting for Purdue.

The fact you used “swan dive” to describe ONE loss after seven straight wins is hilarious.
The Swan Dive is for all the times Keady and Painter have had great players, POY etc which Keady had, but then they fade at tourney time, they lose games they shouldnt all the time in the tourney. It sure makes the Big 10 look weaker when they win the league outright and then stumble

Reactions: rufus-hawk
The Swan Dive is for all the times Keady and Painter have had great players, POY etc which Keady had, but then they fade at tourney time, they lose games they shouldnt all the time in the tourney. It sure makes the Big 10 look weaker when they win the league outright and then stumble
I believe it reflects on the strength of the league in a positive light.

Now, if Purdue stumbles out of the gate or in the first two rounds of the tourney?? That would not be a good look for the Big Ten.

I believe it reflects on the strength of the league in a positive light.

Now, if Purdue stumbles out of the gate or in the first two rounds of the tourney?? That would not be a good look for the Big Ten.
Depending on matchups that's a very good possibility. I don't think they'll lose to a 16, but an 8/9 could easily end their season.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Depending on matchups that's a very good possibility. I don't think they'll lose to a 16, but an 8/9 could easily end their season.
And as the face of the Big Ten this season, a second-round loss would not be a good look for our conference.

Purdue is a better version of us.

They can win conference titles and get farther than us in the tournament, but ultimately whenever there are big expectations to make the Final Four or compete for a national championship.......they always fall short.

Fun fact, Purdue has been to as many Final Fours as we have since 1980...........................zero.

They are a better version of us.

I wouldn’t panic about Purdue losing a meaningless game the day after their two best players got hurt and were questionable.

Painter also played with lineups today. Clearly didn’t take the game to serious. Blessing in disguise to lose. Get healthy

No reason to think Purdue isn’t. Guard play wins in march. Purdue has good guard play.

But then again, the tournament can get weird.
Good guard play won't get it done when it counts. You have to be better than good and they aren't. If Purdue can't win with Ivey or Edwards, it isn't going to happen.

I like Smith a lot, but he can't do it by himself.

Good guard play won't get it done when it counts. You have to be better than good and they aren't. If Purdue can't win with Ivey or Edwards, it isn't going to happen.

I like Smith a lot, but he can't do it by himself.
Edward’s was a 1 man show. Ivey was widely inconsistent still and a 1 man show as well.

Smith is a top 5 PG playing with the NPOY and surrounded by 5 40% shooters. What more do you want?

I wouldn’t panic about Purdue losing a meaningless game the day after their two best players got hurt and were questionable.

Painter also played with lineups today. Clearly didn’t take the game to serious. Blessing in disguise to lose. Get healthy
I didnt know about the injuries; who were they and are they lost for the tourney; are they starters?

It would be nice to see a big 10 team win the natty once again

I didnt know about the injuries; who were they and are they lost for the tourney; are they starters?

It would be nice to see a big 10 team win the natty once again
Smith went down with a calf strain vs msu, missed multiple minutes. Yesterday, Colvin started the second half for him. He was pretty limited in his play. Didn’t attack and jump much. I thought he tore his ACL the way his knee buckled.

Edey rolled his ankle/had an awkward “leg stuck behind him moment” vs msu as well. He was also questionable yesterday.

These had painter playing with lineups a bit and playing bigger minutes for a few lower rostered guys. The rest was needed more than the win.

A new batch of players to disappoint their fanbase, eh?

Vicious cycle of being a Purdue fan........
I’ve yet to be disappointed this year. Been a fun ride. Hope it keeps going. This years freshmen and next years class brings in a totally different type of player painter has had. More guard athleticism and talent. NBA caliber players. Shooters. And stretch big men. Fits PJ Thompsons offense at Purdue. This is his first year calling the offense after Terry Johnson lost it last year for running a big man oriented and focused offense. PJ changed it.

I’ve yet to be disappointed this year. Been a fun ride. Hope it keeps going. This years freshmen and next years class brings in a totally different type of player painter has had. More guard athleticism and talent. NBA caliber players. Shooters. And stretch big men. Fits PJ Thompsons offense at Purdue. This is his first year calling the offense after Terry Johnson lost it last year for running a big man oriented and focused offense. PJ changed it.
Disappointed Last Man Standing GIF by Laff

Reactions: mrcyfan
it is pitiful for opposing fans to come on hawkeye board to explain away another loss in post season. 1 trick pony.
Na. I was actually reading football and saw this. Besides, only fun topics in the Purdue board right now are football and our recruit that went off for 38 with a fever in the state semi-finals last night. Everything else is just the same stuff that’s been discussed all year.

I for one will be rooting for Purdue (MP is a good coach/person IMO) to bust through the NCCAT wall or any other BIG team. BIG needs to show up for a change in tourney.
I agree with rooting for Painter in the tourney. Seems like a good guy and coach. Never heard or seen anything bad about him.

Edward’s was a 1 man show. Ivey was widely inconsistent still and a 1 man show as well.

Smith is a top 5 PG playing with the NPOY and surrounded by 5 40% shooters. What more do you want?
Top 5 PG in the BIG, but the gap between him and the top is large. Just watch the championship game.

Sounds familiar.

Not good guards compared to other sweet 16 caliber teams.

Not athletic enough.
Yet, they’ve had zero issues this year against those athletic teams. And that was before Colvin and Heide was getting more run. I am excited about the athleticism coming. Very unpainter like, but in the PJ Thompson offense, could be fun.

Yet, they’ve had zero issues this year against those athletic teams. And that was before Colvin and Heide was getting more run. I am excited about the athleticism coming. Very unpainter like, but in the PJ Thompson offense, could be fun.
Why are you on an Iowa board trying to convince iowa fans that Purdue won't flame out in the tourney? ****ing weird. Go party with some Purdue fans

Reactions: RocknRollface
All the great Purdue teams, and then the last time they were in the final four was 1980 when they beat the last time in the final four, Iowa team, minus Ronnie Lester in the last constellation game. If any fan base should be pissed, Purdue fans have a reason to be.

Reactions: uihawk82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT