ADVERTISEMENT

UNI

The Price Lab Gym was built in the late 90s and was very nice. Uni turned it into offices and tore everything up. It could have been a great wrestling/volleyball practice facility and it is a 1/2 mile away from the west gym and on campus. Uni has always been run by morons. Now more so than ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: T8KUDWN and el dub
The Price Lab Gym was built in the late 90s and was very nice. Uni turned it into offices and tore everything up. It could have been a great wrestling/volleyball practice facility and it is a 1/2 mile away from the west gym and on campus. Uni has always been run but morons. Now more so than ever.
Unfortunately, the university couldn't afford the deferred maintenance of $17 million at the time. I believe the money used to renovate it after it was burnt down due to arson was from insurance. In hindsight, it would have been a great practice facility. UNI's budget is always a concern though.

Unfortunately, the university couldn't afford the deferred maintenance of $17 million at the time. I believe the money used to renovate it after it was burnt down due to arson was from insurance. In hindsight, it would have been a great practice facility. UNI's budget is always a concern though.
From 2000 to 2015 I believe most of the other buildings on campus were refurbish. Funding for those buildings was always "found" somehow. No one I talked to on campus at the time could figure out how that was happening every year. The athletics department for sure was not thrilled about the funding allocations going on. I knew a few good people who left UNI because of those "games" to go to work for other schools. UNI couldn't afford $1000 for practice jerseys but could afford a $40 million renovation to some administrative building.

In the end, I think Price Lab and one other staff office building were the only ones torn down. The gym was 15-20 years old when they tore the rest of the school down (2014?). Price lab was torn down for politics. I was told back in 2005ish that Cedar Falls City Govt and UNI officials wanted to build a new CF HS and move it onto UNI's campus and basically create a new lab school that tax payers would have to pay for and support. Uni would still get to run its weird teaching experiments, teacher development programs, and have majority administrative control over the school. It turned out 15 years later that that was actually true. The new CF HS is being built by the UNI Dome on the old soccer fields.

Back on topic, Price Lab's gym, locker rooms, pool, training/fitness area, bathrooms, concession area are still intact and very usable. UNI has repurposed the gym 2 or 3 times now since Price lab closed and was torn down. They easily could have pushed volleyball and wrestling to there. The track and field team likely still uses the running track and field next to the gym.

UNI has always been run by morons and narcissists. It is an open joke on campus amongst "rank and file" staff.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and el dub
From 2000 to 2015 I believe most of the other buildings on campus were refurbish. Funding for those buildings was always "found" somehow. No one I talked to on campus at the time could figure out how that was happening every year. The athletics department for sure was not thrilled about the funding allocations going on. I knew a few good people who left UNI because of those "games" to go to work for other schools. UNI couldn't afford $1000 for practice jerseys but could afford a $40 million renovation to some administrative building.

In the end, I think Price Lab and one other staff office building were the only ones torn down. The gym was 15-20 years old when they tore the rest of the school down (2014?). Price lab was torn down for politics. I was told back in 2005ish that Cedar Falls City Govt and UNI officials wanted to build a new CF HS and move it onto UNI's campus and basically create a new lab school that tax payers would have to pay for and support. Uni would still get to run its weird teaching experiments, teacher development programs, and have majority administrative control over the school. It turned out 15 years later that that was actually true. The new CF HS is being built by the UNI Dome on the old soccer fields.

Back on topic, Price Lab's gym, locker rooms, pool, training/fitness area, bathrooms, concession area are still intact and very usable. UNI has repurposed the gym 2 or 3 times now since Price lab closed and was torn down. They easily could have pushed volleyball and wrestling to there. The track and field team likely still uses the running track and field next to the gym.

UNI has always been run by morons and narcissists. It is an open joke on campus amongst "rank and file" staff.
They put new tennis courts where the school was and share them with CF high and the public, so our tax money would cover it. I didn’t realize they covered that gym into administration offices. What a shame, that was a very nice gym, and as was said, would be perfect for practice facility for wrestling. Administration of every organization always put themselves 1st, even though half them could be eliminated.

The Price Lab Gym was built in the late 90s and was very nice. Uni turned it into offices and tore everything up.

Back on topic, Price Lab's gym, locker rooms, pool, training/fitness area, bathrooms, concession area are still intact and very usable.

Good Morning What GIF by Party Down South

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
The gym area is the only part of the building that has been altered from what I saw. Last I heard they drilled and bolted office dividers and equipment to the basketball court floor and ripped out the bleachers. Lockers, training area, storage, pool, etc was untouched. It could be converted back in a few months or less.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
The gym area is the only part of the building that has been altered from what I saw. Last I heard they drilled and bolted office dividers and equipment to the basketball court floor and ripped out the bleachers. Lockers, training area, storage, pool, etc was untouched. It could be converted back in a few months or less.

Thanks for the clarification.

I always found it silly that they didn't utilize this facility as-is/was given the aging West Gym and the elimination of the East Gym. The new facility they are working on will probably be even better but that doesn't change the above.

Reactions: T8KUDWN

The UNI athletic department is horrible. The stuff I have heard is beyond incompetent.

This statement is not true.
You were definitely right. The University came through with a promise of new facilities. You seem to be in the know of UNI wrestling. What is the timeline? In other words if they are fundraising for a year and cutting ground in two, new facility in 3? Will a recruit in the class of 2023 be in a new facility by their 2nd, 3rd, 4th?

My favorite thing about wrestling in the old west gym was when they would turn off all the lights in the whole place, and just turn on the one light directly above the mat when it was time to kick off the meet. It gave quite the atmosphere. Well... that and one particular Mat Maid.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
You were definitely right. The University came through with a promise of new facilities. You seem to be in the know of UNI wrestling. What is the timeline? In other words if they are fundraising for a year and cutting ground in two, new facility in 3? Will a recruit in the class of 2023 be in a new facility by their 2nd, 3rd, 4th?
You have an obvious axe to grind with UNI. You also didn't read any of the linked articles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT