ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa lists its Mayflower Residence Hall for $45 million

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
— Four months after the University of Iowa reported “a search for a buyer is in progress” for its 55-year-old Mayflower Residence Hall, the institution officially has listed the 326,000-square-foot property for $45 million.

Estimating monthly payments at $306,181, the eight-story building includes 523 rooms “built and furnished to house 1,015 residents as a dormitory, with one to four residents per unit,” according to the listing posted Wednesday on Zillow.com.

The university doesn’t plan to vacate the property until next summer — with plans to still house students there through the upcoming academic year beginning in August.

Advertisement

“It will be delivered to the buyer vacant in the summer of 2024,” according to the listing, noting, “There are both management and maintenance facilities making property management self-contained.”

The Mayflower sale is part of the university’s “housing master plan,” which includes building a new 250- to 400-bed residence hall specifically for returning students — as opposed to freshmen, who account for most of the 6,000-plus students UI houses on its campus annually.

Although UI officials haven’t shared a specific timeline for the new residence hall, they predict it will cost $40 to $60 million and will be paid for with proceeds from the Mayflower sale and more borrowing.

At a similar size to the university’s existing Stanley Hall, capable of housing 354 students, or Daum, which can house 344 students, the new returning-student hall also is planned for UI-owned land within the “east side residence hall neigborbood” — near dining services and undergraduate classes.

By ridding itself of the Mayflower property, which UI bought outright in 1982, the campus will shed deferred maintenance costs associated with the building — which are part of the UI’s current $1.2 billion backlog in building renewal needs.

Although its closure after the next school year will cut capacity for current students, UI plans to continue using its Parklawn Residence Hall until the new dorm debuts.

Daily News​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox every day

In making its case before the Board of Regents to sell Mayflower, UI officials noted it’s more than a mile from the main campus and amenities — including food service and classes. It also is the “last chosen” and “first transferred from” residence hall by first-year students, given its location.

This week’s Zillow listing, which as of Thursday had nearly 3,000 views and 210 “saves,” notes the building includes first-floor amenities like a convenience store, lounges, classrooms, meeting space, and a gym. It sits on 4.1 acres along a recently-raised Dubuque Street, given its flood woes in the past.

The site looks out over the Iowa River and Terrell Mill Park and has a rich history — having been built in 1968 in place of what started in 1851 as the Walter Terrell Masion, housing the entrepreneur who built a dam and grain mill along the Iowa River.

In the 1930s or 1940s, the mansion became the Mayflower Inn, featuring the Mayflower nightclub. After it was demolished and replaced with apartments, the university in 1979 began leasing portions of the building to help ease its overcrowding.

In 1999, now as owner, the university spent $1.5 million to renovate Mayflower — giving it a game room, coffee shop, and multipurpose room.

The pictures on Zillow look exactly how you would expect - an old dormitory. Ugh.

Looks like a tough sell to me.

The Demo for the thing could be over a million. If I was the City of IC, I would not be pleased about this. If the UI sells it, they also wash their hands of it. If some crappy LLC buys it, goes bankrupt. Hello taxpayers of Iowa City!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Hawk_4shur
That eventually HAS to be a tear-down, no?

Trying to retrofit that monstrosity into decent rental housing would be stupidly expensive compared to tear down and build new, IMO.
Agreed.

Or, someone will turn it into a nursing home for Medicaid patients and stuff our old and poor in there.

:mad:

That eventually HAS to be a tear-down, no?

Trying to retrofit that monstrosity into decent rental housing would be stupidly expensive compared to tear down and build new, IMO.
Renovations and repairs would easily be 50-60 million to make it suitable. Even still the money dynamics just don't work. if you create 2 rooms into 1, would need almost 2000 a month to make work. Would be easier to leave as 1 room small studio apartments. Like I said $500 to $600 would still be tough but repairs and maintenance could go down. Would likely need to create parking ramp as well, and would need to make sure agreement with Cambus continued to service the area. Maybe at 15 million it becomes possible to make some good money off of it. For me cash flow should pay off in 4-8 years to make it a worthy investment and this just isn't it.

Agreed.

Or, someone will turn it into a nursing home for Medicaid patients and stuff our old and poor in there.

:mad:
Really difficult to have nursing home patients on multiple floors, it also likely wouldn't get approved because of not meeting the up to date fire codes. It will be a rental property of some sort.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Ok, I'm working the math here.

There are 2,000 sq ft condos in IC listed for close to $1 million (listed, not sold).

If there are 7 floors, and 326,000 sq ft, that's 46,500 per floor.

Renovate the top 6 floors into 16 luxury condos, 2,500 sq ft each = 40,000, leaving 6,500 ft for hallways, etc.

6 floors * 16 * $800,000 = $76,800,000. Bottom floor can be coffee shops, workout facilities, lounges, etc.

Obviously a total gut job and renovation. Can you do that for, say $15 mil? $20 mil?

Offer $35 million, spend $20 million, make $20 million?

🤷‍♀️

The land is only worth $1.4 million. Thing’s a tear-down.

Hard pass.

Really difficult to have nursing home patients on multiple floors, it also likely wouldn't get approved because of not meeting the up to date fire codes. It will be a rental property of some sort.
I worked in a nursing home with multiple floors. Of course there was that time when those residents drowned in the elevator during a flash flood, so maybe you have a point there.

It's set up with two separate suites sharing a bathroom in the middle now isn't it? That wouldn't be feasible for apartments.
$45 million is a lot for a tear down and rebuild. I think I'll pass.

I worked in a nursing home with multiple floors. Of course there was that time when those residents drowned in the elevator during a flash flood, so maybe you have a point there.
The issue is in a fire, how do you get patients out with wheelchairs if elevator isn't operational?? Needless to say it doesn't work

Reactions: JMNSHO
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT