ADVERTISEMENT

Up 12 midway through 4th quarter

General Tso

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2004
That's all you need to know a about this team's ability. They had enough talent to build a 12 point lead late in the game on the road against a ranked league opponent. Unfortunately, the mental side of the game was the issue today. Hopefully this helps them play with a lead in the future.

I caught some of Cory’s post game and in the live chat people were saying players had the flu or food poisoning. Anyone else know anything about that?

Disclaimer: Not using this as an excuse and I don’t think the team will either, but it would explain why they didn’t look as energized at times.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I think last year's game at Ohio State or the one two years ago was like that too, Iowa was up double digits in the second half, then they made a run. However that time Iowa still won.

I think they were up 12 and the refs let a couple travels go and bailed out the osu girl anytime she went out of control to the hole.
I think it was right out of the timeout up 12 they went to McMahon and she goes right through stuelke out of control and bailed her out.
That set the table

I think they were up 12 and the refs let a couple travels go and bailed out the osu girl anytime she went out of control to the hole.
I think it was right out of the timeout up 12 they went to McMahon and she goes right through stuelke out of control and bailed her out.
That set the table
The ref called a block because she assumed Stuelke was inside the block-charge ring. I'd have to go back to see if she actually was, but it didn't look like it to me.

It didn't help that you could see the hesitation by the ref on the call.

Iowa had just got a call on the other end against McMahon because she actually was inside the restricted area, so it was probably fresh in the idiot female ref's mind.

And again, she might've actually made the right call depending on where Stuelke's feet were but based on the ref's reaction she didn't see that sh** clearly at all................

The ref called a block because she assumed Stuelke was inside the block-charge ring. I'd have to go back to see if she actually was, but it didn't look like it to me.

Iowa had just got a call on the other end against McMahon because she actually was inside the restricted area, so it was probably fresh in the idiot female ref's mind.

And again, she might've actually made the right call depending on where Stuelke's feet were but based on the ref's reaction she didn't see that sh** clearly at all................
That’s not a thing in WBB.

I think the ref assumed they gets yelled at by osu’s izzo like coach and have to hear the fans boo.

We went away from Affolter. She didn't get enough run today. She will box and rebound.

To me, the difference was two things:

1- the numerous second and third and a few fourth offensive rebounds/ tipped balls that went back to OSU. Hustle plays favored OSU by a large margin.

2- not being able to stop the paint touches and finish. I know we were worried about the drive and kick. OSU shot well from 3, I get it. But there has to be some sort of emphasis on doubling and not letting our posts just go 1v1.

The game was Iowa’s to lose for sure.
Iowa needs to improve its team free throw shooting. This has been an issue all season for the most part.

tOSUs initial defensive set was set up perfectly to stop #22. Iowa’s offense (and Clark’s) came about because UIowa’s offense would pass the ball 2,3 or 4 times and force the Buckeye defense to move…. This movement allowed #22 to move off the ball to open spots in the court for shots or if she had the ball, allow her to cut thru the defense with the ball for easy shots/layups. It also made for more open shots and easier shots for Clark’s mates.

Once Iowa got that lead in the 3rd, they seemed to lose their patience/discipline (see above paragraph) and tried to score quick instead of running their offense and taking time off the clock. They shot the ball too quickly and that allowed tOSU to rebound and score quickly in transition and quickly erase the advantage Iowa worked hard to establish. Again, this was a game Iowa let get away and hopefully they will learn from it. I think the coaches let this one get away as much as the players did. Meanwhile, I hope Iowa figures out this FT thing because if I play Iowa, Ud make them beat me from the line. Methinks that is their Achilles.

The offense also stagnated... too many early long 3 pt attempts without working the offense and too many missed wide open shots when they did run offense. Also failed to value the ball.

Reactions: cmhawks99
We went away from Affolter. She didn't get enough run today. She will box and rebound.

1- the numerous second and third and a few fourth offensive rebounds/ tipped balls that went back to OSU. Hustle plays favored OSU by a large margin.

2- not being able to stop the paint touches and finish. I know we were worried about the drive and kick. OSU shot well from 3, I get it. But there has to be some sort of emphasis on doubling and not letting our posts just go 1v1.
Definitely could have used her toughness yesterday.....She's been underutilized all year. More from Stuelke would have helped too. I'd say they're being careful w/ Stuelke, but she hasn't played enough all year either. Both produce when they're on the court.......

That's all you need to know a about this team's ability. They had enough talent to build a 12 point lead late in the game on the road against a ranked league opponent. Unfortunately, the mental side of the game was the issue today. Hopefully this helps them play with a lead in the future.
Good teams lose games all the time. Iowa is a good team. It's one game, and they still almost won. They will respond.

Definitely could have used her toughness yesterday.....She's been underutilized all year. More from Stuelke would have helped too. I'd say they're being careful w/ Stuelke, but she hasn't played enough all year either. Both produce when they're on the court.......
Not sure where you're coming from, Sydney hasn't been underutilized. She's been playing a TON and has been doing a great job. She might not have got quite the minutes yesterday but it was an off day for her and several other players

It is one loss. I don't know if our fan base overreacts more after a win or after a loss.

This is our team, with all of the perceived strengths and weaknesses. The Hawks will learn from this and move on.

Any way, in case you missed this in the game thread:

With 8:50 to go in the game, Ohio State called time out & Iowa led 70-58.

With 6:06 to go, Molly hit a 3 to make the score 75-69.

With 3:07 to go, CC hit a layup to make the score 78-77 (in this 5 min, 43 second stretch, Iowa got outscored 19-8)

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
When the refs let you take 3 steps every time you touch the ball and call fouls every time you miss a shot, you're bound to have a career day.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. Not only were there some NBA 3-steps, but she'd 2-step shuffle her feet before dribbling. I kept yelling at the TV wondering how they were missing this.

They got outscored 42-27 in the 4th and OT.

That tells you what you need to know about the glaring deficiency of this team against upper tier competition (with size).

Except against Iowa St, k-St, Va Tech and IU. 😂 in fact tOSU isn’t close to the biggest team we have even faced.

McMahon had an incredible game and ran over about 8 people in the process. We got called for multiple charges that looked like her normal drive to the rack…

We are used to Stuelke having fouls, not Martin…that hurt.

Nothing terribly alarming about this loss…

Last edited:
Should have gone to Davis more she was getting in to the free throw area when she wanted and that floater she does is money, missed layups and 12 tos from two players killed the hawks

Yes…Caitlyn didn’t need to start hoisting either. No biggie, she IS the show, but she needs to relax sometimes and let it flow.

Reactions: szohn

Bingo, great point I forgot about the extra possessions….this is dead on. We got some crazy unfortunate tips & bounces. Wed have the ball and then suddenly it’s out and tOSU would be laying it in.

We will win by double digits at home.

Wow…I actually learned things in this thread. Not getting mad, finger pointing, lots of great points…

Loose balls, unfortunate bounces, a career day, very inconsistent foul calls & calls period (I had actually decided traveling was called differently in the women’s game & I'm serious) and CC got a bit panicky at the end IMO.

Nothing really to worry about….

2 critics, I agree on Affolter getting more minutes, same with O’Grady. She isnt as strong but much better offensively & a bit taller.

And have had to learn to play without Stuelke plenty, anyway. Let’s not give her the hook so soon and often and let her learn to play through it. She literally gets better and better, she has learn and she can’t do it sitting.

Goodman played under 2 minutes total yesterday. I wonder if she was one of the Iowa players that were sick. Marshall and Affolter definitely looked lethargic too.

Yes…Caitlyn didn’t need to start hoisting either. No biggie, she IS the show, but she needs to relax sometimes and let it flow.

there were a few drives to the basket where CC should have shot, imo; instead, she passed, where that player then missed

in tight games like this one, she needs to be more selfish and take the shot herself, imo

☝️

there were a few drives to the basket where CC should have shot, imo; instead, she passed, where that player then missed

in tight games like this one, she needs to be more selfish and take the shot herself, imo

Yes, but….she didn’t need to shoot hurried 40 footers. Id have preferred her going to the rack. With that said, I wouldn’t even call this a critique. She’s Caitlyn Clark and I’m a 53-year-old balding fat man… That’s just what I’d prefer. I wasn’t mad at her I didn’t like the 40 footer though.🤪

Yes, but….she didn’t need to shoot hurried 40 footers. Id have preferred her going to the rack. With that said, I wouldn’t even call this a critique. She’s Caitlyn Clark and I’m a 53-year-old balding fat man… That’s just what I’d prefer. I wasn’t mad at her I didn’t like the 40 footer though.🤪

She drove to the basket quite a bit, which resulted in all of the FT attempts.

She shot 39% from 3 and 48% overall, so, imo, it's hard to argue too much with her shot attempts.

Caitlin played 43 of the 45 minutes.

How she got her 45 points:
7-18 (39%) from 3
5-7 (71%) from 2 pt range
12-25 (48%) Overall Shooting

14-16 (88%) FTs

They got careless and sloppy. Some bad shot selections and unadvised passes.

Agree with many, CC passed to much in the 4th quarter
drive the lane draw a foul

They got careless and sloppy. Some bad shot selections and unadvised passes.
I wonder if they wore down. They seemed to be losing on rebounding battles down the stretch that they didn't lose earlier in the game. The ball got ripped out of their hands several times on rebounds. I do wonder if the flu/food poisoning that was reported affected some of the players.

For all of the critics:

When you feel like shit, how well do you perform?

Or do you choose to not perform because you're lying on the couch?

Well, the Iowa women didn't call in sick. They showed up and played a full game plus an extra 5 minutes. No wonder they ran out of gas at the end.

Just something to think about.

Last edited:
She drove to the basket quite a bit, which resulted in all of the FT attempts.

She shot 39% from 3 and 48% overall, so, imo, it's hard to argue too much with her shot attempts.

Caitlin played 43 of the 45 minutes.

How she got her 45 points:
7-18 (39%) from 3
5-7 (71%) from 2 pt range
12-25 (48%) Overall Shooting

14-16 (88%) FTs

I meant late, only. No issues with her shot attempts, passing, floor game in general etc…

She came down and shot a 40 ft bomb we didn’t need and then again shortly after if I remember correctly

No but i expected them to win the Big 10 and after today they probably won't.
Want to put a bet on that? 1 loss to the 12 ranked team on the road? We’ll see if the Buckeyes can keep this up for the entire season. I’m going to say they’ll drop a few games they shouldn’t. Did we let one get away? Sure. We’re still the favorites for the title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT