ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Kirk has passed Bo & is now at 196 Wins (3rd All Time in B1G History). Woody Hayes at 205, Amos Alonzo Stagg at 199

Bo did it in 21 seasons with less games and 10 rose bowl appearances
stfu.gif

??? Is Kirk coaching at Michigan or OSU? With their recruiting advantages? Apples to watermelons. Not to mention back in the B1G 2 little 8 days, (before Fry challenged the league with the pass game), Bo and Woody played a whole bunch of SHIT teams in the conference EVERY year. Thats a fact....

The acknowledgement of the accomplishment isn’t to necessarily say Kirk is better, though if you really want to dig in and parse things out, Schembechler (and also Woody Hayes) and some pretty significant built-in advantages and also racked up a lot of wins in weaker Big 10 conferences.

It’s fine to just acknowledge the accomplishment and be impressed that he’s maintained this level of consistency over a quarter century and move on with your day.

All I did was state facts, lol and some of you guys went off the deep end, LMAO 🤣 😂 😆
FACTS without some context mean little. Using the 70's to 90's B1G that Bo and Woody coached in where most of the league was crap vs the current one where many of those teams are markedly more competitive then they were then. Also Kirk plays against Michigan, and OSU not for them. We may not play them every year, but Kirk has been around 50/50 against Michigan, AND PSU who was not in the B1G2/little 8. Wisconsin is WAY better now then they were then, WAY better, NW and Minny are much better consistently then in the little 8, on down the line. For a stretch when Dantonio was at MSU they were damn good, and he and Kirk had some great battles. Remember you can't just look at teams like Wisconsin this year, but over the last 2 decades.

You hate KF. KF just keeps winning and it pisses you off. Lolol
Facts , don't piss me off like some people. I love seeing my Hawkeyes win. Do I think KF could have done more on the offensive side of the ball, absolutely. KF doesn't even have a 62% win ratio to get into the Hall of Fame. So yes I called out his longevity. Facts are facts

Reactions: Mohawkeye
FACTS without some context mean little. Using the 70's to 90's B1G that Bo and Woody coached in where most of the league was crap vs the current one where many of those teams are markedly more competitive then they were then. Also Kirk plays against Michigan, and OSU not for them. We may not play them every year, but Kirk has been around 50/50 against Michigan, AND PSU who was not in the B1G2/little 8. Wisconsin is WAY better now then they were then, WAY better, NW and Minny are much better consistently then in the little 8, on down the line. For a stretch when Dantonio was at MSU they were damn good, and he and Kirk had some great battles. Remember you can't just look at teams like Wisconsin this year, but over the last 2 decades.
KF has had some of the weakest schedules in all of college football in his time at the helm. As for the 70s thru the 90s I'd have to disagree with you there. Maybe the 70s but 80s and 90s no way

• Haha
Reactions: GHawk
KF has had some of the weakest schedules in all of college football in his time at the helm. As for the 70s thru the 90s I'd have to disagree with you there. Maybe the 70s but 80s and 90s no way
Again we are talking about conference schedules, since this is about conference wins only. My point being the gap between Michigan and OSU and the rest of the B1G for much of that time was quite large, and you're trying to compare that to the gap between Iowa and the rest of the league. To me THAT is context. I've said this before, but I just don't think that if you really compare the players we are able to recruit, and all the other intagibles, that Iowa really starts from absolutely NO better point A) if you will at the beginning of the season with point B) being the final record, and yet we win more then most of our conference counterparts. That IS coaching to me, plain and simple. Putting it another way, I don't think Iowa is any better really then Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, NW, Indiana, Purdue, PSU, MSU, or Illinois, and yet we win consistently more then any of them except Wisconsin until recently.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
??? Is Kirk coaching at Michigan or OSU? With their recruiting advantages? Apples to watermelons. Not to mention back in the B1G 2 little 8 days, (before Fry challenged the league with the pass game), Bo and Woody played a whole bunch of SHIT teams in the conference EVERY year. Thats a fact....

No reason to bring logic into the conversation.

Bo didn't coach in the 90s anyway, so just use the 70s and 80s for him. And he was 5-12 in bowl games and 2-8 in Rose Bowl games so against stiff competition he wasn't very competitive himself, which just further shows how weak the conference was then outside of OSU and a little bit of Iowa with Hayden in the 80s. He did go 11-9-1 against OSU. Kirk has been as good as Bo against good teams, both probably won about 40 percent of them, Kirk just faces them more often than Bo did against because MSU, PSU, Purdue (with Tiller) and Wisconsin all pop up in the top ten from time to time. We even beat ISU when they were ranked top 10 a couple years ago for instance. Bo might've faced two per year, sometimes Iowa has faced three. Maybe I'll start working on a project just to see how close they really are, maybe I'll include Hayden in there as well to compare to Kirk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT