ADVERTISEMENT

KF Top 7 Tenure all time?

NaptownMDHawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2018
Annapolis, MD
We are witnessing greatness, soak it up because it will likely never happen again, at any school.

I was thinking about the lofty places Iowa could go over the coming years with our recruiting on an uptick, and our playing style being 'modernized' a bit, as well as our coaching staff getting 'younger and hungrier' - that led me to research a few things including the longevity of the staff, not just 'longest active' as we always year on TV which is good to hear for those that might be watching Iowa for the first time.

KF Longest Tenured Rank
Right now, Kirk Ferentz ranks 7th all time in the FBS ranks for longest tenured coach in history. If he sees his existing contract through to completion he would land in the top 5 the order goes like this:

Source: https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gallery/longest-lasting-college-coaches-051914

Name | (Age retired) | Years Coached
  1. Joe Paterno (84) - 46 years (untouchable record)
  2. Bobby Bowden (79) - 34 years (not impossible)
  3. Frank Beamer (69) - 28 years (very reachable)
  4. Woody Hayes (?) - 28 years (very reachable)
  5. Kirk Ferentz (68 in 2025) - 27 years
  6. Bear Bryant (68) - 25 years
  7. Tom Osbourne (61) - 25 years
  8. Larry Blakeney (67) - 24 years
  9. Hayden Fry - (?) - 20 years
  10. Don James (59) - 18 years
  11. Bill Snyder (83 at end of current contract) - 17 years *before he stepped away in '05
  12. Phillip Fulmer (58) - 17 years
  13. AVG AGE OF RETIREMENT: 68 years old. (*did not include KF and Snyder's age).
Pretty remarkable territory there.

Career Win Total & Ranking:
If he does indeed stay through his contract his win total, and more importantly his B1G win total will move into the highest echelon of B1G coaching history. Given the trends lately and what our average total for the last 5 years (since 2013), KF has reeled off a record of 43-23 ( 8.5 wins per year, and 5.5 B1G wins per year). Using that as a guidepost, including for this year he has 8 more years left, which would give him: 68 more total wins and 44 more B1G wins. Here is where that would place him for overall wins as a B1G coach (not coaching career):

Source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-ten/coaches.html
  1. Amos Alonzo Stagg - 232 Wins
  2. Kirk Ferentz - 211*
  3. Woody Hayes - 205 wins
  4. Bo Schembechler - 194
  5. Joe Paterno - 162
Carrer Losses / HOF Consideration
Interesting note that i stumbled across is that Hayden Fry over his 37 years accumulated the most losses in NCAA history with 180 (next closest was at 159). Also another note of importance, that KF is sitting at .601 winning percentage, maintaining an 8 win/season clip will keep him above that important number and eligible for HOF induction.

Bowl Wins and Appearances:
Assuming we win half our bowls over the next 8 years, that means 4 more wins and he would have the most Bowl wins in B1G history at 11, and will be alone at the top with 21 bowls attended.

B1G Wins Only?
I don't know where to find just B1G wins only, not just total wins; but I did count up how many wins he has in the big and it was 91 before the season, and could finish at 135 B1G wins using the numbers above. You have to think he would rank high on B1G wins if I can find the list, which I will come back and revise this post once someone can find it or I have myself.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News