ADVERTISEMENT

Updates on Team. Per Fran, Connor is 6th Man. Starters are Joe, JBO, Patrick, Keegan, Filip.

If I recall, Garza seemed to get near the basket, and then turn and hook the defender with his elbow and get a close up shot or get fouled. I always wondered why the never called him for the hook.
Because it was freedom of movement and both of his hands were on the ball. Kofi lowers his shoulder and slams into defenders chests, which is a charge.

This was a great segment on Kris' potential.

Note how Luka and Fran talk of the twins as individuals and how their skill sets work together.

And we became aware of just how bad if a shooter he can be. Not sure who was worse, Perkins or PMac. Hopefully they've worked on it. We don't have Joe W to bail us out anymore. Teams have figured out that pressuring Grandpa Twitter (JBo) pretty much stifles him.
I’m hopefully that with JBo playing the 2 guard position, that they can set some more screens for him to get his shot off with more ease.

That glue guy was important the last two seasons but the composition of this team does not really leave a lot of room for a guy that brings no real offense to the floor. The hour is approaching when we all see if Connor has some offensive ability beyond merely feeding the post.

It's interesting that Fran has come out & said Connor is the 6th man.

But like you said, he doesn't bring much offense to the table, so he better be surrounded by shooters

@The Deplorable Sleeping Dog , Tom Kakert had similar comments regarding Payton Sandfort that you do.

And don't forget about Kris Murray.

I posted this 5 days ago (Oct 27), but what follows comes from the latest Hawkeye Report Podcast. Skip ahead to the 23:50 mark where they talk about this year's team.

Key points:

* Tom's Starting Line up for the game vs Slippery Rock, Fri Nov 5: JoeT...JBo...Patrick...Keegan...Filip

* Concerns: JoeT's consistency & the big men.

* Other players to watch: Payton is playing/shooting well. Kris Murray is playing well, can shoot it & knows how to play. Ulis was slow coming back from wrist surgery & has been up and down.

* Tom said the big men have struggled: Filip is still adjusting. Josh O is still developing & getting his wind. Riley is adjusting to physical basketball at this level against grown men.

Michigan, Purdue, & Illinois all have really good big men. Tom said this Iowa team will miss Jack Nunge; Jack would have started at the 5 this year for Iowa.

* Secret scrimmage vs Bradley: Iowa won by double figures (they do periods; 10 min of man to man; 10 min of zone; there are pauses where they insert guys). Keegan was tremendous & went off (19 points in 10 minutes). JoeT played well but had moments where he played too fast.

* Tom said he thinks Iowa is a 20-11, bubble (and NCAA Tournament) team.

LINK TO FULL PODCAST:

Hawkeye Report Podcast 418 – Hawkeye Report Podcast

I'm just excited for the season to start already. I'm even looking forward to the exhibition game. We have so many intriguing players this year.

-Will Joe T finally play under control and will Fran give him enough leash to grow into the starting PG when he does make some mistakes? I love Joe's tenacity on defense and he just brings a dimension to our team that few PG's are able to provide when he's playing well.

-I'm excited to see JBO and JoeT play together. Fran's best Sienna teams used a 2 PG system. The year where we employed a 2 PG system with Mike Gesell and Anthony Clemmons starting together (maybe '14?) was one of my favorite Fran teams. IIRC that team was one of his better defensive teams too.

-JoeT and Pat Mac have a good chemistry and I'm excited to see them pushing the ball up the floor together. I think Pat will have an Aaron White-esq season this year.

-Can Keegan step into his role as our star player? Talent, confidence, length, athleticism. He has it all. How will he transition from 6th man to star and will he be able to live up to the hype of being a top NBA pick?

-How will Rebracca fit in? Excited to see him in our motion offense and to see how capable he will be for us in the post this year.

-I think the Swiss army knife 6th man role is perfect for Connor. He can play most positions and while may not do any of them extraordinarily, he is competent and steady when on the floor.

-Tony Perkins is a great athlete and a hard worker. Can we see him grow into a star off the bench for us?

-Ahron Ulis was a highly rated recruit and a big PG with plus athleticism. How will he do in a bigger role for us, and will he be able to move on past his wrist injury?

-Sandfort can shoot and the coaches have been high on him. Will he be able to give us another reliable shooter to come in off the bench when JBO needs rest?

-Kris Murray played in his brother's shadow, but we need shooters and scorers this year. According to what I've read he plays this role and I'm excited to see what he can do with it.

-Ogundele is big and athletic. Can he give us 10-15 minutes or maybe more when we need him? Chances are Keegan and Filip will be outmatched at times going against the future NBA centers that litter the B1G this year. Can Josh step up and be the bruiser that we need in our league?

So many questions, but I'm looking forward to finding out the answers. It all starts with the exhibition on Friday!

I'm just excited for the season to start already. I'm even looking forward to the exhibition game. We have so many intriguing players this year.

-Will Joe T finally play under control and will Fran give him enough leash to grow into the starting PG when he does make some mistakes? I love Joe's tenacity on defense and he just brings a dimension to our team that few PG's are able to provide when he's playing well.

-I'm excited to see JBO and JoeT play together. Fran's best Sienna teams used a 2 PG system. The year where we employed a 2 PG system with Mike Gesell and Anthony Clemmons starting together (maybe '14?) was one of my favorite Fran teams. IIRC that team was one of his better defensive teams too.

-JoeT and Pat Mac have a good chemistry and I'm excited to see them pushing the ball up the floor together. I think Pat will have an Aaron White-esq season this year.

-Can Keegan step into his role as our star player? Talent, confidence, length, athleticism. He has it all. How will he transition from 6th man to star and will he be able to live up to the hype of being a top NBA pick?

-How will Rebracca fit in? Excited to see him in our motion offense and to see how capable he will be for us in the post this year.

-I think the Swiss army knife 6th man role is perfect for Connor. He can play most positions and while may not do any of them extraordinarily, he is competent and steady when on the floor.

-Tony Perkins is a great athlete and a hard worker. Can we see him grow into a star off the bench for us?

-Ahron Ulis was a highly rated recruit and a big PG with plus athleticism. How will he do in a bigger role for us, and will he be able to move on past his wrist injury?

-Sandfort can shoot and the coaches have been high on him. Will he be able to give us another reliable shooter to come in off the bench when JBO needs rest?

-Kris Murray played in his brother's shadow, but we need shooters and scorers this year. According to what I've read he plays this role and I'm excited to see what he can do with it.

-Ogundele is big and athletic. Can he give us 10-15 minutes or maybe more when we need him? Chances are Keegan and Filip will be outmatched at times going against the future NBA centers that litter the B1G this year. Can Josh step up and be the bruiser that we need in our league?

So many questions, but I'm looking forward to finding out the answers. It all starts with the exhibition on Friday!

Nice summary. :)

Reactions: BigAssTurkeyLeg
Anybody ever watch a game from this vantage point?

Premium seats, behind the basket??

FDCDDojWUAUQW08

FDCDDo1WQAUqriK

Reactions: Underscore2
Josh Oglesby and Brady Ellingson were both great HS shooters as well. No offense to these two players, but I think I'll take a wait and see attitude regarding their prowess in a big time college game.
They’re walk-ons, so not likely to be playing many meaningful minutes for us

Reactions: Franisdaman
Lol that is the worst “premium seating” in sports history.

You would think these "terrace table" seats would be reasonably priced (maybe they are) but no price is listed.

What's interesting is that there are 3 Premium Seat Options for Men's Basketball:

Men's Basketball
Club Seats & Feller Club​
Courtside Seats & Hadley Club​
Terrace Tables​

You can't buy any of these premium tickets thru the UI web site, Instead, you have to fill out this form and they contact you.

That form to fill out:

You would think these "terrace table" seats would be reasonably priced (maybe they are) but no price is listed.

What's interesting is that there are 3 Premium Seat Options for Men's Basketball:

Men's Basketball
Club Seats & Feller Club​
Courtside Seats & Hadley Club​
Terrace Tables​

You can't buy any of these premium tickets thru the UI web site, Instead, you have to fill out this form and they contact you.

That form to fill out:
the club seats and courtside seats require a significant annual contribution in addition to the ticket cost.

Anybody ever watch a game from this vantage point?

Premium seats, behind the basket??

FDCDDojWUAUQW08

FDCDDo1WQAUqriK

I don't get to a lot of games in person.....and I sure as hell will not go unless I get decent seats. When referring to decent seats, this "premium seating" is a LONG ways from the court. At that level I can see the game much much better at home in front of the TV......I don't remember which row, but it seems like anything above row 30 is questionable in terms of your view of the game...at least for this old guy.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I don't get to a lot of games in person.....and I sure as hell will not go unless I get decent seats. When referring to decent seats, this "premium seating" is a LONG ways from the court. At that level I can see the game much much better at home in front of the TV......I don't remember which row, but it seems like anything above row 30 is questionable in terms of your view of the game...at least for this old guy.

for these preconference games, I would just buy the cheapest seat and then move down & towards center court

Reactions: perryhawk
Just 3 more days!

Here's some pregame reading as we look forward to our game vs the one and only The Slippery Rock University, located in Slippery Rock, PA!

I only had a season ticket for 1 year, and row 23 was too close to the action. Did I mention Todd Lickliter was our coach?:cool:

I think the premium seating is designed for "Blue Hairs", who prefer a quick exit to watching the end of a game in CHA.

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
I only had a season ticket for 1 year, and row 23 was too close to the action. Did I mention Todd Lickliter was our coach?:cool:

I think the premium seating is designed for "Blue Hairs", who prefer a quick exit to watching the end of a game in CHA.
Plus, there is ample table space for extra yarn for knitting.

I'm most interested in seeing if this team can actually play defense with JT, Keegan and Patrick all getting starter minutes. It's been several years since Iowa played even average defense. They've been the antithesis of Iowa football. With that said I think they are all significant upgrades defensively over CJ, JoeW, and Connor. Loved Luka's offensive game but if Rebraca can be good defensively then he would be an upgrade in that department as well. I still have nightmares of a few teams pick and rolling the Hawks to death. The only remaining known liability becomes JBo and there were times last year when he actually fared pretty well. In any case it's a lot easier to cover for one than several weaknesses.

Do they include binoculars?

yeah, i can't believe you have to make a donation for these at the top of the arena, behind the basket, "terrace" tickets. I wonder what the tickets then cost. But I am guessing they come with some kind of table service, but still.... heck, you are already at the top of the arena and concessions are right there, so not sure why you would need any "services"

yeah, i can't believe you have to make a donation for these at the top of the arena, behind the basket, "terrace" tickets. I wonder what the tickets then cost. But I am guessing they come with some kind of table service, but still.... heck, you are already at the top of the arena and concessions are right there, so not sure why you would need any "services"
The last season I had tickets (2019-2020) they got some amenities there. I think free chips or something like that. But those are terrible seats. I know. I sat there my second year as a student.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT