ADVERTISEMENT

Updates on Tyler Cook (Signs 2 way contract w/ Denver), Peter Jok, Aaron White & Jarrod Uthoff

Uthoff played 18 mins today....2-6 from the floor (1-4 from 3)...3 rebs...3 asst....1 steal...1 block...0 TOs. And zero PFs, which is not a good stat.

Cook had 6 points total for Denver in an 84-79 win over Orlando. He had 2 rebounds and hit two free throws in 13 min of play. I thought he wasn't supposed to play but I'm glad he saw some action. Pete did not play for the Magic today.

Cook had 6 points total for Denver in an 84-79 win over Orlando. He had 2 rebounds and hit two free throws in 13 min of play. I thought he wasn't supposed to play but I'm glad he saw some action. Pete did not play for the Magic today.

His agent said he wasn't going to play due to injury and then Denver added him to their summer league roster last week. Pretty nice turn of events for Tyler, as playing in the summer league can really help going into training camp as he will have some familiarity with the staff and other players.

And now the Nuggets have traded for Jermani Grant...making Tyler's job even harder. Ugh.

I found the block on NBA.com but cant find the dunk. Any help?

Saw a couple highlights. Cook had a sweet dunk and also blocked a shot.

Ladies and gentleman, #34, Tyler Cook.

Watch:

Tyler Cook, part of the Denver Nuggets Summer League roster!

#MileHighBasketball

D-fCS26UcAImX8J.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksfor3
Link to NBA.com article on Jok's strengths: https://www.nba.com/magic/peter-jok-strengths-20190703

2019 Summer League: Peter Jok's Strengths

The best outside shooter on the 2019 Orlando Magic Summer League team may be Peter Jok, who shot nearly 41 percent from 3-point range last season in the G League with the Northern Arizona Suns. Just based on the numbers, the 6-foot-6, 205-pounder was more efficient further away from the basket than he was from closer. From 20 to 24 feet out, for example, he shot 43.1 percent while from five to nine feet away he shot only 13.3 percent. Nearly 58 percent of his shot attempts came from beyond the arc.

While he’s capable of making shots when pulling up off the dribble, Jok is much more comfortable spotting up or coming off screens. He did a great job in 2018-19 running to his sweet spots, particularly the right corner where he made 56 percent of his threes. Only 64 of his 387 jump shot attempts were taken off the dribble.

Like some of his other Magic backcourt teammates in Vegas, Jok is a good rebounder at his position. The native of Khartoum, Sudan averaged 5.5 rebounds per game during his senior season at Iowa, where he was named to the All-Big Ten First Team that year.

The likely reasons the now 25-year-old wasn’t drafted in 2017 are that he’s not extraordinarily athletic, he’s not very strong compared to archetypical NBA shooting guards, he rarely initiates contact on his drives, and he’s not much of a playmaker. But, with a 6-foot-8 wingspan, quick hands and anticipation, and a high basketball IQ, Jok does bring some key intangible skills to the table.

He averaged 1.4 steals per game in the G League last year while only coughing the ball up 1.6 times. With the Hawkeyes, he posted similar numbers, so he has shown he can be consistent and not let some of his key weaknesses encumber him.

Click HERE for a look at the Orlando Magic's 2019 Summer League roster

jok_760_20190703.jpg

Iowa basketball: Jarrod Uthoff, Peter Jok come out firing in Las Vegas Summer League, Week 2

by Andrew Wade
July 10, 2091

Week two of the Las Vegas Summer League is here and two former Iowa basketball players, Peter Jok and Jarrod Uthoff have had outstanding games.

For three Iowa basketball players, the Las Vegas Summer League is incredibly important to their future NBA careers.

Peter Jok has spent the past two seasons with the Northern Arizona Suns while waiting for his opportunity in the NBA and Jarrod Uthoff has bounced around the NBA, G-League, and European Leagues waiting for his consistent shot at NBA time. Now, Tyler Cook is attempting to get his shot outright. The Las Vegas Summer League is a great opportunity for these guys to showcase their abilities against other young players and in front of many scouts and coaches.

After a sluggish start in week one, Uthoff and Jok took advantage of playing time in week two showing they at least deserve a shot.

Uthoff has started all three summer league games for the Detroit Pistons, but it wasn’t until Detroit’s game three win over Indiana where full Jarrod Uthoff came out.

The former Iowa basketball All-American scored 17 points on an efficient 6 of 9 shooting with 2 buckets coming from downtown on 4 shots. In typical Uthoff form, his stat line was pretty packed as he added in 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 steals, and 3 blocks while posting a team-high +31 plus/minus rating. To be honest, it’s confusing to me why he hasn’t gotten more shots at the NBA level.

Jok also had a solid first outing with the Orlando Magic summer league team after not getting any playing time in last week’s contests.

In 15 minutes of action, he scored 8 points on 3 of 6 shooting (2 of 3 from 3pt) and also brought in 2 rebounds, dished out 2 assists, and had 1 steal and 1 block. Hopefully, this performance is parlayed into more minutes with the 1-2 Magic.

As for Tyler Cook, after putting together a nice little highlight reel in his first game with the Denver Nuggets, he struggled in yesterday’s matchup against the Celtics. He missed his only shot and had 3 personal fouls in just 10 minutes of play leading to a team-worst -16 plus/minus on the day.

As is the case with the summer league, these Iowa basketball players have quick turnarounds.

Uthoff is beginning play as we speak with the Pistons taking on the 76ers. Jok and Cook play later today at 430 PM CST and 1030 PM CST respectively.

Cook is g-league bound. Best case scenario he gets a two-way deal. Just not a lot of need for a small ball center who can’t shoot in the NBA these days.

I don’t know how Uthoff hasn’t caught on to the end of someone’s bench. Good locker room guy. No drama. Stretch forward forward who can space the floor and rebound. Adequately defensively. Maybe even play a little small ball center. Seems like a guy who should stick as a bench guy.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Uthoff has started all three summer league games for the Detroit Pistons, but it wasn’t until Detroit’s game three win over Indiana where full Jarrod Uthoff came out.
To be honest, it’s confusing to me why he hasn’t gotten more shots at the NBA level.

I think the league blacklisted him after Rick Carlisle caught him eating gas station food.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT