ADVERTISEMENT

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

Where I am at we expect 110 to 115 this time of the year.

No biggie.

Except it won't stop raining this last week, which is not year over year normal (still happens every five years or so)...so it's only 105 with humidity.

We are not used to humidity, at all :)

Well, the data that was posted for McCook, NE was interesting so I did the math. The avg temp for McCook, NE in July is 90.8 degrees, ranking it as one of the hottest places in the state. The average for this July was almost 4 degrees higher at 94.7. That's...ummm...anomalous.

In 2019, they had two days of 100+ weather in July with the hottest day showing 101 degrees. In 2018, there were none. In 2017 there were seven - the highest being 104. 2016 had five with the highest being 102. 2015 - three 100+ days with the hottest being 105. McCook averages 7.1 days a year with temps over 100 degrees.

This July saw twelve 100+ days - nearly double the average for the entire year - with the highest being 111 - that's pretty hot. There was a day where it hit 109. Another at 108. Another at 105. It most certainly falls well outside the "normal" range
Now do 2012.

Well, the data that was posted for McCook, NE was interesting so I did the math. The avg temp for McCook, NE in July is 90.8 degrees, ranking it as one of the hottest places in the state. The average for this July was almost 4 degrees higher at 94.7. That's...ummm...anomalous.

In 2019, they had two days of 100+ weather in July with the hottest day showing 101 degrees. In 2018, there were none. In 2017 there were seven - the highest being 104. 2016 had five with the highest being 102. 2015 - three 100+ days with the hottest being 105. McCook averages 7.1 days a year with temps over 100 degrees.

This July saw twelve 100+ days - nearly double the average for the entire year - with the highest being 111 - that's pretty hot. There was a day where it hit 109. Another at 108. Another at 105. It most certainly falls well outside the "normal" range
Double the number, you say.....

I've posted it on here many times:

+1.5°C global temperatures (overall) equates to about +3°C on land (land temperatures are increasing about 2x as fast as overall land+ocean temperatures.

+3°C (land) = +5.5°F (land)

All those ~95°F days are now >100°F

And this is ONLY if we stay below 1.5°C warming, and does not include the increases in heat-wave events, which will be more frequent, particularly as areas tend to dry out more in the hot weather.

This only gets worse, the more CO2 we emit. The ONLY way you mitigate it is to become carbon-neutral and start scrubbing CO2 from the atmosphere.

pretty normal to have 100 degree weather here. Couple more days of it yes. But to say not 100 degrees. Come on now
No idea where you are but how normal is it to have double the average number in a month? Understand, that's going to become the norm over time with the highs approaching and exceeding 120. That there were a few 100+ degree days in the past doesn't make that normal by any stretch. When it DOES become normal...and it will...you're in trouble. Down the road, people will look back on July 2022 wishing it was that cool.

Reactions: Joes Place
Are we counting heat index as actual temp? Going from, will say 4 days in a month. Which is pretty high to to say in swi for normal. To 7 which is almost double, or a couple more as I said. I can say though this last Saturday was the hottest day I can ever remember.

I went golfing today and shot my best round of the year. *

* with one mulligan when I lost the club out of my hands.
Went golfing on Saturday and shot my best 9 as well. Teed off on #1 and it was hot, humid, and in a steady rain. Went off anyways because I was going to be drenched in sweat from the heat, the rain was welcomed. By #3 the rain was gone and it felt fine out. After #9 we got hit with another downpour so decided to call it a day. After the second downpour the temp dropped and it was beautiful out, almost like a cool fall Saturday. The rest of the weekend was low temps, still is today, 68* now. Brother text me from Des Moines Saturday night and said it was just miserable there, it was 71* and cool in SoDak. What a difference it makes being on one side of the front versus the other.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Went golfing on Saturday and shot my best 9 as well. Teed off on #1 and it was hot, humid, and in a steady rain. Went off anyways because I was going to be drenched in sweat from the heat, the rain was welcomed. By #3 the rain was gone and it felt fine out. After #9 we got hit with another downpour so decided to call it a day. After the second downpour the temp dropped and it was beautiful out, almost like a cool fall Saturday. The rest of the weekend was low temps, still is today, 68* now. Brother text me from Des Moines Saturday night and said it was just miserable there, it was 71* and cool in SoDak. What a difference it makes being on one side of the front versus the other.

Yeah, we never saw the cool down in the IC area. My wife looked at her phone and said it was 94 and felt like 110 when we made the turn.

I''VD LIVED IN iOWA longer than you and this is NOT normal. Hot yes, but not 100 deg. .
Yes it is. It's been like this in the Midwest my entire 49 years of life. I remember hot, hot, humid summer days every decade of my life. This is nothing new. There is a reason they call these the Dog Days of Summer.

July 1976

July 2022

The sneaky thing the weather stations do now is to report the "Feels Like" number as the real temperature. They do it to create drama to get you to watch the news and weather. You need to tune in and watch, your life just may depend on it. They do this for both summer and winter seasons. Instead of giving us the Heat Index or Wind Chill numbers they give us the Feels Like numbers and pass it off as the true temperature.

Personally, I don't think this summer has been that bad. I have been very active outside this summer though and am pretty used to it. Outside daily exercising, running, golfing, or just hanging out no matter what the temps are. 95* with a Heat Index in triple digits and I'm going for a 2 mile run. No big deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT