ADVERTISEMENT

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

Weather station just pinged me, 112 heat index in the shade here in the corridor.

Miserable flipping day…but the AC is roaring, and I just made my first ice cold drink….so….life ain’t bad.

Flipping homes for a living where it’s very rare to run the system in the house due to jacking up the systems with all the dust we are creating. Makes it feel like just another normal day. That’s why I start early to get off early to go to the pool. Very rare that I find a guy in construction complain about it being “too hot” now the cold…that’s a whole nother animal

I dunno what it was like in SW Iowa today, but whatever it was - that's feeding the rains that some of NW Iowa (badly needed rain) and southern MN has gotten today - and what they're forecasting here in SE MN/SW WI and NE Iowa tonight.

The LaCrosse NWS 3pm narrative mentioned (paraphrasing/summarizing) "terribly heavy rains are certainly possible tonight". Now, they seem to think NC Iowa and SC MN will get the worst of it...but from say I90 down to US 20 from say I35 all the way into SW WI is pretty much all in a flood watch. They're in a semi-drought north of here so it's needed...just not all of it in one evening is all.

And I can say with great certainty that there's something about this area that once every 3-4 years, exactly that happens. I think it was 2017, we had a 10 day period where we got a foot of rain all in one night, then a week later got 9". And the weather leading up to those events was just like today. Low 90's, near 80 dew points, and a near stationary front draped over the area with disturbances riding the front like a train.

One big ass cell right after another, all night long.

We're due for a big drenching, we might just get one. Looks like in NC Iowa and southern MN...the shit done started, and it's slowly moving our way.

91 and a scattered storm possible in NoFla today. Normal August day.
I know that heat blast up in the Midwest is NOT normal so you guys be careful. 🥵

91 degrees in high humidity is around 105+ for the heat index.

It gets hot in the Midwest. I was in Canada when the temp was 104 there and there was no AC. The difference is that it usually cools off overnight so you get some relief when the sun sets, even without an AC.

Temps and heat indexes in the 90s are normal. Heat indexes at 110 aren’t unheard of and seem to happen just about every year but aren’t constant. I suppose it depends on your definition of normal. This is the “why do we live here” summer edition. In a few months we’ll get the winter edition.
The winter version of that game is the worst. I'd take days like today every time.

Been enjoying this years summer here in NW Pa. 5- 90 degree days mostly mid 80s and 65-70 nights. Would like to see more rain as the storms from the west hits Cleveland and heads N to Buffalo or S to the burgh.

Here at Tradition Manor today we've been having intense sunshine interrupted by spotty fly-by showers. Not enough to cool anything down, mind you. Just enough to keep the humidity near 100 percent.

"Steamy" is the word that comes to mind when I go outside to quickly smoke and then run back inside the house.

Congratulations. When a major weather event happens in Iowa, the citizens of Iowa get busy and get to work rebuilding. In FLA, it's run to the govt.

• Sad
Reactions: The Tradition
91 degrees in high humidity is around 105+ for the heat index.

It gets hot in the Midwest. I was in Canada when the temp was 104 there and there was no AC. The difference is that it usually cools off overnight so you get some relief when the sun sets, even without an AC.
It’s almost 11pm and still a heat index of 95. It’s still miserable. But Monday should bring a slight reprieve.

Just think...in 5 or 6 months, there will probably be a 110 or so degree swing from today.

The conveyor belt definitely arrived in northern Iowa last night. My gawd, things exploded overnight.

3" so far here in Clayton County. Non stop since 10pm. And more's coming today and tonight.

All fueled by that hot and humid air mass to the south mentioned by OP...that was the gasoline, and the front stalling out with disturbances riding on it was the match.

Reactions: win4jj
Pretty good rain here in eastern Iowa. Almost 5 inches so far.

I dunno what it was like in SW Iowa today, but whatever it was - that's feeding the rains that some of NW Iowa (badly needed rain) and southern MN has gotten today - and what they're forecasting here in SE MN/SW WI and NE Iowa tonight.

The LaCrosse NWS 3pm narrative mentioned (paraphrasing/summarizing) "terribly heavy rains are certainly possible tonight". Now, they seem to think NC Iowa and SC MN will get the worst of it...but from say I90 down to US 20 from say I35 all the way into SW WI is pretty much all in a flood watch. They're in a semi-drought north of here so it's needed...just not all of it in one evening is all.

And I can say with great certainty that there's something about this area that once every 3-4 years, exactly that happens. I think it was 2017, we had a 10 day period where we got a foot of rain all in one night, then a week later got 9". And the weather leading up to those events was just like today. Low 90's, near 80 dew points, and a near stationary front draped over the area with disturbances riding the front like a train.

One big ass cell right after another, all night long.

We're due for a big drenching, we might just get one. Looks like in NC Iowa and southern MN...the shit done started, and it's slowly moving our way.
Where about are you located in SE Minnesota? I’m in that area too around Rochester .

10Day_Forecast.jpg

This isn’t “normal”. This falls outside of Iowas August average temperature.
These are the guys who tell you the stories about how things were "tougher" when they were kids and they rode their bikes to school through waist-deep snow and it was uphill both ways.

And their bicycles had square wheels, dagnabbit.

Reactions: ironside1
These are the guys who tell you the stories about how things were "tougher" when they were kids and they rode their bikes to school through waist-deep snow and it was uphill both ways.

And their bicycles had square wheels, dagnabbit.

Yeah, it was really hot in August when I was a kid, too.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE
318 AM CDT Sat Aug 6 2022

IAZ055-069-079-NEZ044-045-050>053-065>068-078-061630-
/O.CON.KOAX.EH.W.0001.220806T1700Z-220807T0200Z/
Harrison-Pottawattamie-Mills-Dodge-Washington-Butler-Saunders-
Douglas-Sarpy-Seward-Lancaster-Cass-Otoe-Saline-
Including the cities of Missouri Valley, Woodbine, Logan, Dunlap,
Council Bluffs, Glenwood, Fremont, Blair, David City, Wahoo,
Ashland, Yutan, Omaha, Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Seward,
Milford, Lincoln, Plattsmouth, Nebraska City, Crete, and Wilber
318 AM CDT Sat Aug 6 2022

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO
9 PM CDT THIS EVENING...

* WHAT...Dangerously hot conditions with heat index values up to
110 expected.

* WHERE...Portions of east central and southeast Nebraska and
southwest Iowa.

* WHEN...From noon to 9 PM CDT Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Extreme heat and humidity will significantly
increase the potential for heat related illnesses,
particularly for those working or participating in outdoor
activities.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out
of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors. Young
children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles
under any circumstances.

Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When
possible reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or
evening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat
stroke. Wear lightweight and loose fitting clothing when
possible. To reduce risk during outdoor work, the Occupational
Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent
rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone
overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location.
Heat stroke is an emergency! Call 9 1 1.

&&

$$

Was out walking the pedestrian bridge between Iowa and Omaha in that heat yesterday. Heat index was 110.

I’m 46, lived in the Midwest most of my life. This is normal summer weather for us. We are used to it
Well, the data that was posted for McCook, NE was interesting so I did the math. The avg temp for McCook, NE in July is 90.8 degrees, ranking it as one of the hottest places in the state. The average for this July was almost 4 degrees higher at 94.7. That's...ummm...anomalous.

In 2019, they had two days of 100+ weather in July with the hottest day showing 101 degrees. In 2018, there were none. In 2017 there were seven - the highest being 104. 2016 had five with the highest being 102. 2015 - three 100+ days with the hottest being 105. McCook averages 7.1 days a year with temps over 100 degrees.

This July saw twelve 100+ days - nearly double the average for the entire year - with the highest being 111 - that's pretty hot. There was a day where it hit 109. Another at 108. Another at 105. It most certainly falls well outside the "normal" range

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT