ADVERTISEMENT

US Open

He shared the coaches appreciation award? What other award would you have expected him to win? MVP went to Woods due to the higher placing at Nationals. Every year I guess wrong on 1 or 2 of the awards.
Woods is MVP based on his NCAA finish, no question there.

No offense to Max or Warner but Most Dedicated and Most Courageous might fit for a guy who had 3 torn ACLs in his time in IC but that's just me. Just seemed a bit odd to me that a guy who has been the face of the program for 6 years basically got the lifetime achievement award with the other AA seniors.

How do you know the injury didn't occur against Ramos?
I don't. And I said that in my post. I'm not sure why you're even questioning that?

Of course we still don't know the mystery ailment of his soph season so I guess we may never know if/when an injury happened or if the gut punch of losing everything and then having to pull it together and make weight for Saturday was too much.

Reactions: slushhead
Did not know that, thanks.

I seem to remember during that 2011 tournament that there was some talk about him not being able to stand on the podium, but that the coaches all talked and allowed him to anyway. Was this the case or am I misremebering that?
Was Spencer on the awards stand in Tulsa? If he was, what was the crowd reaction when his name was announced?

Woods is MVP based on his NCAA finish, no question there.

No offense to Max or Warner but Most Dedicated and Most Courageous might fit for a guy who had 3 torn ACLs in his time in IC but that's just me. Just seemed a bit odd to me that a guy who has been the face of the program for 6 years basically got the lifetime achievement award with the other AA seniors.
I believe Drake Rhodes got most Courageous but could be mistaken. He was a true freshman that bumped 2 weight classes and was deserving IMO. I originally typed Ayala. I think Max got most dedicated. The awards are voted by the coaches who are there every day. Every year there is 1 or 2 that I think will go a different way, but I'm not there every day. Every guy earns their rewards. And just to be clear I'm not saying that you're saying they didn't.

Last edited:
Probably a typo, but I believe the phrase is "out in droves."

I will never understand why a fan would hate another school's wrestler. I don't believe any real Pennsylvania wrestling fans hate Spencer Lee, and I doubt there is a drove-level of Spencer haters in this world.
There sure seemed to be droves of them during the semis. It was sickening.

I will never understand why a fan would hate another school's wrestler. I don't believe any real Pennsylvania wrestling fans hate Spencer Lee, and I doubt there is a drove-level of Spencer haters in this world.
There sure were a lot around me at nationals. It was grievous. But I think they hate him because of where he went to school.

There sure were a lot around me at nationals. It was grievous. But I think they hate him because of where he went to school.
I don't doubt that there is a certain mentality that is predisposed to take some perverse joy in the misfortune of the supreme over dog. Fans do seem to cheer very loud for the greatest of upsets. Nationals is no exception.

When an Iowa or Penn State wrestler loses it does seem to be a louder reaction. And no doubt falls elicit the loudest of all reactions by far. It was no different when Moisey pinned Gilman.

I just don't believe it is personal toward Spencer Lee or reflects hatred of him.

Don’t confuse GIA haters for Spencer haters.

I didn't take any joy in the ball busting on GIA after Spencer's loss in the wake of all the GOAT talk/debates. I hope Spencer kicks ass on the World Freestyle stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goathead88

I certainly don’t hate Spencer as a PA/PSU fan. I respect everything he accomplished. It’s disappointing he didn’t come back and try to get third, but it is what it is. He did what was best for him. I did cheer for the upset in the semis, but I was cheering FOR Ramos pulling off the moment of his life, not necessarily against Spencer.

Reactions: hlstone
This is pure speculation on my part. When they showed him on the Jumbotron during the Ramos match he looked pale to me. I said to my buddies he didn’t look healthy.
It was like he had the Flu or food poisoning ? We will probably never know and it really doesn’t matter. I am still heartbroken for Spencer.

Reactions: Whytehawk

Luckily, I was in the Hawk section. PSU fan started to cheer but Joe Williams gave them a dirty look (not really haha). The two PSU fans in front of us were really respectful…cheered their guys on and that’s it.

Reactions: Inthecircle
This is pure speculation on my part. When they showed him on the Jumbotron during the Ramos match he looked pale to me. I said to my buddies he didn’t look healthy.
It was like he had the Flu or food poisoning ? We will probably never know and it really doesn’t matter. I am still heartbroken for Spencer.
I don’t think so. Spencer lost and is going to move on to bigger and better things. Can’t always use the “ well he looked sick “ excuse.

I can not say with 100% certainty exactly what it was that had SL looking like a ordinary human from time to time? Taking all the info though, as I have stated before, it seems pretty obvious.

We now know he was never at a full 100% while in a IOWA uniform. With all the knee injuries he has had, we also know that he was not able to train the way he knew he should a lot of the time.

You put it together and I believe you have the answers. If SL had to make weight without being able to run/drill/wrestle etc.... That leaves you not eating and/or dehydrating.

Anyone who has done this knows the effects, and anyone who has wrestled without being in Wrestling condition, also know what it is like. I have gone from Football season right into wrestling season and early matches could always be a tough road if they went long. I also wrestled in out of season tournaments and felt like I wanted to die!

So picture wrestling against the very best in the country and not being able to train!!! We saw SL start the season and you could see much work was still needed condition wise. He then seemed to go on a rampage destroying everything in sight. I for one and I am guessing everyone else too, was feeling really good!!!

Then somewhere into the home stretch, you could see something changed. SL, was not looking right again. At B1Gs and NCAAs, anyone who knew SUPERMAN, knew something was off.

Just hoping he did not re-injure his knee!!!

Spencer has a lot to gain by wrestling in the open this year. The guy sitting in the chair waiting for the challenger to come out of the bracket at final X is a huge advantage.

Spencer has a lot to gain by wrestling in the open this year. The guy sitting in the chair waiting for the challenger to come out of the bracket at final X is a huge advantage.
He can't achieve that. Gilman is already sitting out. My understanding is that Spencer has to wrestle at the Open for the chance to be Gilman's Final X opponent. They changed the trials process this year. No Trials at weights with a medalist sitting out. He has to win the Open.

Check out post #6 in this thread for the '23 World Team process.

Luckily, I was in the Hawk section. PSU fan started to cheer but Joe Williams gave them a dirty look (not really haha). The two PSU fans in front of us were really respectful…cheered their guys on and that’s it.
I’m sitting here wondering how a couple PSU fans ended up in the Hawk section…
And considering they were in the Hawk section, would expect nothing less.

Other than good natured ribbing, fans should “know their audience” & be respectful (PSU scum that run to another teams board to be a$$es excluded).

We had NCST fans

He can't achieve that. Gilman is already sitting out. My understanding is that Spencer has to wrestle at the Open for the chance to be Gilman's Final X opponent. They changed the trials process this year. No Trials at weights with a medalist sitting out. He has to win the Open.

I was thinking in terms of the olympic trials. If he were to medal this year, he'd be in the final X chair for olympic trials.

Reactions: Aleric1 and js8793
How do you know the injury didn't occur against Ramos?
I sat next to the father of an NCAA champ and another AA (not Iowa).

In the quarters he pointed out Spencer was wrestling 1 legged and not pushing off his left at all.

Not saying that means anything, necessarily, but it was observed by an independent knowledgeable person before he lost in the semis.

I sat next to the father of an NCAA champ and another AA (not Iowa).

In the quarters he pointed out Spencer was wrestling 1 legged and not pushing off his left at all.

Not saying that means anything, necessarily, but it was observed by an independent knowledgeable person before he lost in the semis.
It seemed apparent to me — not a father of an NCAA champ, nor an AA — in the Ramos match that Spencer was pretty stationary in neutral, reaching but not attacking. Like he had cement shoes or a load in his singlet. And he didn’t (couldn’t?) sprawl.

Yep. It was pretty obvious most of the season that Spencer's mobility was highly compromised, especially later in the season. If you compare video from this season with video from his sophomore year, his wrestling in neutral is completely different. He was much more active on his feet as a sophomore. Indeed, at Nationals, it was as if he was wrestling with his feet in concrete. As frustrating as it was for a fan of his to watch, it makes his accomplishments all the more impressive.

I see Thunder Beard is throwing his whiskers in the ring. U17 48

Chittum - Arrington should be good if they wrestle

Sr's registration is starting to increase. No HWC members yet, but Kemerer is listed at 79kgs.

Cox is listed at 97, so that makes 3 weights(61, 92, 125) for Last Chance qualifier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aleric1

so obviously you weren't on the floor at The Hershey Arena when Spencer lost his senior year to deSanto... the PSU crowd was booing him before the match and cheered and ridiculed him after he lost in the final 2nds...and don't say it was loud for ADS to win because he was definitely not a fan favorite. The local PA crowds were so happy to see Lee lose this year it sickened me. I was expecting some blow back but they villified his mother and her reaction and they conjured up all kinds of rumors and stories of why he lost.... always the uneducated who probably never wrestled that come up with new ways to ruin the rest of the crowds reactions. He basically got caught and pinned.... end of story. He is a class act and the people who attacked him- a nd his family can go get F%&*

obviously you weren't on the floor at The Hershey Arena
Correct, but I've watched the match. I doubt too many were "on the floor."

Crazy wrestling parents shouldn't be confused as representing the whole state of PA.

Yeah, surely some PA residents booed Spencer for not choosing an in state school. But is that hate of Spencer Lee or voicing displeasure of his choice? I think it's the latter.

I agree booing competitors or student athlete choices of a university isn't classy, and may be seen as spiteful. I just don't see it as hateful.

Correct, but I've watched the match. I doubt too many were "on the floor."

Crazy wrestling parents shouldn't be confused as representing the whole state of PA.

Yeah, surely some PA residents booed Spencer for not choosing an in state school. But is that hate of Spencer Lee or voicing displeasure of his choice? I think it's the latter.

I agree booing competitors or student athlete choices of a university isn't classy, and may be seen as spiteful. I just don't see it as hateful.
Whatever mental gymnastics you need to do to sleep at night, I guess. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT