ADVERTISEMENT

US Open

Jan 16, 2017
Who do we expect to see at the US Open next month? If I'm not mistaken it is the age level trials for world teams(U15, U17, U20) It will be nice to see a good representation of HWC/Hawkeye/future Hawkeye wrestlers.
Do we see Lee? If Lee is unable to wrestle does his past national titles qualify him for world team trials or does it have to be national champs from the current year? I suppose there is always last chance qualifier.
What young guys on the current roster are eligible for U20?

Only a couple future Hawkeyes currently registered:

Kale Petersen U20's and Rose Cassioppi Sr women.

Im guessing that we see more future/current/HWC wrestlers added as the event gets closer.

Only a couple future Hawkeyes currently registered:

Kale Petersen U20's and Rose Cassioppi Sr women.

Im guessing that we see more future/current/HWC wrestlers added as the event gets closer.
Could you provide a link to show who’s registered?

For '23 Sr World Team:

The 8 medalists from '22 Worlds go straight to Final X. 61kgs and 125kgs are the only 2 weights without a medalist. Cox had said that he is going 97, so if he does it would open 92kgs as well.

The winner of the US Open also gets a spot at Final X. So, 7-8 of the weights will have the Final X participants decided by the Open results.

The challenge tournament(Last Chance) would only be for 61, 125, and possibly 92 to determine who wrestles the Open winner at Final X.

Final X champ is the '23 World Team representative.

Olympic team is decided next year, but making the World team this year(and bringing home a World medal) typically gives wrestlers a leg up at the OTT(moved up into semis/finals, depending on Olympic/non-Olympic weight).

Last edited:
Reactions: TarpHawk
For U20'S:

The winner of the US Open gets a pass to a best-of-3 finals against the winner of the Challenge tournament. Winner of that is the U20 representative.

U23's is the same confusing setup as last year:

If an age eligible wrestler finishes top 3 at the Sr. level, they are the representative.

As in previous years(see PK last year), there is a U23's WTT, but the winner only gets the spot on the World team if there wasn't someone of age placing top 3 at the Sr level(or they turn down the spot).

For U17's I'm not 100%(don't really follow closely), but I believe the winner at US Open is the representative.

*someone may want to fact check that*

I don't understand the Olympic qualifier rules, but if it is possible I would really prefer Spencer take some time off to heal. He deserves at least one good "healthy" run at the Olympics.

has his health status been posted here? i havent seen what his current injury status is at all.

I was told (by a parent at the banquet) that Spencer said he'll be wrestling at the open.

someone on here was probably at the banquet. is that accurate?
If this is true then him mff at the Nationals is a really bad look. He’s my all time favorite wrestler but that will not go over well.

• Haha
Reactions: snotknockerhawk
No one cares what you think and real hawks fans certainly don’t feel any different about Spencer
Pretty amazing how some folks can turn on a kid who has given everything to Iowa wrestling. It would have been easier for Spencer to go straight to the OTC and train there on his own schedule, avoiding the grind of D1 college wrestling.

If he had, he probably would have already won Olympic gold, maybe twice, and several World gold medals. Instead he leaves PA, gets brutalized by PSU fans in the process, helps build Iowa back into the best team in the nation for 2+ years, and brings Iowa fans countless incredible moments.

He medically withdraws from Nationals and some fools, with no clue about what he’s actually going through, think he’s committed the unpardonable sin if he happens to give it a go at the US Open.🤦🏻‍♂️

If this is true then him mff at the Nationals is a really bad look. He’s my all time favorite wrestler but that will not go over well.
Correct me if I'm wrong but never before has a collegiate wrestler been in a situation of going for 4 championships and losing before the finals.

I can't imagine what his mental state was after that match but I'm pretty confident in saying that the thought process of shedding weight for the morning WB round was not in the cards. I don't know if he gave it a go and said can't do it, or just said F it and left after the semi-final loss.

I'm not saying there isn't an injury, or that he didn't re-injure his knee at some point during the season but the press release from the university is probably not accurate in that respect. It wasn't an injury that kept him from wrestling Saturday morning but more likely that he was in no condition mentally to cut weight and prepare to wrestle Saturday morning...that and they may not have had a friggin clue where he was. Thus, the generic press release.

Question...do teams lose points for wrestlers who fail to make weight at any point of the tournament?

Question 2...does anyone find it odd that Spencer was shut out at the awards banquet (except for the senior award shared with Warner and Max)?

Last edited:
Reactions: slushhead
Pretty amazing how some folks can turn on a kid who has given everything to Iowa wrestling. It would have been easier for Spencer to go straight to the OTC and train there on his own schedule, avoiding the grind of D1 college wrestling.

If he had, he probably would have already won Olympic gold, maybe twice, and several World gold medals. Instead he leaves PA, gets brutalized by PSU fans in the process, helps build Iowa back into the best team in the nation for 2+ years, and brings Iowa fans countless incredible moments.

He medically withdraws from Nationals and some fools, with no clue about what he’s actually going through, think he’s committed the unpardonable sin if he happens to give it a go at the US Open.🤦🏻‍♂️
I put these “folks” you are talking about into the category of bitching about having nothing to bitch about.

• Haha
Reactions: IRONBIRD
In 2011, Joe LeBlanc of Wyoming missed weight on Saturday morning and had to forfeit to 6th. Wyoming lost all of his team points for the tournament.

Source

And the rule was changed after that happened. You now keep your points
Thanks, I thought I remembered that happening at some point but wasn't sure if that was still the case.

Reactions: hlstone
Question 2...does anyone find it odd that Spencer was shut out at the awards banquet (except for the senior award shared with Warner and Max)?
He shared the coaches appreciation award? What other award would you have expected him to win? MVP went to Woods due to the higher placing at Nationals. Every year I guess wrong on 1 or 2 of the awards.

And the rule was changed after that happened. You now keep your points

Did not know that, thanks.

I seem to remember during that 2011 tournament that there was some talk about him not being able to stand on the podium, but that the coaches all talked and allowed him to anyway. Was this the case or am I misremebering that?

Correct me if I'm wrong but never before has a collegiate wrestler been in a situation of going for 4 championships and losing before the finals.

I can't imagine what his mental state was after that match but I'm pretty confident in saying that the thought process of shedding weight for the morning WB round was not in the cards. I don't know if he gave it a go and said can't do it, or just said F it and left after the semi-final loss.

I'm not saying there isn't an injury, or that he didn't re-injure his knee at some point during the season but the press release from the university is probably not accurate in that respect. It wasn't an injury that kept him from wrestling Saturday morning but more likely that he was in no condition mentally to cut weight and prepare to wrestle Saturday morning...that and they may not have had a friggin clue where he was. Thus, the generic press release.

Question...do teams lose points for wrestlers who fail to make weight at any point of the tournament?

How do you know the injury didn't occur against Ramos?

No one cares what you think and real hawks fans certainly don’t feel any different about Spencer
Easy fellas! Holy crap you guys are sensitive. I was not for one second meaning it changed my feelings towards him and I even stated that he is my all time favorite wrestler and I’ve been attending meets for 35 years with season tickets for almost 25 so don’t tell me about real Hawk fans! That’s why a handful of you posters keep most reasonable fans off of this site. My post was simply that the hater’s are going to be out in groves.

As for team awards, I think it's pretty straightforward. At Iowa, perhaps more than any other program, you get what you earn. I don't think there's any doubt that Spencer was the greatest wrestler in Iowa history. For that matter, even with his losses, he's the best wrestler I've ever seen compete in college.

That said, he'd be the first to tell you he didn't earn more awards than he received at the team banquet. It goes without saying that our coaches love him like a son -- that's how they feel about all of their guys -- and they obviously recognize what a unicorn he is, but he received the awards he earned for this season.

Of course they, and everyone on the planet with an IQ above 10, realizes that he's the best 125-pounder in the nation this year, but the results are what they are. I'm sure Spencer wouldn't have wanted more awards based on sympathy. He has bigger fish to fry anyway, and our coaches obviously know that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT