ADVERTISEMENT

US to end 'gun show loophole' that allows sales without background checks

I haven’t looked at the laws in a while but to me this sounds like some sort of back door regulation of private sales. I just don’t know how you define who is in or out, much less enforce it.
There has always been ambiguity in that area. In the past the rule of thumb was that collectors were able to sell parts of their collection, generally up to about 6 firearms in a year. The collector would have to show they were selling firearms not recently purchased, which would make them straw purchasers under current law (and regulations). The ATF has typically relied on vague regulations so the burden is then on the seller rather than than the ATF to prove they acted legally.

If you sell them out of the trunk of your car do you need to abide?
In a heavily redacted warrant affidavit released Thursday, the Bureau of Alcohol,
From an earlier thread….

Little Rock Airport Exec dies for his right to illegally sell guns…​

Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said Malinowski bought over 150 guns between May 2021 and February 2024 that he resold without a dealer’s license, KARK-TV reported.

About a half-dozen of those were found after being linked to a crime, and undercover federal agents bought three more from Malinowski at Arkansas gun shows, the affidavit said.
@isufan21
@Formerly Rockymtnole
@doughuddl2
@GlenHawk

Last edited:
If you sell them out of the trunk of your car do you need to abide?
If you meet the ATF definition of a dealer, the answer is yes. It's been like that for years. The only change ATF is making is the definition of a dealer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT