ADVERTISEMENT

USA stuns Pakistan in cricket

seminole97

HR Legend
Jun 14, 2005
Team USA pulled off one of the greatest upsets in cricket history on Thursday. They defeated powerhouse Pakistan by five runs in the T20 World Cup, shocking the rest of the sport.

The match went to a super over, a tiebreaker in cricket, and Team USA recorded 18 runs. Pakistan needed 19 for the win but were held to just 13 runs. To make the upset even more special, it happened on United States soil in Dallas, Texas.

The T20 World Cup features the 20 best teams in the world, and Team USA now leads Group A following its massive upset of Pakistan. The rest of that group consists of India, Canada, and Ireland.

Team USA will try to keep its magic alive against another daunting opponent in India. That match will take place on June 12 as group play continues.

Reactions: cfbfan23
Umm….. who cares?
I do! T20 games are similar to baseball games, as far as length of the game and overall action. USA needed 14 runs in the final over of regulation to even make it to the super over/tiebreaker, getting a four on the last ball. Pretty clutch performance, beating one of the best teams in the world.

Reactions: millah_22
Umm….. who cares?

American Usa GIF by Law Office of Robert Eckard

I have a feeling we're going to see a similar meme to the one where the US defeated China in a math competition for the first time in X years...

'merica

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Can you even play Cricket professionally in the US or do we even have any Americans who are professional cricket players.

Team USA pulled off one of the greatest upsets in cricket history on Thursday. They defeated powerhouse Pakistan by five runs in the T20 World Cup, shocking the rest of the sport.

The match went to a super over, a tiebreaker in cricket, and Team USA recorded 18 runs. Pakistan needed 19 for the win but were held to just 13 runs. To make the upset even more special, it happened on United States soil in Dallas, Texas.

The T20 World Cup features the 20 best teams in the world, and Team USA now leads Group A following its massive upset of Pakistan. The rest of that group consists of India, Canada, and Ireland.

Team USA will try to keep its magic alive against another daunting opponent in India. That match will take place on June 12 as group play continues.
WW3.

Is that right, @BlIIlken2 ?

Cricket? Are we sure the match is over yet? It's only been one day.
Reading that story is like reading a foreign language. I had a neighbor from England who once tried to explain the game to me. My eyes had glazed over by the 30 second mark.

Reading that story is like reading a foreign language. I had a neighbor from England who once tried to explain the game to me. My eyes had glazed over by the 30 second mark.
Cricket, esp limited overs cricket is easier than baseball. Seriously.

Reactions: HROT
I've always found it peculiar how a sport that is so incredibly popular in another part of the world is completely ignored here. To the point where even people who are quite knowledgeable in most sports can't even come to grasp the rules.

I could recognize a game of cricket, but that is about it.

I've always found it peculiar how a sport that is so incredibly popular in another part of the world is completely ignored here. To the point where even people who are quite knowledgeable in most sports can't even come to grasp the rules.

I can do both the base a ball and the cricket. Very easy sport. People overcomplicate shit but it's cake, esp the new formats.

That's my feeling too.

Have you ever seen Kabaddi? It's a tag style game. I could see it becoming more popular over time. It fits TV better than cricket because of the shorter intervals.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Have you ever seen Kabaddi? It's a tag style game. I could see it becoming more popular over time. It fits TV better than cricket because of the shorter intervals.
Ironically, that is _much tougher_ to understand :)

I've heard people say that if you grew up with rugby, American football is difficult to understand and if you grew up with baseball, cricket is difficult to understand.

I've heard people say that if you grew up with rugby, American football is difficult to understand and if you grew up with baseball, cricket is difficult to understand.
Nyah, cricket is easy. Rugby, a bit tougher.

It’s the different overs that get me. It’s be comparable to some baseball leagues having 9 innings and some having 150 innings.

I can do both the base a ball and the cricket. Very easy sport. People overcomplicate shit but it's cake, esp the new formats.
Right. I'm sure. But also there is almost 0 interest in the sport here. You don't see it anywhere. Maybe some college intramurals? Maybe some pick up games between some India/Pakistan immigrants? The T20 was being hosted in America and very few people probably even knew.

It’s the different overs that get me. It’s be comparable to some baseball leagues having 9 innings and some having 150 innings.
Nothing hard to understand. This is the T-20. All it means is each team gets 20 overs. One over is like a set. Each over is 6 legal balls. So, in essence, each team gets 120 total deliveries, not more not less. A legal delivery is one that is bowled correctly to the batsman but even if the delivery is illegal, say wide etc, it is playable. Runs are scored as such. If you hit the ball and go to the opposite side, you get one. That rotates the strike, meaning the batsman waiting on the opposite side then bats. If you hit the ball and go back and forth, that's 2 runs. If you hit the ball and it makes it to the boundary, that is a 4. If you hit the ball in the air and crosses the boundary, it's a 6; equivalent of a home run in baseball. Pretty simple. The team with the most runs wins. If it rains, overs are reduced. If the game is tied (unlikely but happened in the PAK/US game), you get one sudden death over. 6 balls. Whichever team makes the most runs in that over wins. The US made 18, Pakistan 13. So the US barely won but it still did.

The US plays India next. Let's see what happens ;)

Right. I'm sure. But also there is almost 0 interest in the sport here. You don't see it anywhere. Maybe some college intramurals? Maybe some pick up games between some India/Pakistan immigrants? The T20 was being hosted in America and very few people probably even knew.
You are right. And I don't think it will ever change. But there is a league of professional teams in the US.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT