ADVERTISEMENT

USSSA Baseball

USSSA wont allow players at a higher level to sub on teams that are not at that level, if that helps.
This. Once a team gets to major level the guest player deal becomes a thing. Kind of ruined our youngests' teams chance to make a deep run in 14u bc our team didn't play thay game and all the others did, but whatever. It's a business now more than anything.

Exactly how it should be.

People that subject their kids to select sports absolutely baffle me.
My kids wouldn't trade it for anything. They had great experiences with their friends playing a game they love. It was usually a 3.5 month season, not year round and always done by july 4th. We weren't a completely crazy travel team though, a couple trips to des moines and quad cities per year along with one fun destination trip like the Dells, kc or Omaha. To each their own.

USSSA wont allow players at a higher level to sub on teams that are not at that level, if that helps.
A little bit. At 9u, there aren’t many majors teams in Iowa or IL. But some of these heavy hitting IL teams should technically be at the majors level. Using my example, the QC Barnstormers AAA team could grab a player (or multiple) from the AAA Moline team.

That would be annoying, I just hope it isn’t real prevalent. I’m in eastern Iowa and had a person from SW WI say they were playing as a guest for a 9u major team and it caught me a bit off guard.

Reactions: MitchLL and win4jj
My gkids club actually will set up a monthly pay schedule to lessen one big payout.

Heard this weekend that the Iowa Stix program, once the kids hit age 13, costs $4k/season.

That's ridiculous.
Is a season just summer ball? That seems insane, but if it’s actually covering a calendar year with a couple play windows, it’s high, but less insane.

Here in Charlotte, my son played for most of the last 5 years on not elite, but strong travel programs. He was a PO, so he didn’t pay as much, but the going rate seemed to be about $1500 for fall ball and the same or maybe a touch higher (like $1800) for summer ball. Around here, school ball plays from Feb-May.

When I was a kid we played TBall, Little League (minors and majors), Babe Ruth, and then JV/Varsity. Tournament teams from those leagues may travel 30 mins away for tournaments but league play never left our hometown until Babe Ruth.

I grew up in a similar baseball progression.
My kids are still young so have no experience with usaa and travel ball.
Has the travel ball model just shifted
local LL and babe Ruth to rather than play another local team, you now have to travel to play essentially a “local team” in another city at a large baseball complex.
I assume the highest levels are legit but with all the classifications are a lot of average/mediocre players traveling their state/region to play teams they could play in their own town?

A little bit. At 9u, there aren’t many majors teams in Iowa or IL. But some of these heavy hitting IL teams should technically be at the majors level. Using my example, the QC Barnstormers AAA team could grab a player (or multiple) from the AAA Moline team.

That would be annoying, I just hope it isn’t real prevalent. I’m in eastern Iowa and had a person from SW WI say they were playing as a guest for a 9u major team and it caught me a bit off guard.
I wouldn’t exactly say it is prevalent, but it certainly happens. My sons 12u team has been triple A since 9u. I see it more with major teams than any other. I’ve learned to live with it and take pride in knowing our roster hasn’t changed much since 7u. It makes victory over teams with “guests” even sweeter. And also, teams that do the guest thing a lot of times end up with rough chemistry between players and parents. Usually worse with parents and adults. JMHO.

I wouldn’t exactly say it is prevalent, but it certainly happens. My sons 12u team has been triple A since 9u. I see it more with major teams than any other. I’ve learned to live with it and take pride in knowing our roster hasn’t changed much since 7u. It makes victory over teams with “guests” even sweeter. And also, teams that do the guest thing a lot of times end up with rough chemistry between players and parents. Usually worse with parents and adults. JMHO.
Everything you mentioned in this post tracks with the little info/experience I have when it comes to guest players. We will not have them unless any sort of fluke injury happens. And the team that is trying to round up a couple of guest players has terrible chemistry.

Reactions: win4jj
Everything you mentioned in this post tracks with the little info/experience I have when it comes to guest players. We will not have them unless any sort of fluke injury happens. And the team that is trying to round up a couple of guest players has terrible chemistry.
Good luck.

The fact that anyone is playing 50-60 games and calling themselves a select team at 8 and under is absolutely absurd. And no offense but 9 and under as well. Such a time commitment and also a money one as well. I look back at my 3 boys, especially my oldest and I pushed him way way to hard. It all worked out in the end but trying to have him play multiple sports and trying out for different teams here and there was just crazy. While I don't really regret any of it you spend thousands and thousands of dollars just for your kid to have the opportunity to play in high school. And then 95% of those kids go on to go to college and not even play. Most opportunities are at the D3 level for the majority of kids unless they are absolute studs. Have great memories of multiple teams w/all my boys but it's become such a business.

I grew up in a similar baseball progression.
My kids are still young so have no experience with usaa and travel ball.
Has the travel ball model just shifted
local LL and babe Ruth to rather than play another local team, you now have to travel to play essentially a “local team” in another city at a large baseball complex.
I assume the highest levels are legit but with all the classifications are a lot of average/mediocre players traveling their state/region to play teams they could play in their own town?

I'm not sure when it changed. Mine was all done through the local YMCA until we hit JV/Varsity. Sometime between when I graduated to present day, something changed. My daughter also plays volleyball. We're starting now to get into the club teams for actual school. Not sure what that will look like. I'm guessing it may be similar but play some local club teams with some travel to other schools.

What I've seen with the club teams is nothing but a money grab, at least around Dez Monez.

The "majors" teams with each club are the elite kids. Then you have the 2nd/3rd teams that are nothing more than a glorified "dad coach" team paying the same $$$ and not learning advanced techniques.
There's a huge drop-off and pretty much little league level.

And I do agree...the lion's share of these majors players will never sniff high school varsity.

Reactions: win4jj and littlez
What I've seen with the club teams is nothing but a money grab, at least around Dez Monez.

The "majors" teams with each club are the elite kids. Then you have the 2nd/3rd teams that are nothing more than a glorified "dad coach" team paying the same $$$ and not learning advanced techniques.
There's a huge drop-off and pretty much little league level.

And I do agree...the lion's share of these majors players will never sniff high school varsity.
All pretty accurate until the last part. The vast majority of the varsity players in the state, especially at 3a/4a schools, do indeed play high level travel baseball growing up.

Reactions: 3boysmom
All pretty accurate until the last part. The vast majority of the varsity players in the state, especially at 3a/4a schools, do indeed play high level travel baseball growing up.
I can only use one of my grandson's USSSA teams as an example...of the 11 kids on the team, maybe three will make a DM area high school varsity team, imo.

And that team was Majors 10U and 11U state champs.

You never know how kids are going to develop. Back when I was 12 growing up in Des Moines the team from Windsor Heights I believe made the little league World Series. Only 2-3 of those kids played in high school. Some were good at other sports, but even back then you just played in the Summer at your local little league. And we didn’t pay shit to play.

Reactions: MitchLL
I can only use one of my grandson's USSSA teams as an example...of the 11 kids on the team, maybe three will make a DM area high school varsity team, imo.

And that team was Majors 10U and 11U state champs.
If they were majors state champs, more than 3 will play varsity baseball. You don't win major state in Iowa without having at least 6-7 extremely talented kids. I went thru from 8-14u with two kids/teams who played mostly major baseball, and I've followed a lot of the kids we competed against throughout their high school and beyond careers. MOST kids playing and succeeding at major baseball, even at 11, don't just fall off by high school.

Reactions: Hawkfan757
I HC a solid AA 9u team. We play 5 tournaments a year and are in a local league that gives us 14 games from April-July 1. The league games we let everyone play everywhere to develop, and tournaments we play our best at their best. Cost has been the $165 org fee, and ~$250 per kid for tournaments. Apparel is dependent on what each family wants, but jerseys are $45 each and we carry two. Not gonna lie, we are pretty cheap, but have a good org that allows us our own indoor facility and structure.

Baseball has gotten crazy expensive since I played in the late 90's.

If they were majors state champs, more than 3 will play varsity baseball. You don't win major state in Iowa without having at least 6-7 extremely talented kids. I went thru from 8-14u with two kids/teams who played mostly major baseball, and I've followed a lot of the kids we competed against throughout their high school and beyond careers. MOST kids playing and succeeding at major baseball, even at 11, don't just fall off by high school.
Don't take this as me calling you out, but I'm basing my prediction on some things that play into the equation that may be unique to the team I am referencing.
1. 2 of the better kids prefer other sports and/or likely won't even play high school baseball.

2. Genetics in play here. Three of the boys are physically small and even with success at age 10 and 11, they are now being passed by physically bigger kids at age 12. Their parents are all under 5'9". As the bases lengthen and the pitching distance increases...size becomes a bigger factor.
3. Two of the boys are normal size for 12 year olds, but the parents are "heavy". You can only have one kid playing 1st base in high school that's big and slow.
4. Three others are playing majors because of "politics".
I don't see more than three playing high school varsity.

I hope I live long enough(5 more years) to watch this team evolve. Because I want to see how my predictions look in 2028.
I acknowledge this is my view of only one team, but as you probably know, playing more than one high school sport in Dez Monez is extremely rare.

Don't take this as me calling you out, but I'm basing my prediction on some things that play into the equation that may be unique to the team I am referencing.
1. 2 of the better kids prefer other sports and/or likely won't even play high school baseball.

2. Genetics in play here. Three of the boys are physically small and even with success at age 10 and 11, they are now being passed by physically bigger kids at age 12. Their parents are all under 5'9". As the bases lengthen and the pitching distance increases...size becomes a bigger factor.
3. Two of the boys are normal size for 12 year olds, but the parents are "heavy". You can only have one kid playing 1st base in high school that's big and slow.

I hope I live long enough(5 more years) to watch this team evolve. Because I want to see how my predictions look in 2028.
I acknowledge this is my view of only one team, but as you probably know, playing more than one high school sport in Dez Monez is extremely rare.
Fair enough, but based on my experiences and observations over the last 10 years, since club ball has really taken off, that hasn't generally been the case. Most of the top teams in 4a over the last 5 years were made up of almost exclusively high level travel ball kids.
My oldest kids team made the state semis a few years ago. I coached them in travel ball. 9 of our 11 were significant contributors on the varsity team and the only 2 that weren't quit bc of discipline issues. Of the 15 kids that played significant roles on that team, only 1 played non travel ball growing up and he was a one year dh only athletic freak.
Brechts Ankeny teams were full of kids that all played together since they were 8. Same with the recent Johnston and PV teams.
Don't take offense to this but most people saying the travel ball kids won't be the ones making up varsity rosters, are parents who's kids aren't playing high level travel ball for one reason or another. And again I'm talking specifically about quality 4a and upper end 3a schools.

Last edited:
I HC a solid AA 9u team. We play 5 tournaments a year and are in a local league that gives us 14 games from April-July 1. The league games we let everyone play everywhere to develop, and tournaments we play our best at their best. Cost has been the $165 org fee, and ~$250 per kid for tournaments. Apparel is dependent on what each family wants, but jerseys are $45 each and we carry two. Not gonna lie, we are pretty cheap, but have a good org that allows us our own indoor facility and structure.

Baseball has gotten crazy expensive since I played in the late 90's.
Good for you for doing it. Soak it in and enjoy it. I was kind of relieved when the youngest finally was done with travel ball but damn it was a lot of fun when we were in it. and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it. My rotator cuff doesn't though. Guarantee that fvcker has 100,000 bp pitches on it if not more.

Reactions: lilhwkgld
I've coached travel ball for 14 years, only the last three have been my own kid. It is a lot of fun. It also is cut throat. I hate the end of the season when tyrouts happen. I have been the coach that has the middle team where kids get moved up and down from, so never the same group each year. It sucks. We are staying in a school feeder league,s which has some benifits, own indoor facility, program focus, coaches philosophy, etc,but the head HS coach has his kids play in a different league for better exposure so there is some disconnect.

Love the sport, hate the politics. I'd rather coach Johnny that drops a fly ball and smiles than Brad that fields a ground ball and has no emotion.

I've coached travel ball for 14 years, only the last three have been my own kid. It is a lot of fun. It also is cut throat. I hate the end of the season when tyrouts happen. I have been the coach that has the middle team where kids get moved up and down from, so never the same group each year. It sucks. We are staying in a school feeder league,s which has some benifits, own indoor facility, program focus, coaches philosophy, etc,but the head HS coach has his kids play in a different league for better exposure so there is some disconnect.

Love the sport, hate the politics. I'd rather coach Johnny that drops a fly ball and smiles than Brad that fields a ground ball and has no emotion.
Would it be inappropriate to ask for pics of Johnny and Brad's moms?
Asking for a friend.

Good for you for doing it. Soak it in and enjoy it. I was kind of relieved when the youngest finally was done with travel ball but damn it was a lot of fun when we were in it. and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it. My rotator cuff doesn't though. Guarantee that fvcker has 100,000 bp pitches on it if not more.
I umped a 12u game last week and the starting pitcher for one of the teams pitched the entire game and threw 120 pitches. Crazy.

Iowa City. And I understand the politics part as well. Don’t really like that part either. I just hope to delay any travel aspect for any sports for as long as we can.
The politics topic has been brought up a few times. Can someone give a little more detail on the politics side of this discussion? Is it that Johnny gets to play over more deserving kids because his dad coaches?

For softball, Central Iowa Sports, also USSSA, reviews teams and moves them up if their power ranking gets too high.

The politics topic has been brought up a few times. Can someone give a little more detail on the politics side of this discussion? Is it that Johnny gets to play over more deserving kids because his dad coaches?
Yes. Include adding and dropping kids based on parent/coach relationships, where a kid plays vs where another kid plays etc... we moved a couple kids off our teams early on where a kid was on the fence skills wise, and not gonna lie, pita parents were part of the deciding factor. As a volunteer coach you're only going to get bitched out by a parent so many times before you cut ties.

Yes. Include adding and dropping kids based on parent/coach relationships, where a kid plays vs where another kid plays etc... we moved a couple kids off our teams early on where a kid was on the fence skills wise, and not gonna lie, pita parents were part of the deciding factor. As a volunteer coach you're only going to get bitched out by a parent so many times before you cut ties.
Hell, isn't that the fun of club ball? All the drama and BS from parents?

Joking aside, I think you made a great point about kids on feeder teams/clubs. I don't know if this is still a thing but back in the day when IC West started Trojan Ball club, if you weren't "enrolled" in that club, you had exactly ZERO chance of playing for IC West varsity, and about a 5% chance of making the team. That's IC West, I assume City, Liberty, and Regina are the same.

Right or wrong, the better teams with better coaching don't have much turnover from year to year. Waiting too long is at the risk of not getting on one of these teams.

They have off season tryouts, but sometimes don't add or only replace one kid.

From experience, there is still some "politics" involved, but talent generally gets noticed.

If you're looking for the best scenario, waiting for 5th grade is too late.

JMO.
This opinion is shared by many. In our area they say "you can't make the HS team if you don't play travel."

I call BS. Teams will find room for good players, period.

For the record, my kids’ parents are heavy and they are all normal size. And 2 of the 3 played varsity. The other would have but for a torn labrum. One played college baseball and the other would have played football in college if he hadn’t torn up his knees. And all of the kids on the Super State baseball team my youngest son’s senior year were kids who he played with and against in USSSA. I believe by 14 all were at the majors level.

For the record, my kids’ parents are heavy and they are all normal size. And 2 of the 3 played varsity. The other would have but for a torn labrum. One played college baseball and the other would have played football in college if he hadn’t torn up his knees. And all of the kids on the Super State baseball team my youngest son’s senior year were kids who he played with and against in USSSA. I believe by 14 all were at the majors level.

Noted.

We're really seeing kids separate in size from age 11 to age 12 on many teams that I'm familiar with. Moreover in regards to height.

I’d say the kids playing AAA or Majors at 13 or 14 will likely play HS varsity and beyond. Younger than that and they’re still developing. I see a lot of AAA and Majors teams at the 8-12 year-old range made up of a mix of good players, kids who are already peaking, and kids whose parents bought their way onto the team. I’ve also seen kids playing on A and AA teams in that age range end up studs in HS and beyond.

Reactions: MitchLL and win4jj
CR Reds Dad/coach here. If they enjoy it, do it. If they don’t enjoy it, don’t.

SMH.

Better off to pay a really good batting/pitching coach for private lessons if improvement is what you want.

If you have the money and enjoy it, travel ball all you want.

Just keep in mind, you are chasing 1 of 11.7 scholarships on a DI baseball team. And a big “IF” is does the school even use them all. Back in the day UNI was D1 but gave out no scholarships.

Iowa junior colleges typically have huge rosters with lots of out of state kids.

Minnesota is a lower level of junior college but rosters on average are much smaller and you have to play to be seen by 4 year schools.

I’d say the kids playing AAA or Majors at 13 or 14 will likely play HS varsity and beyond. Younger than that and they’re still developing. I see a lot of AAA and Majors teams at the 8-12 year-old range made up of a mix of good players, kids who are already peaking, and kids whose parents bought their way onto the team. I’ve also seen kids playing on A and AA teams in that age range end up studs in HS and beyond.
I can see the nature / nurture dynamic definitely being a thing. Our 10 y/o is a decent player on a good AA team (not AAA or majors) but let's just say my wife and I won't be doing him any favors on the nature front has we both are about as physically average as humans can get. We have to look up to talk to most of the other parents of kids on the team. So we we have pretty realistic expectations in the coming years and just encourage our kid to have fun, open to just doing rec league if he ever wants, etc.

I feel like we coach in the same feeder program with the info you’ve given.

Agree on the politics, especially within this program. It ruins the game. It only hurts those kids and their development. It’s a fine line because some kids should be developing faster and if they are on a lower level than they should be, the development is slower because the challenge just isn’t there. Others are sometimes at too high of a level and end up being overwhelmed by the level of play and get discouraged. Just my opinion.

At the end of the day, all we can do is coach them up and make sure the boys have fun. The rest will work itself out.

I’ll end it with this. If you’re a parent who is thinking about getting your kid involved with a club USSSA program or even a feeder program, please stress coachability to your child. It’s the single most important thing for the development of your child in any sport, not just baseball.

We know you want your kid to play shortstop and pitch. But if your child is left handed, for example, the number of positions he can play when he is older is very limited. If you have a good coach, he will know little things like that and put your child in the best position to succeed well beyond a single year.

Noted.

We're really seeing kids separate in size from age 11 to age 12 on many teams that I'm familiar with. Moreover in regards to height.
Pairings are out for state. What division is your grandson in? Maybe we can cross paths for a HORT hello.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT