ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas lines for Iowa Football

The evolution in ISU fan logic is weird to me. Last year, most would say that the Cy-Hawk result would be based on which team’s style of play would the game be played at. Iowa’s smash mouth style was the the theme and, eventually, Iowa was the better team at their style. Now the logic is that ISU will beat Iowa at their own game. A Wisconsin fan could get away with that because they have been better at being Iowa than Iowa (hence the dominance). ISU? Gotta prove it or it’s just white noise.

He is compared to Stanley. And he thinks he is the toughest guy on the field. That will catch up with him.

Says who? Im almost 100% certain you hold this opinion because he talked trash to Iowa when scoring a TD.

Do you think Iowa has a better front 7 than Iowa State? Answer seriously.

Peavy was ranked top 15 as a corner from PFF last year and he should have had season ending surgery. He was pretty damn good. Too small to play corner in the NFL.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pffs-top-15-cornerbacks-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

With a top 10 front 7 and all world corner, how did ISU possibly end up ranked in the 30s defensively while Iowa was top 10? ISU allowed over half a yard more per play than Iowa last year. Iowa also has more 4 star depth.

I like PFF a lot but it also is one tool that doesn't tell the whole story. For example, it rated Ojemudia as top 5 corner in the Big 10 for fewest receptions allowed per snap. Great, but every Iowa fan knows that Hankins is the better of the two.

5'9" Duke Shelly from KSU got drafted in the 6th while Peavy went undrafted. It's not simply height.

With a top 10 front 7 and all world corner, how did ISU possibly end up ranked in the 30s defensively while Iowa was top 10? ISU allowed over half a yard more per play than Iowa last year. Iowa also has more 4 star depth.

I like PFF a lot but it also is one tool that doesn't tell the whole story. For example, it rated Ojemudia as top 5 corner in the Big 10 for fewest receptions allowed per snap. Great, but every Iowa fan knows that Hankins is the better of the two.

5'9" Duke Shelly from KSU got drafted in the 6th while Peavy went undrafted. It's not simply height.

What is the average yard per play in the BIG compared to the Big 12? Comparing yard per play is such a ridiculous metric. Comparing apples and oranges. Big 12 is wide open run and gun prolific quarterbacks while BIG is historically ground and pound elite in the trenches.

Iowa State averaged 5.8 yards per play last year on offense compared to 5.2 for Iowa.

When is the last time he slid after a run?

He's not an option QB like Scott Frost or Tommie Frazier. He runs out of bounds all the time.

Nebraska runs an Spread Offense with lots of RPOs, most of the time when Martinez is running, he is running because that is the open part of the field.

What is the average yard per play in the BIG compared to the Big 12? Comparing yard per play is such a ridiculous metric. Comparing apples and oranges. Big 12 is wide open run and gun prolific quarterbacks while BIG is historically ground and pound elite in the trenches.

Iowa State averaged 5.8 yards per play last year on offense compared to 5.2 for Iowa.

You would think with wide open offenses then ISU would have more opportunity for sacks and Ints but trailed Iowa in both.

INTS
IOWA- 20 ISU- 8

SACKS
IOWA- 35 ISU-33

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
You would think with wide open offenses then ISU would have more opportunity for sacks and Ints but trailed Iowa in both.

INTS
IOWA- 20 ISU- 8

SACKS
IOWA- 35 ISU-33

Again, youd think Iowa would be the near touchdown favorite? Someone should alert Vegas. What gives?

Again, youd think Iowa would be the near touchdown favorite? Someone should alert Vegas. What gives?

Preseason, Vegas looks at last year's results and returning experience. The lines will shift between now and the game.

They can't evaluate how good newcomers like Nixon, Vanvalkenburg, DJ Johnson will be.

Since you like PFF then why do they have Iowa at #10 and ISU #21?

Or Massey which has Iowa at #13 and a 4 point favorite @ #32 ISU.

The advanced stats firms favor Iowa.

Preseason, Vegas looks at last year's results and returning experience. The lines will shift between now and the game.

They can't evaluate how good newcomers like Nixon, Vanvalkenburg, DJ Johnson will be.

Since you like PFF then why do they have Iowa at #10 and ISU #21?

Or Massey which has Iowa at #13 and a 4 point favorite @ #32 ISU.

The advanced stats firms favor Iowa.

I'll take Vegas all day every single day.

Also, you are the recruiting guru, Nixon, Vanvalkenburg, and DJ Johnson were all 3 star recruits, correct? They are all expected to fill positions of need.

Jirehl Brock, Breece Hall and Joseph Scates were all legit 4 star recruits. They are also expected to fill positions of need.

Clearly Vegas knows more about both rosters than you.

Also, you are the recruiting guru, Nixon, Vanvalkenburg, and DJ Johnson were all 3 star recruits, correct? They are all expected to fill positions of need.

Jirehl Brock, Breece Hall and Joseph Scates were all legit 4 star recruits. They are also expected to fill positions of need.

I don't think you want to start comparing 4 stars on each roster. It's about a 3:1 ratio.

And DJ Johnson was a 247 4 star.

Vanvalkenburg was a grad transfer and Nixon was a juco transfer with an Alabama offer.

LOL!

I don't think you want to start comparing 4 stars on each roster. It's about a 3:1 ratio.

And DJ Johnson was a 247 4 star.

Vanvalkenburg was a grad transfer and Nixon was a juco transfer with an Alabama offer.

Lol PLEASE list all these stud 4 star recruits on Iowa roster other than AJE who was a legacy recruit. Please get going I am waiting. List them all for me. I count three 4 stars and one 5 star (AJE).

DJ Johnson 247 profile (1, 2, THREE stars).

https://247sports.com/player/donald-johnson-93336/

Ohhh Vanvalkenburg was a grad transfer huh? La'Michael Pettway was as well probably more highly regarded also.

You always bragging the Bama offer for Nixon. Brock Purdy and Joseph Scates both had Bama offers you act like if you get a Bama offer youre an automatic 1st round draft pick. Get over it.

Last edited:
Lol PLEASE list all these stud 4 star recruits on Iowa roster other than AJE who was a legacy recruit. Please get going I am waiting. List them all for me. I count three 4 stars and one 5 star (AJE).

Ohhh Vanvalkenburg was a grad transfer huh? La'Michael Pettway was as well probably more highly regarded also.

You always bragging the Bama offer for Nixon. Brock Purdy and Joseph Scates both had Bama offers you act like if you get a Bama offer youre an automatic 1st round draft pick. Get over it.
Typical Iowa State crap. Get it done on the field, then brag. Otherwise, go brag to your friends on CF. They might actually believe you!

;)

and yes I understand it is internal buzz but Iowa State calling their TE room top 5 in the country (unproven so we will see).

giphy.gif

Reactions: not_mantiteo

Do you think that Purdy and Scates are not valued more as recruits because of their supposed offer from Alabama? That is what you appear to be arguing.

Do you think that Purdy and Scates are not valued more as recruits because of their supposed offer from Alabama? That is what you appear to be arguing.

CP84 alludes to Nixons offer from Bama again and again as though it is some kind of trump card that no other recruit can match. I just said Scates was more highly regarded and also had a Bama offer.

CP84 alludes to Nixons offer from Bama again and again as though it is some kind of trump card that no other recruit can match. I just said Scates was more highly regarded and also had a Bama offer.
It is no different than what Clones fans like you do. For God's sake, give credit where credit is due.

Are you not aware there is a difference between the 247 composite which includes Rivals and 247s own grades?

DJ Johnson was a 4 star by 247 and a 3 star by Rivals. That's why the composite is 3 stars.

Click on this link and look right below the composite. 90 rated, 4 star, #26 overall corner by 247.

https://247sports.com/Player/Donald-Johnson-93336/high-school-178630/

247 4 stars from the last three classes.
Jestin Jacobs
Tyler Linderbaum
Ezra Miller
Tyler Endres
Logan Lee
Jeff Jenkins
Jack Campbell
DJ Johnson
AJ Epenesa
Tristan Wirfs
Mark Kallenberger
Djimon Colbert
Oliver Martin (transfer)

Additional that received Rivals 4 stars.
Spencer Petras
John Waggoner
Dallas Craddieth
Julius Brents

Now how many for ISU?
Four total LOL

Last edited:
I mean, Vedral’s offer list isn’t much worse than Mansell’s and Petras visited Oregon St and Iowa and didn’t have many other impressive offers. So, in that case, I’ll take the experience > star rating of the Iowa backups
Your offense and defense line blows. A nice person would say good luck, but your a husker. So just leave.

Reactions: sltldowney

Iowa state had the RB who would shed 3 tackles for positive yards. He gone.

Are you not aware there is a difference between the 247 composite which includes Rivals and 247s own grades?

DJ Johnson was a 4 star by 247 and a 3 star by Rivals. That's why the composite is 3 stars.

Click on this link and look right below the composite. 90 rated, 4 star, #26 overall corner by 247.

https://247sports.com/Player/Donald-Johnson-93336/high-school-178630/

247 4 stars from the last three classes.
Jestin Jacobs
Tyler Linderbaum
Ezra Miller
Tyler Endres
Logan Lee
Jeff Jenkins
Jack Campbell
DJ Johnson
AJ Epenesa
Tristan Wirfs
Mark Kallenberger
Djimon Colbert
Oliver Martin (transfer)

Additional that received Rivals 4 stars.
Spencer Petras
John Waggoner
Dallas Craddieth
Julius Brents

Now how many for ISU?
Four total LOL

LMAO. Hawk fans use whatever rating service makes their players look best. For basketball its ESPN. For football apparently it is JUST 247 never mind the composite that is widely considered the primary source. With all those stud 4 stars why on Earth is Iowa nearly touchdown dogs to Iowa State? Still haven't answered the question...waiting...

Man, that Michigan line... I'd be tempted to be the under there.

We're kinda owed one against them though, right? They smoked us the last time in Ann Arbor in 2012 when we fielded that horrible 4-8 team (a.k.a. the "JV" James Vandenberg team). But we haven't lost to them since 2006 with the exception of 2012.

I'm really not sold on ISU.

Solid team but they were lucky to win 8 in a conference that was down. TCU, KState, TTU and Okie State were subpar.

KSU, the 110th ranked offense at 22 ppg, scored 38 and should have won.

Drake's QB threw for 3 TDs and completed 69% of his passes.

They were getting blasted 24-3 in the 4th quarter vs Texas and got a give me TD with 1:33 left.

They took the lead against TTU with 4 minutes in the game off a safety. TTU had bad losses to Ole Miss, KSU and Baylor.

Their entire season was made by the WVU game, an overrated team that was a one man show (Grier) and got destroyed by Syracuse without him.

They were fortunate to play a grossly overrated one dimensional Pac 12 team in their bowl. Washington made Minshew look terrible in the Apple Cup and Myles Gaskin ran all over them for 170 yards and 3 TDs.

For comparison, Sagarin had WSU finish last year at #20 compared to #8 for Mississippi State.

They lost a receiver who accounted for over 40% of their total passing yards and a RB who led the country in broken tackles behind a poor OL. That will be far more detrimental and difficult to replace than Iowa getting TE production.
I’m not sold on them either. I could see them being a 6-6 team even with their incredibly weak schedule.

Oh and your offense line blows too

Your receivers and TEs are a joke and your QBs one bag of doritos away from not being able to fit in his jersey . Might give that 65 yards passing @Wisconsin a couple of years ago a run for its money this year.

Your receivers and TEs are a joke and your QBs one bag of doritos away from not being able to fit in his jersey . Might give that 65 yards passing @Wisconsin a couple of years ago a run for its money this year.
They might be but they beat your a$$ every year

and your QBs one bag of doritos away from not being able to fit in his jersey

Alright dude. I wasn't going to say anything, but Stanley is an absolute monster in the weight room. He's set a few records even. Since you're on this board so much, there's a thread about lifting that you can check out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT