ADVERTISEMENT

VIDEO/TRANSCRIPT: Rutgers Football HC Greg Schiano previews Iowa game

Richard Schnyderite

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2016
Hey guys! Rich Schnyderite here, publisher of The Knight Report aka the Rutgers-Rivals site. Just wanted to drop by and post our video from Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano's press conference today.

There is only a couple of Iowa questions / answers in there, so ENJOY!

I haven’t read the transcript yet but a big key to a Rutgers win is this: score first. Take receive if you win the coin flip. Use all 4 downs if you reach midfield. Put points on the board. Make Iowa play from behind.

Not a plan to guarantee success but it improves the odds greatly.

I haven’t read the transcript yet but a big key to a Rutgers win is this: score first. Take receive if you win the coin flip. Use all 4 downs if you reach midfield. Put points on the board. Make Iowa play from behind.

Yes, the hawk defense has to be totally warmed up and on high alert and playing lights out from the first play.

The hawks are not built to play from a 2 score deficit as you all know. And actually Iowa's foe that is up by 9 or more points could mainly run the ball and punt the rest of the game if need be if Iowa's offense is being totally held in check

30% here don't respect Kirk but folks that know football do.
I respect what Ferentz has accomplished.

The Husch Blackwell report is a black mark and the debacle with Brian is a negative IMO but overall, a very good job with the program during his tenure. He should be honored when he’s done here.

Reactions: artradley
Yes, the hawk defense has to be totally warmed up and on high alert and playing lights out from the first play.

The hawks are not built to play from a 2 point deficit as you all know. And actually Iowa's foe that is up by 9 or more points could mainly run the ball and punt the rest of the game if need be if Iowa's offense is being totally held in check
Fify

I’m guessing this will be another “Stone Age” type of game and will likely come down to who has the ball last. O/U 23 points. If we can stop their stud RB we should have a decent chance to win. Go Hawks!

30% here don't respect Kirk but folks that know football do.

Most respect what KF has done and don't mind his philosphy at all.

The problem is that we can't utilize this philosophy any longer because we haven't developed players to compete that way.

1. Win the turnover battle (not right now)
2. Win field position (most of the time yes)
3. Control the clock (we can't)
4. Control the line of scrimmage (we are bullied up and down the o line)
5. Bend but don't break defense (doesn't allow us to be successful. Penn St. and Minnesota capitalized on that gassing our defense because the offense isn’t doing their part)
6. Elite special teams (still have that)
7. Complementary football (no chance)
8. Develop players to be their best (defense yes, offense has failed almost everywhere but TE... QB and o line are the biggest offenders).

2.5/8 of a strategy isn't a strategy any longer. It is a failed gameplan.

Whose side are you on?!

Reactions: artradley
No turnovers for Hawks and we win. Probably another 40 rush attempts 20 pass attempts kinda game.

Schiano is a class act. Tons of respect for that dude. He stands in stark contrast to his counterpart in Ann Arbor.

Last edited:
Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP

The hawks are not built to play from a 2 score deficit as you all know. And actually Iowa's foe that is up by 9 or more points could mainly run the ball and punt the rest of the game if need be if Iowa's offense is being totally held in check
in kirk's presser today he alludes to iowa's 2-minute offense like it's a real and routine capability in iowa's offensive arsenal. despite being one of the few iowa fans who actually agrees that the offense came through in the clutch against nw, i about spit out my beverage and lol-ed
that said, if he was serious, maybe we were keeping a bunch of powder dry for november

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Use all 4 downs if you reach midfield.
They would also risk giving the Hawks a relatively short field if they turn it over on downs. How many yards from the 50 to give Stevens a good chance for 3? 12 to 15?

They would also risk giving the Hawks a relatively short field if they turn it over on downs. How many yards from the 50 to give Stevens a good chance for 3? 12 to 15?
worth the risk. Rutgers isnt getting shut out. Risk surrendering 3 points for a chance to get an early lead against this Iowa team at Kinnick - that’s a high benefit to risk ratio IMO.

You kind of wonder if at some point teams will decide that so long as they are past their own 40 they can use all four downs.

in kirk's presser today he alludes to iowa's 2-minute offense like it's a real and routine capability in iowa's offensive arsenal. despite being one of the few iowa fans who actually agrees that the offense came through in the clutch against nw, i about spit out my beverage and lol-ed
that said, if he was serious, maybe we were keeping a bunch of powder dry for november
I am with you that Kirks teams have usually done poorly in late game offensive possessions like a 1 or 2 minute drill. And if you look at the times when he had teams that could score quick late in the game we are talking Banks, Tate, STanzi, and CJB as the qb. Nate Stanley did it more than a few times also

I am with you that Kirks teams have usually done poorly in late game offensive possessions like a 1 or 2 minute drill. And if you look at the times when he had teams that could score quick late in the game we are talking Banks, Tate, STanzi, and CJB as the qb. Nate Stanley did it more than a few times also

I’ve followed the Hawks since the late 60’s, and I don’t think we have ever had anything resembling a competent two minute drill. But, honestly, most college teams do not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT