ADVERTISEMENT

Virgina

200.gif

They do have a National Title under Bennett to console themselves.
Yep, the ultimate wouldja. Wouldja take being the first 1 seed to lose to a 16, and an embarrassing loss in the play-in game to win a national title? An easy yes for me with our history, but ouch.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I should head over to the Virginia board and see what’s going down….im sure they want their coach fired🤓

Here’s what has bookended that title: the historic initial first-round loss by a No. 1 seed to a No. 16 (UMBC Retrievers) in 2018; a first-round loss as a No. 4 seed to the No. 13 Ohio Bobcats in ’21; an NIT appearance in ’22; a first-round loss as a No. 4 seed to the No. 13 Furman Paladins last year; and now a 25-point First Four undressing as a No. 10 seed against fellow No. 10 CSU.

There is 6–0 in 2019, and there is a brutal 0–4 (with an NIT appearance) in ’18 and between 2021 and ’24.
Their 42 points for the game was a First Four–record low, which is really something when you consider that four No. 16 seeds play in that round every year. It was reminiscent of the 2017 NCAA tourney, in which Virginia lost in the second round 65–39 to the Florida Gators.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...8645abb3604b00b29a7c358da13485&ei=61#comments

Here’s what has bookended that title: the historic initial first-round loss by a No. 1 seed to a No. 16 (UMBC Retrievers) in 2018; a first-round loss as a No. 4 seed to the No. 13 Ohio Bobcats in ’21; an NIT appearance in ’22; a first-round loss as a No. 4 seed to the No. 13 Furman Paladins last year; and now a 25-point First Four undressing as a No. 10 seed against fellow No. 10 CSU.

There is 6–0 in 2019, and there is a brutal 0–4 (with an NIT appearance) in ’18 and between 2021 and ’24.
Their 42 points for the game was a First Four–record low, which is really something when you consider that four No. 16 seeds play in that round every year. It was reminiscent of the 2017 NCAA tourney, in which Virginia lost in the second round 65–39 to the Florida Gators.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...8645abb3604b00b29a7c358da13485&ei=61#comments
Tough to explain, other than selling your soul for defense and a massively deliberate offense. Of course they may just be bad offensively but still.

I won't be picking ISU or Houston to make the F4 simply because they can have these bad offensive games. Great D's for sure but the tourney is just to unpredictable and sometimes your D can't overcome your O.

And got blown out in both.
Whether they were blown out or not in the Michigan game is debatable. A couple bounces go Iowa's way and that game could have looked much different. It was certainly the most competitive 26-0 game you'll ever see.

Regardless, the point is that Iowa football had a more successful season than Virginia basketball. The first way to compare teams is by level of success. Iowa was clearly more successful, so I think the comparison only goes so far

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
Whether they were blown out or not in the Michigan game is debatable. A couple bounces go Iowa's way and that game could have looked much different. It was certainly the most competitive 26-0 game you'll ever see.

Regardless, the point is that Iowa football had a more successful season than Virginia basketball. The first way to compare teams is by level of success. Iowa was clearly more successful, so I think the comparison only goes so far

Iowa got blown out in last BT title game---Michigan called off the dogs because Iowa offense was no threat. Deacon Hill and the offense was a joke. I don't agree you can call a game where you scored 0 pts and lost by 26 points "competitive" but that is my opinion.

The loss to UT was certainly a blowout loss.

If you don't think the 2023 Big10 Championship that was a blow out, then you will have to admit the 2021 appearance was a blowout loss losing 42-3.

I would take all the Bennett embarrassments for the Conference titles he has won + the National title. So Fran can keep on losing his 1st games in BTT like he does most years,or the embarassing beatdown NcAA tourney games as long as he wins a conference championship or National title once every 14 years.

Iowa got blown out in last BT title game---Michigan called off the dogs because Iowa offense was no threat. Deacon Hill and the offense was a joke. I don't agree you can call a game where you scored 0 pts and lost by 26 points "competitive" but that is my opinion.

The loss to UT was certainly a blowout loss.

If you don't think the 2023 Big10 Championship that was a blow out, then you will have to admit the 2021 appearance was a blowout loss losing 42-3.

I would take all the Bennett embarrassments for the Conference titles he has won + the National title. So Fran can keep on losing his 1st games in BTT like he does most years,or the embarassing beatdown NcAA tourney games as long as he wins a conference championship or National title once every 14 years.
I agree with your last paragraph. What drives me nuts more about Fran isn't that he hasn't made a Sweet 16, it's that he hasn't come close to making one. Constant no shows or blow outs. The only time was a hail mary comeback against Tennessee which again we were getting killed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT