ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: DJ Carton will Commit to which of these 6 schools? 49% So Far Say He's Headed to IOWA

DJ Carton will Commit to which of these 6 schools?

• Ohio State

• Iowa

• MIchigan

• Marquette

• Indiana

• Xavier

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'll throw my speculative hat in the ring with absolutely no inside info.

I'm cautiously very, very optimistic that DJ will be an Iowa Hawk. I like the way things are lining up for Iowa, all of which have been mentioned on public forums...

1. He's very family oriented including his grandfather who played at IA
2. Iowa is only 45 minutes away and no other of his top 6 are even close
3. Has a very tight relationship with Joe W and Patrick M
4. Is very eager to play with Joe W, Patrick M, Xavier F, Conner M, Luka G, Jack N, etc. - that's some serious talent
5. Reportedly has a good relationship with Fran, the coaching staff, and the other players
6. He's loyal (stuck with HS and AAU club when I'm sure he could have went elsewhere)
7. His girlfriend is enrolled at Iowa and is smoking hot (okay, I made that up, no idea who she is & what she looks like)
8. Rumor in the Eastern Iowa corridor that some big time Hawkeye donors are reportedly indicating that they've been led to believe that Carton will become a Hawk!

I'm calling it right now, Carton to Iowa!
Okay..Is there any chance anyone in his family is a coach that Iowa could hire, like Missouri did?

Reactions: skydog0784
Lots of assumptions being made about what DJ will do. You gotta look at DJ specifically, not just what other players in his position have done.

Yeah, he's a Bettendorf kid. But he was born in North Carolina, not Iowa, and he lived in Illinois for about 5 years, up until high school. So, I don't think we can count our chickens that being a Bett Bulldog means he will end up at Iowa.

And yeah, he's a 5-star player now with a ton of offers. But from everything he's said, he cares a lot about having a good relationship with coaches and players, and it would take an awful lot for anyone to jump in the game this late and win him over. And most of those schools have PG commits already. Not that it couldn’t happen, but I think he’d be less open to it than many kids in his position. I think he likes his six schools and will pick one of them. Consider the fact that he doesn’t want to drag this out much longer out of respect for the coaches recruiting him, so they can start looking at other players if he doesn’t pick them. I think he’s a really grounded, respectful young man who values personal relationships and won’t jump the second that Coach K or Bill Self give him a call.

I feel pretty confident that it will come down to Michigan or Iowa in the end. No idea which school he picks though.

Reactions: skydog0784
Curious as to why. Recruiting analysts are not saying that . I don't believe I have read anything from Tom or Blair saying Iowa is in the lead. So just a hunch ?

1) He likes our style of play.
2) He will get playing time.
3) He knows and likes our guys.
4) His Grandad played for Iowa and is a Hawkeye.
5) Bettendorf is an hour away from IC. His other choices are 200-400 miles away.

No inside info but I think the coaches are confident that they will land DJ.

5) Bettendorf is an hour away from IC. His other choices are 200-400 miles away.

Until Fran lands a stud PG the cynic in me says He goes elsewhere. I hope to be proven wrong.

Thanks for your insight!!!

Thoughts on the poll #s so far? ;)

Just curious; was DJ adopted? Any other interesting info on his background?

sounds like a great kid with great parents; its really nice to see.

thanks.

Thanks for your insight!!!

Thoughts on the poll #s so far? ;)

Just curious; was DJ adopted? Any other interesting info on his background?

sounds like a great kid with great parents; its really nice to see.

thanks.

I was curious about this too, given that his parents appear to be white. Or it is his step dad/Mom?

Reactions: Franisdaman
The pull of playing with Trayce Jackson-Davis and Keion Brooks for former point guard Archie Miller means he is IU bound.

☝️☝️☝️

Stick to the Hoosier boards. Or Twitter.

TJD and Brooks haven’t pulled the trigger for IU yet. And they might not. And what does Archie Miller being a former point guard have to do with anything? Miller hasn’t done jack at Indiana. Hoosier fans are slobbering over him like Husker fans over Frost. It’s gross.

☝️☝️☝️

TJD and Brooks haven’t pulled the trigger for IU yet. And they might not. And what does Archie Miller being a former point guard have to do with anything? Miller hasn’t done jack at Indiana. Hoosier fans are slobbering over him like Husker fans over Frost. It’s gross.

This is humorous considering Fran has replaced Crean as the goofiest coach in the B1G/ He may be tied wirth Miles, both are pretty strange guys.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I was curious about this too, given that his parents appear to be white. Or it is his step dad/Mom?
I think it would be an interesting story because I am guessing he was adopted based on seeing video of his parents (who are white) and his brother (who is white)

Maybe its not a story DJ or his parents want to share or make public; but guess what? He has become a very public figure based on blowing up on the basketball scene.

Maybe a story will be done if he commits to the Hawks.

☝️☝️☝️

Well Archie swept Iowa last year and finished 6th in the Big Ten. Where did Iowa finish again? He also has the best class in the Big Ten coming in, number 7 in the country.

I haven't read from any national recruiting analyst that Iowa is even in the race. Everywhere I've seen it's been Michigan, IU, and Ohio State in that order.

Well Archie swept Iowa last year and finished 6th in the Big Ten. Where did Iowa finish again? He also has the best class in the Big Ten coming in, number 7 in the country.

I haven't read from any national recruiting analyst that Iowa is even in the race. Everywhere I've seen it's been Michigan, IU, and Ohio State in that order.
Bummer! But we will take your word for it that Iowa finishes 4th (or worse?) in the 6 team race.

Thanks on your insider info (normally we would have to pay for info like this!) and congrats on making his Top 2!!

And yes, the 49% of us that picked Iowa are just a bunch of dummies, obviously.

Indiana won two more games than Iowa last year, but hey let’s just give them the natty right now.

How is he the goofiest?

The most volatile and angry, sure. Does that make him goofy?

This guy looks pretty goofy to me.

images

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

Where have you read this? It should be easy to provide few links.

I’ll be truly surprised if he ends up anywhere but Iowa. No way Fran misses here. Too much in our favor.

Indiana won two more games than Iowa last year, but hey let’s just give them the natty right now.
I never said IU was going to win the national title next year. I was just saying it makes no sense to make fun of Archie who went 9 and 9 in the conference while sweeping Iowa. When Iowa's established coach went 4 and 14 in the conference.

I’ll be truly surprised if he ends up anywhere but Iowa. No way Fran misses here. Too much in our favor.
I'm on my phone, I can't post links. Just look around on rivals, I mean you never know but Iowa hasn't really been mentioned. Those National guys aren't always reliable though, Iowa is his home state school.

This is humorous considering Fran has replaced Crean as the goofiest coach in the B1G/ He may be tied wirth Miles, both are pretty strange guys.
What? A little over the top being a hot head on the bench sometimes, but he seems normal in day to day life.

So did he just throw Iowa a bone and include them in his final few for no reason?

Nobody knows where’s he’s going at the moment, including DJ....but the tea leaves aren’t pointing in Iowa’s direction right now. All national analysts say Michigan, Indiana and osu are at the top of his board. You guys on this forum may be some of the biggest Homer’s I’ve seen saying Iowa leads when the kid hasn’t said that publicly and all experts are saying otherwise. I’d get the confidence if you were a blue blood or even a program with a ton of recent success, but you’re not either of those things

That’s not to say Iowa can’t land him, but there’s no reason to be so confident

Last edited:
I'm on my phone, I can't post links. Just look around on rivals, I mean you never know but Iowa hasn't really been mentioned. Those National guys aren't always reliable though, Iowa is his home state school.
What smartphone do you own that allows you to post on an online message board, but not copy and paste a link?

Reactions: RocknRollface
What smartphone do you own that allows you to post on an online message board, but not copy and paste a link?
All you have to do is type in DJ Carton Recruitment and check out the different rivals articles. Eric Bossi has talked about it and Corey Evans did twitter Tuesday talking about it today. Hell look at the 247 crystal ball, there are 11 predictions and none of them are for Iowa. I'm not doing it for you if you want to look, look.

Reactions: BANGBRO
Nobody knows where’s he’s going at the moment, including DJ....but the tea leaves aren’t pointing in Iowa’s direction right now. All national analysts say Michigan, Indiana and osu are at the top of his board. You guys on this forum may be some of the biggest Homer’s I’ve seen saying Iowa leads when the kid hasn’t said that publicly and all experts are saying otherwise. I’d get the confidence if you were a blue blood or even a program with a ton of recent success, but you’re not either of those things

That’s not to say Iowa can’t land him, but there’s no reason to be so confident
This post is a mess. First you say that nobody, including DJ, knows where he is going. Yet somehow the tea leaves aren’t pointing Iowa’s way because all the experts say OSU, Michigan, and Indiana are his top choices... which makes no sense if DJ himself doesn’t know. You then appeal to the “experts” again and call the posters here overconfident homers.

After all that contradiction, you cover your bases saying that Iowa actually can land Carton.

Since nobody, including DJ, knows where he’s going, Hawk fans, with Iowa’s regional advantage and longer recruitment time than most of the other schools in his top 5, have as much reason to be confident as anybody else

All you have to do is type in DJ Carton Recruitment and check out the different rivals articles. Eric Bossi has talked about it and Corey Evans did twitter Tuesday talking about it today. Hell look at the 247 crystal ball, there are 11 predictions and none of them are for Iowa. I'm not doing it for you if you want to look, look.
I’m not asking you to do anything. I thought it was weird that you said you couldn’t post a link and asked what smartphone you have that allows you to post on a message board but not copy and paste...

That said, how do you figure you can post that Michigan, IU, and Ohio State (in that order) are his leaders without citing your source and not get called on it? Since, obviously, nobody on this site has seen this news, how is it our responsibility to look up your claim?

This post is a mess. First you say that nobody, including DJ, knows where he is going. Yet somehow the tea leaves aren’t pointing Iowa’s way because all the experts say OSU, Michigan, and Indiana are his top choices... which makes no sense if DJ himself doesn’t know. You then appeal to the “experts” again and call the posters here overconfident homers.

After all that contradiction, you cover your bases saying that Iowa actually can land Carton.

Since nobody, including DJ, knows where he’s going, Hawk fans, with Iowa’s regional advantage and longer recruitment time than most of the other schools in his top 5, have as much reason to be confident as anybody else

I say he doesn’t know where he’s going because he hasn’t committed anywhere yet and id imagine that he’d go ahead and commit if he knew 100% where he wanted to go. With that being said, insiders have begun indentifying which teams apparently lead for him at the moment based on conversations he’s had with them and people that are close with him. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Let me break it down in terms that you can hopefully understand: Say you have 6 girls that like you and all of them want you to commit/ date them exclusively...3 stand out and are the most attractive to you for different reasons, but you still haven’t closed the door on some others you currently like a little less but are also attracted to. You’re still going to go on a date or 2 to see if your feelings may change etc before pulling the trigger. This is essentially what Dj’s doing

While staying close to home may have some pull, there’s no reason to believe it’s going to win out in this situation other than being a homer. Iowa as a program is literally worse in every aspect than the 3 programs mentioned as his leader, the school itself is a worse academic institution, less racially diverse (if that matters to him)...it’s also not like the other schools are extremely far either.

I’m not saying that its impossible that you land him, but people on this board acting as if it’s likely are simply being homers and clearly aren’t plugged in to whats being reported on this kids recruitment.

I say he doesn’t know where he’s going because he hasn’t committed anywhere yet and id imagine that he’d go ahead and commit if he knew 100% where he wanted to go. With that being said, insiders have begun indentifying which teams apparently lead for him at the moment based on conversations he’s had with them and people that are close with him. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Let me break it down in terms that you can hopefully understand: Say you have 6 girls that like you and all of them want you to commit/ date them exclusively...3 stand out and are the most attractive to you for different reasons, but you still haven’t closed the door on some others you currently like a little less but are also attracted to. You’re still going to go on a date or 2 to see if your feelings may change etc before pulling the trigger. This is essentially what Dj’s doing

While staying close to home may have some pull, there’s no reason to believe it’s going to win out in this situation other than being a homer. Iowa as a program is literally worse in every aspect than the 3 programs mentioned as his leader, the school itself is a worse academic institution, less racially diverse (if that matters to him)...it’s also not like the other schools are extremely far either.

I’m not saying that its impossible that you land him, but people on this board acting as if it’s likely are simply being homers and clearly aren’t plugged in to whats being reported on this kids recruitment.

Or maybe the national analysts are stuck in an echo chamber and just repeating each other.

I'll ignore your condescending BS analogy, "Bangbro". Nobody knows where he's going. Who knows, he could pick Xavier. Bottom line, he has a top six, and we are in that top six. Iowa has plenty of advantages here.

And the other schools are pretty far. You think his parents are gonna travel five and a half hours each way to to Bloomington to see all his home games? But they might travel 45 minutes to Iowa City.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I never said IU was going to win the national title next year. I was just saying it makes no sense to make fun of Archie who went 9 and 9 in the conference while sweeping Iowa. When Iowa's established coach went 4 and 14 in the conference.

Wasn't making fun of Miller, just pointing out that it's pretty laughable how cocky IU fans are considering that you won all of sixteen games last season. I never said Iowa had a better season, we didn't. Miller has done well on the recruiting trail, but hasn't proven anything yet at Indiana. We'll see what happens next season.

I’ll give you three reasons. 1) Iowa has been involved in his recruitment longer than any other school in his top 6 2) Iowa provides early opportunity for playing time as they sorely lack athleticism at the PG position and 3) Iowa provides the opportunity to play with guys he is familiar or even already friends with.

You two continue to mention his three supposed leaders as if it is a fact, but still can’t provide a link. The one posted by the poster right before me says that those three schools are in great shape, but don’t specifically mention them as leaders, and certainly not “in that order” like SIhoosier claimed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT