ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Which team wins the B1G West? 47% of You picked IOWA, 40% Wisconsin, 5% Purdue, 4% Nebraska, 3% Minnesota, 1% Northwestern. Poll closed Oct 24

Which team wins the B1G West?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think that based on returning talent it’s Iowa’s to lose. But I said the same thing last year as well.

More people voted for Purdue than Minnesota? Don't get me wrong, I doubt either one of them wins the B1G West, but Minnesota at least has some chance. Purdon't has.........well..........none

Good. Hope your coaches and players feel just the same. Purdue fans know that after 4 games last year we were playing without a potential first round draft pick defensive tackle, a probable first or second team All Big Ten linebacker who is now playing in the NFL, the nation’s leading passer after three games who was also our only experienced QB the first freshman consensus All American in modern Big Ten history in WR Rondale Moore, our two most experienced RB’s, and 4-5 other players counted on to provide quality depth. Not one of those players played another down last year. I have seldom, in my 74 years of watching BT football seen a season where unprecedented factors could very well bring about the most unpredictable results in my lifetime!

Good. Hope your coaches and players feel just the same. Purdue fans know that after 4 games last year we were playing without a potential first round draft pick defensive tackle, a probable first or second team All Big Ten linebacker who is now playing in the NFL, the nation’s leading passer after three games who was also our only experienced QB the first freshman consensus All American in modern Big Ten history in WR Rondale Moore, our two most experienced RB’s, and 4-5 other players counted on to provide quality depth. Not one of those players played another down last year. I have seldom, in my 74 years of watching BT football seen a season where unprecedented factors could very well bring about the most unpredictable results in my lifetime!

Wow...so you guys are unbeatable then? You did get cake crossovers, so there's that.....

More people voted for Purdue than Minnesota? Don't get me wrong, I doubt either one of them wins the B1G West, but Minnesota at least has some chance. Purdon't has.........well..........none
Not sure i agree. Minny lost a lot. Purdue returns everyone. Why can't they make a step similar to minny last year. Also, was Minnys record a fluke? 7-1 in one possession games isn't repeatable.

Not sure i agree. Minny lost a lot. Purdue returns everyone. Why can't they make a step similar to minny last year. Also, was Minnys record a fluke? 7-1 in one possession games isn't repeatable.
Purdue will be interesting. Too many question marks for me to decide where you are.

Will the NFL linebacker, or the nations leading passer after 3 games last season be playing against the Hawkeyes on Oct. 24, or will the Boilers be playing without both of them once again?

I'm not sure Purdue returns quite everyone, but some of their returnees didn't perform very well in 2019. OL would be a prime example, where the Boilers return plenty of bodies that contributed to Purdue finishing dead last in the Big Ten and No. 126 nationally with an average of 83.25 rushing yards per game in 2019. The Boilers also ranked 126th with an average of 2.92 yards per carry.

On the other side of the ball, the Boilers look like they have some talent and depth at DL, but not much of either at LB (in particular) or DB (to a leasser extent).

So from what I see, the Boilers have outstanding talent at WR, decent talent on the DL, and lots of holes elsewhere.

I'm not sure Purdue returns quite everyone, but some of their returnees didn't perform very well in 2019. OL would be a prime example, where the Boilers return plenty of bodies that contributed to Purdue finishing dead last in the Big Ten and No. 126 nationally with an average of 83.25 rushing yards per game in 2019. The Boilers also ranked 126th with an average of 2.92 yards per carry.

On the other side of the ball, the Boilers look like they have some talent and depth at DL, but not much of either at LB (in particular) or DB (to a leasser extent).

So from what I see, the Boilers have outstanding talent at WR, above average talent and depth on the DL, and lots of holes elsewhere.

I already said that I doubt Minny wins the B1G West.

So from what I see, the Boilers have outstanding talent at WR, decent talent on the DL, and lots of holes elsewhere.
Purdue lost their #1 QB and TE. Their #1 LB and a safety that was playing because a freshman was hurt. They were stupid young last year. Thats why the online struggled, but got better as the year went on. The dline should be one of the best in the big ten. The secondary actually has a ton of depth. Last year, started 2 freshman. The offense returns 9 starters i believe. 7 if them are underclassmen. No reason to think this team can't make a big jump. There are definitely questions though.

Purdue lost their #1 QB and TE. Their #1 LB and a safety that was playing because a freshman was hurt. They were stupid young last year. Thats why the online struggled, but got better as the year went on. The dline should be one of the best in the big ten. The secondary actually has a ton of depth. Last year, started 2 freshman. The offense returns 9 starters i believe. 7 if them are underclassmen. No reason to think this team can't make a big jump. There are definitely questions though.

This is definitely the time of year for eternal optimism :D

This is definitely the time of year for eternal optimism :D
What did I say was wrong. Purdue has a potential 1st round pick at DE and a DT who was a 1st round pick by some projections before his ACL injury. They are super young and could easily take a jump to 5-6 wins with their schedule.

What did I say was wrong. Purdue has a potential 1st round pick at DE and a DT who was a 1st round pick by some projections before his ACL injury. They are super young and could easily take a jump to 5-6 wins with their schedule.

Among the things you said that was wrong is that the Boiler OL played poorly because they had an injured LB, QB and TE. Everybody experiences injuries, Purdue may have experienced more than normal last year, but the LB injury has nothing to do with OL play, and the QB and TE injuries only indirectly.

I don't have anything against the Boilers, but I'd be surprised if they finished above 4th in the B1G West, and if it wasn't for Nebraska's brutal schedule, I'd downgrade that to 5th.An even lower finish is certainly feasible.

What I took exception to was the notion that Purdue might win the division. I increasingly suspect those votes came from posters like yourself. It's fine to hope your team does well. It's not reasonable to expect they'll be playing for a B1G championship on Dec. 19.

Among the things you said that was wrong is that the Boiler OL played poorly because they had an injured LB, QB and TE. Everybody experiences injuries, Purdue may have experienced more than normal last year, but the LB injury has nothing to do with OL play, and the QB and TE injuries only indirectly.

I don't have anything against the Boilers, but I'd be surprised if they finished above 4th in the B1G West, and if it wasn't for Nebraska's brutal schedule, I'd downgrade that to 5th.An even lower finish is certainly feasible.

What I took exception to was the notion that Purdue might win the division. I increasingly suspect those votes came from posters like yourself. It's fine to hope your team does well. It's not reasonable to expect they'll be playing for a B1G championship on Dec. 19.
I actually voted Wisconsin. I addressed the oline though. They got better as the year went on and weren't actually bad to end the year. No reason they can't take a step forward with more size and experience. I'm not concerned about the oline being bad. At worst, they are average. Which is better than last year and good enough.

The OL will be just fine. Two deep for the first time in years. Four started the last four games of last season. Gained 587 yards against Indiana in season finale including 186 yards rushing. That was the third highest total the Hoosiers gave up in 2019. At one point last season 19 stright touchdowns were scored by freshmen. Youth, even if talented is scary, but youth with talent AND experience is cause for optimism.

I voted Wisconsin until Iowa proves otherwise.
exactly, as I have mentioned before Wisconsin owns the West until we take the crown. They have pretty much made Indy Camp Randall East with how often they play there...

I actually voted Wisconsin. I addressed the oline though. They got better as the year went on and weren't actually bad to end the year. No reason they can't take a step forward with more size and experience. I'm not concerned about the oline being bad. At worst, they are average. Which is better than last year and good enough.
Just an average o-line is not good enough. The best teams always have good to great o-lines.

Just an average o-line is not good enough. The best teams always have good to great o-lines.
Brohm has won 7, 6, and 4, with 5 losses on the last possession of the game (stat i read somewhere, not totally sure if true, but I can think of a few) over the last 2 years with a bad to average oline. My prediction is this is Brohms best line yet. Most experienced line for sure.

EiSSYlDWkAcwSHo

What kind of Iowa fan are you that you would take WISCONSIN?!?!

Until Iowa closes the gap coaching wise, its Wisconsin’s to lose. Iowa is so outcoached against Wisconsin, it isn’t even funny. That’s the real mismatch in this series

Reactions: badger-007
Leistikow: Predicting the records for every Big Ten football team in 2020
Chad Leistikow
Hawk Central

Big Ten West

1. Iowa

Crossovers: Michigan State (home), Penn State (road)

Why No. 1? New quarterback Spencer Petras is surrounded by talent on offense, with perhaps the program’s best offensive line in years and the best group of wide receivers in the Kirk Ferentz era. Starting 3-0 against a manageable early schedule (at Purdue, vs. Northwestern, vs. Michigan State) is essential to starting a division-winning march. There will be a drop-off from last year’s top-five national defense. Generating a pass rush is defensive coordinator Phil Parker’s biggest challenge, but he’s got excellent cornerbacks that should help contain the West’s flying fleet of receivers.

Final thought: There isn’t one easy win on the schedule, so buckle up for a tense eight-game ride. Ferentz’s best teams win a lot of close games.

Predicted record: 6-2

2. Wisconsin
Crossovers: Michigan (road), Indiana (home)

Why No. 2? Foot surgery for starting quarterback Jack Coan leaves the reins in the hands of promising-but-untested Graham Mertz. He won’t have the kind of weapons that Coan had a year ago, with running back Jonathan Taylor and receiver Quintez Cephus gone to the NFL. The Badgers’ defense should be terrific, and you know the offensive line will be good. That's a good formula for a lot of cold-weather games.

Final thought: Unless Iowa is 6-1 or better entering the final week, it’s going to need the Badgers to stumble along the way. A Week 4 matchup at Michigan is Wisconsin's toughest test.

Predicted record: 6-2

3. Minnesota
Crossovers: Michigan (home), Maryland (road)

Why No. 3? P.J. Fleck’s offense could be dynamic, especially with top receiver Rashod Bateman opting back in once the Big Ten season was revived. A veteran offensive line and returning trigger man in Tanner Morgan should smooth the transition to a new offensive coordinator. Defense and the kicking game are question marks.

Final thought: Will a passing offense hold up in the December cold? The Gophers must learn what it’s like to be the hunted after an 11-2 season.

Predicted record: 5-3

T-4. Nebraska
Crossovers: Ohio State (road), Penn State (home)

Why tied for No. 4? A brutal schedule and continued questions on defense will hold the Huskers back. Nebraska has been stock-piling talent under Scott Frost, but still might be a year away. If quarterback Adrian Martinez returns to his 2018 form, Nebraska can beat almost anybody. If he doesn’t, look for Luke McCaffrey (Christian’s younger brother) to run the show.

Final thought: It’s hard to find more than three wins on the schedule, but I do think Nebraska upends a highly ranked team this season. (I’ve got that team being Minnesota, in the season finale.)

Predicted record: 3-5

T-4. Northwestern
Crossovers: Maryland (home), Michigan State (road)

Why tied for No. 4? The Wildcats’ biggest weakness a year ago (quarterback) has been strengthened by the addition of proven Indiana transfer Peyton Ramsey. The always-tough Pat Fitzgerald defense (led by linebackers Paddy Fisher and Blake Gallagher) makes Northwestern a pesky out. Mike Bajakian arrives from Boston College to take over for longtime offensive coordinator Mick McCall; his hallmarks are a strong running game and ball security.

Final thought: Northwestern is weak at the outside skill positions but has a generous schedule and could be a dark horse pick in the West.

T-4. Purdue
Crossovers: Rutgers (home), Indiana (road)

Why tied for No. 4? Purdue has three of the Big Ten’s most impressive players in receivers Rondale Moore and David Bell and defensive end George Karlaftis ... but not much else. Jeff Brohm has three options at quarterback and may rotate a few Oct. 24 vs. Iowa as he searches for a hot hand. Former Hawkeye Bobby Diaco is Purdue’s new defensive coordinator.

Final thought: Brohm needs to prove he’s worth the rich contract he signed in November 2018 to keep him away from Louisville; he is 6-12 since the emotional “Tyler Trent game,” a 49-20 dismantling of Ohio State.

7. Illinois
Crossovers: Rutgers (road), Ohio State (home)

Why No. 7? There’s a lot to like about Lovie Smith’s team, but overall the West is so balanced that every win will be difficult to obtain. The offensive line, tight ends and steady leadership of quarterback Brandon Peters are strengths. Last season’s Redbox Bowl trip provides program-wide encouragement.

Final thought: It’s fun that the Big Ten kicks off on Friday night, Oct. 23, with a rematch of Illinois’ 24-23 stunning upset of Wisconsin.

Predicted record: 2-6

Projected 'Champions week' matchups

The Big Ten said it would shy away from rematches, but there was (Michigan vs Minnesota) one I couldn't avoid.

First place: Ohio State (9-0 final record) defeats Iowa (6-3).

Second place: Wisconsin (7-2) defeats Penn State (7-2).

Third place, a REMATCH: Michigan (6-3) defeats Minnesota (5-4). This would be a rematch of the Week 1 match up.

Fourth place: Northwestern (4-5) defeats Indiana (3-6).

Fifth place: Purdue (4-5) defeats Michigan State (3-6).

Sixth place: Nebraska (4-5) defeats Rutgers (1-8).

Seventh place: Illinois (3-6) defeats Maryland (1-8).

Last edited:
This year, more than other years, defense and offensive lines will determine the West champion. . Half of the games played will be in late November and December. How teams can run the ball and stop the run is always important but will be magnified this year.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT