ADVERTISEMENT

Voting in White vs Black neighborhoods

Just because a state allows mail-in voting in some form does not mean it is available to the majority of the populace. For instance, Texas only allows mail-in voting if you are 65+ years old or disabled.
Or if you’re in jail. Or if you’re sick. Or if you’re pregnant and your due date falls between three weeks before and three weeks after election day. Or if you are going to be out of your county of residence on election day.
They have also banned a number of voting methods that the blue counties tried to adopt in recent years to make voting easier (such as 24-hour polling locations).
24 hour polling seems a bit excessive to me.
They even tried to ban voting before 1 PM on Sundays before having to walk that proposal back due to all the backlash they received.
So even if they had gotten their way, early voting sites would be open for at least a few hours on Sundays.

Texas has a 12-day early voting period. Every registered voter is permitted to vote during this period. This seems like a pretty good example of what I was talking about before when I said that Republicans might not be 100% in lockstep with Dems on the details, but most of them want some form of early voting.

I’ve been waiting longer.

But since you and I both know there’s not a chance in hell that JP is going to back up his claim, I’ll go ahead and respond to your post while JP ponders which direction to move the goalposts.

If it was up to Donald Trump, he would probably limit voting to in-person on election day. But it’s not up to him. It’s up to each of the state legislatures across the country. And the vast majority of them - even the ones dominated by Republicans - give voters the option to vote early in person or by mail.

When Hoosier said that “the right” wants to limit voting to election day, it implied that it’s the prevailing opinion, that a significant percentage want it that way. And that’s simply not the case. For all his inexplicable power over the GOP, there are still some issues on which most Republicans differ from Trump. And this happens to be one of them.

Republicans might not agree exactly with Democrats on how to implement early voting, but most do support it in some capacity.

Building a wall on the southern border used to be an extreme position on the right. Now it's the prevailing opinion. No reason to think that their views on this won't change. Especially if they lose again.

Republicans have recently reacted to losing not by changing their message or how they deliver their message but by enacting new "voting security laws"

Also the reason they wanted to make it illegal to give people water while they are waiting in line on election day.

The long waits in black neighborhoods are intentional.

"State does not offer early voting or excuse is required"

So, we’ve come down from “many” states not offering an early voting option to potentially three. Let’s dig deeper, Joe. What exactly are the protocols for voting early in Alabama, Mississippi and New Hampshire?

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Others offer early voting, but ONLY to specific groups, as has already been noted for you in the thread.

Keep going, Joe. Which groups specifically in which states? Point out how blacks are excluded. By the way, voting absentee in Alabama or Mississippi, the hotbed of “racism,” is as simple as filling out an application and stating you won’t be in your home county on election day. Or, you’re sick. Or you’re working. Not at all difficult.

Keep going, Joe. Which groups specifically in which states?
Texas was already pointed out to you.

You have Google on your computer to identify more voting issues for minorities, etc.
It's not a secret that the GOP wants to suppress and gerrymander that vote. If that's bothersome to you, do not give them your vote, anywhere, until they support fully democratic voting and representation.

Reactions: cohawk
Or if you’re in jail. Or if you’re sick. Or if you’re pregnant and your due date falls between three weeks before and three weeks after election day. Or if you are going to be out of your county of residence on election day.

24 hour polling seems a bit excessive to me.

So even if they had gotten their way, early voting sites would be open for at least a few hours on Sundays.

Texas has a 12-day early voting period. Every registered voter is permitted to vote during this period. This seems like a pretty good example of what I was talking about before when I said that Republicans might not be 100% in lockstep with Dems on the details, but most of them want some form of early voting.
“Might not be 100% in lockstep” is an interesting way of acknowledging that one party keeps trying to limit or restrict peoples’ ability or access to vote.

If a county with 5 million people thinks it is a good idea to offer 24-hour voting the last day of early voting, why shouldn’t they be able to offer it? Because people like you find it “excessive?”

Last edited:
Texas was already pointed out to you.
It has already been pointed out to you that Texas only limits who can vote by mail. Every voter is entitled to vote early in person, which lasts for 12 days.
You have Google on your computer to identify more voting issues for minorities, etc.
It's not a secret that the GOP wants to suppress and gerrymander that vote. If that's bothersome to you, do not give them your vote, anywhere, until they support fully democratic voting and representation.
And the mobile goalposts make their first appearance.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Building a wall on the southern border used to be an extreme position on the right. Now it's the prevailing opinion. No reason to think that their views on this won't change. Especially if they lose again.
Building a wall on the southern border used to be a bipartisan opinion. The Clinton administration built walls along the border as part of an effort to curb the flow of illegal drugs into our country. Look up Operation Gatekeeper, Operation Safeguard, and Operation Hold the Line.

Building a wall on the southern border used to be a bipartisan opinion. The Clinton administration built walls along the border as part of an effort to curb the flow of illegal drugs into our country. Look up Operation Gatekeeper, Operation Safeguard, and Operation Hold the Line.

Walls in certain locations yes. The right wants a 2000 mile long wall across the entire southern border. That was an extremist opinion until recently.

Walls in certain locations yes. The right wants a 2000 mile long wall across the entire southern border. That was an extremist opinion until recently.
So you’re changing your statement from “‘the right’ wants to limit voting to in person on election day” to “it’s entirely possible that at some point in the future ‘the right’ will want to limit voting to in person on election day.”

Got it.

It has already been pointed out to you that Texas only limits who can vote by mail.

And some folks cannot vote "in person".

It's why Texas targets them and suppresses their vote.
Meanwhile, Oregon has done 100% "mail in" ballots for a couple decades.

Colorado mails out ballots to anyone who requests them. Because it's super-easy and super-secure.

• Haha
That’s a separate issue. The video you posted in the OP highlighted people who were stuck in long lines at the polls on election day.

Try to keep up here because it gets a little complicated. All of those people waiting in long lines at the polls were voting “in person”.

Are you claiming those people were able to make it to the polls on election day but not on any of the 12 days during the early voting period?

So, just to reiterate the OP before things get too fragmented, early voting is available to anyone in Tennessee. And it’s not hard to do. But, supposedly the posted video shows an example of racism in Tennessee’s voting system.
Yeah that was my question - what about this is racism in action?

It's why Texas targets them and suppresses their vote.
Meanwhile, Oregon has done 100% "mail in" ballots for a couple decades.

Colorado mails out ballots to anyone who requests them. Because it's super-easy and super-secure.
Because NOTHING has ever been lost in the mail before...

That’s a separate issue. The video you posted in the OP highlighted people who were stuck in long lines at the polls on election day.

Try to keep up here because it gets a little complicated. All of those people waiting in long lines at the polls were voting “in person”.

Are you claiming those people were able to make it to the polls on election day but not on any of the 12 days during the early voting period?
He's claiming black people are too dumb to get an ID... so they gotta be way too dumb to vote sometime in the 2 weeks leading up to election day.

Well, yeah, but the state of Texas won’t allow Houston to have 24 hour voting anymore.
Why not? That's idiotic. Why would that matter? If someone is registered to vote, who cares if they vote at 2:00 a.m.? This is just a way of making voting difficult in large cities.

Reactions: This_Hawk_Abides
No on has claimed black people are too dumb. Not one.
I'm implied. They can't figure out how to get a photo ID... can't figure out how to early vote... can't figure out to request an absentee ballot. It's really amazing they can function at all.

I'm implied. They can't figure out how to get a photo ID... can't figure out how to early vote... can't figure out to request an absentee ballot. It's really amazing they can function at all.

Well, we heard about black youth in NYC not having any knowledge of computers. You’re right. How do they function at all? There’s certainly no racism in that line of thinking from the left. No way.

Why not? That's idiotic. Why would that matter? If someone is registered to vote, who cares if they vote at 2:00 a.m.? This is just a way of making voting difficult in large cities.
The new law allows the polls to stay open from 6:00am to 10:00pm. I happen to think that’s perfectly reasonable.

But that’s really not the issue here. We can debate for eternity whether or not 16 hours on the final day of early voting is sufficient. The bottom line in this particular discussion is that it does absolutely nothing to support JP’s bullshit claim that “many” Republican states have eliminated all early voting options.

Because NOTHING has ever been lost in the mail before...

My county notifies me when my ballot is sent out.
I can choose text message or email for that notification.

If my ballot is lost, I can request a new one by email, and they will send it immediately.
Or, I can go pick it up.

Old ballot becomes useless.

I do not "mail" the ballot it; I drop it off at the local drop-box, where everyone else drops off their ballots.
Easy-peasy and secure.

They also notify me when the ballot is received AND when it is accepted/verified via my signature on file.

My county notifies me when my ballot is sent out.
I can choose text message or email for that notification.

If my ballot is lost, I can request a new one by email, and they will send it immediately.
Or, I can go pick it up.

Old ballot becomes useless.

I do not "mail" the ballot it; I drop it off at the local drop-box, where everyone else drops off their ballots.
Easy-peasy and secure.

They also notify me when the ballot is received AND when it is accepted/verified via my signature on file.
CSB

That's the ACTUAL issue.
Then post a video that addresses that issue. Because the video you posted specifically addresses the issue of long lines at the polls in Black neighborhoods.

You are literally complaining that some people are unable to go to the polls by showing video of people waiting in line at the polls.

So, just to reiterate the OP before things get too fragmented, early voting is available to anyone in Tennessee. And it’s not hard to do. But, supposedly the posted video shows an example of racism in Tennessee’s voting system.

But that early voter engagement, in part fuelled by the COVID-19 pandemic, has also led to new challenges, as long lines and hours-long waits were reported at polling sites in Georgia, Texas, North Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana and Ohio, among other states.

Weird, how every one of those is a GOP-run state.

Have they corrected these issues since 2020?
That is the point

• Haha

But that early voter engagement, in part fuelled by the COVID-19 pandemic, has also led to new challenges, as long lines and hours-long waits were reported at polling sites in Georgia, Texas, North Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana and Ohio, among other states.

That is the point
I don't think the al jazeera article makes a connection this is 'racist', or trying to suppress minority voting.

I do think its very odd Ohio only has one early voting location per county.

Almost as weird as the fact that your source chose to cherry-pick a few red states as though the problems were limited to GOP-controlled locations.

Long lines and lengthy delays were common across the country. We were in the midst of a global pandemic. Unprecedented early voting turnout, fueled in part by Democratic leaders urging people to vote early, coupled with staffing shortages and enhanced cleaning requirements caused by COVID, conspired to create long lines in many states, including deep blue ones.

That is the point

Keep dancing, Joe.

Lots of minorities can’t afford cell phones or internet access. Your system is racist.

Systemic issues actually do deprive them of liberties that you take for granted.

Many are unaware of their state's laws and early voting, simply because they do not have information access at their fingertips like you do.

Almost as weird as the fact that your source chose to cherry-pick a few red states as though the problems were limited to GOP-controlled locations.
They are predominantly in GOP-controlled states.
By design.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT