ADVERTISEMENT

W/L Predictions?

?

• Total voters
9-3

tOSU is a loss. They're the class of the conference. We could win all the rest, but we've leaned on the D too much. Look at all the 1 possession games the last couple of years. We're going to lose a couple of those. Nebraska is the mostly likely 2nd loss followed by Wisconsin and UCLA.

I think people underestimate just how much this team was bailed out by the ST and D last year.

Ceiling: 11-1 (doubtful, we can't rely on the D every week) lose to tOSU
Floor: 8-4 lose to tOSU, ISU, Wisc, Nebbie
We OWN lil debby

Vegas thinks ISU is favored on a neutral field.
Not necessarily true.

I've been seeing Iowa-2.5 all summer.

Most commonly, if Vegas views the two teams as equal, the home team will be favored by 3. This is why you've made the interpretation that you have.

But with lower scoring teams, the computer's interpretation of two equal teams can be home-2.5. ISU can put up points in the Big12, but often their games against Iowa are lower scoring, where both teams are commonly kicking FGs.

In games with two high scoring equal teams you can see home-3.5.

Expected betting action gets baked into the lines too, although not with a summer line, as there hasn't been any betting data from the season yet accumulated.

At this point Iowa-2.5 is a computer line. This is the case with summer lines, as Vegas doesn't yet have their intel on the streets of college towns, and the look-ahead games aren't drawing heavy action. There's a good chance once the season starts this game will move to at least Iowa-3. At this point the computer isn't able to quantify how much of a difference Iowa's new OC will make. Therefore, it moreso has to trust its recent data that Iowa has been a low scoring team

While there is reason to hope on offense, it's still just that. To expect the D to turn in another performance during the regular season like they did last year is unrealistic.
D will almost surely be really good. Offense will likely be better. Just don't think it will come together enough to get them to double digit regular season wins.

While there is reason to hope on offense, it's still just that. To expect the D to turn in another performance during the regular season like they did last year is unrealistic.
D will almost surely be really good. Offense will likely be better. Just don't think it will come together enough to get them to double digit regular season wins.
We got to double digit wins last season with the worst offense in fbs. 10 wins should be the floor this season.

I put 8-4

I don’t trust Kirk. He’s not a good game day coach. Phil bails him out as well as some of the flukiest / luckiest games you’ll ever see happen under Kirk

I’m not sure how else you explain the stats of every other team that produces the same stat line for offense yards is like a combined 8-3,503….and 7 of those wins are Iowa haha

The defense should be salty again, but we’ve got a lot of unknowns. We lost the best punter, and our best player in Coop….theres going to be some drop off

And on offense….we have no idea what to expect other than the hope it cannot possibly be worse.

If the offense struggles, especially with turnovers….expect Kirk to revert to shrinking the playbook back down to 3 plays

I put 8-4

I don’t trust Kirk. He’s not a good game day coach. Phil bails him out as well as some of the flukiest / luckiest games you’ll ever see happen under Kirk

I’m not sure how else you explain the stats of every other team that produces the same stat line for offense yards is like a combined 8-3,503….and 7 of those wins are Iowa haha

The defense should be salty again, but we’ve got a lot of unknowns. We lost the best punter, and our best player in Coop….theres going to be some drop off

And on offense….we have no idea what to expect other than the hope it cannot possibly be worse.

If the offense struggles, especially with turnovers….expect Kirk to revert to shrinking the playbook back down to 3 plays
Lol. Try again

New year, new coordinator. There are so many questions our offense, it's hard to tell how exactly things will go this year. We're favored in all but one of our games. We went 10-2 last year, and one of those losses was a fluke, with the worst offense in Iowa history. We return a huge amount of starters on both sides of the ball, and things really can't get any worse offensively.

Cade and Sullivan are immensely huge upgrades to Deacon, our offensive line may be the most experienced in the Ferentz era, and we retained all of our running backs. Tim Lester seems like a smart and experienced coach, he was able to turn around other program's dreadful offenses, so why not Iowa's? As for the defense, what else is there to say? It's a Phil Parker defense, and we'll be just fine.

With that in mind, I see us dropping one stupid game, possibly two. Iowa State, Michigan State, Washington, and Wisconsin are the iffy games for me.

Illinois State - W: I see this as a statement game for Tim Lester and the offense. They'll run up the score and get as much reps as possible against the worst team on the schedule.

Iowa State - For some reason, I keep seeing predictions that Iowa State will win this game handily. I personally don't see Iowa State being as good as everyone says they are. It's still in Kinnick under a Phil Parker defense. This will be a close, ugly game.

Troy - W

Minnesota - W: Revenge game. Minnesota has been the quietest team in the B1G in the off-season. They have nothing going on. If we head into this game 3-0, with our offense starting to gel, I see this as a solid win.

Ohio State - L: No one is beating OSU this year. They have the best team money can buy. Ryan Day was given a blank check and was told to beat Michigan and get a National Title. Any less than that and he's probably gone. I can only hope we put up a fight, especially for Playoff purposes later in the season.

Washington - Washington has to be the biggest question mark on our schedule. They lost practically everyone, from players to coaches. This is a team rebuilding their identity. Iowa has to win this one. Hopefully it's a night game with a nice chill in the air.

Michigan State - This one is tricky, in my opinion. Michigan State was not a good team last year, but it took a Cooper Dejean 4th Quarter miracle to beat them. They're still trying to rebuild, but with this being in East Lansing, I can see this as being one of the stupid games we drop, despite being an objectively better team.

Northwestern - W

Wisconsin - W: The only success Wisky had against us last year was when they were running the ball. They kept abandoning it, which is why I think we won the game. They no longer have their excellent RB, so I think they'll stick to the pass even more this year. Despite us not having Coop in the secondary, Kinnick Magic will do its thing and we'll win another ugly game against the stinkin' badgers.

UCLA - W: This is another tricky game, because the west coast is Iowa's kryptonite. UCLA by this point in the season will likely be done, because they are a bad team. If we play a fundamentally sound game and win the turnover/takeaway battle, this should be a solid win.

Maryland - W: This is another team people are high on, and I can't figure out why. They just lost their entire identity, Tagovailoa, who was their QB for what felt like a decade. I don't think Maryland has anything going for them. The only advantage they have is Iowa will be travelling from the West Coast to the East coast in the span of a week.

Little debbie - W: **** Nebraska, I'd rather die than predict we lose to those cocksuckers.

Floor: 9-3
Ceiling: 11-1
Good analysis, altho I don’t think Washington, with all their player and coaching changes, can hang with Iowa in Kinnick.

The one thing that gives me pause is that every iowa team that has ended up with 10 or more wins had a bona-fide dominant star on it. usually a punter or db but not unusual to also have a outstanding lb, DL, OL, or TE. This year we seem overall decent but is there a single guy who can dominate his position.
Lachey, Castro, Higgins, Graves, Black, Nwankpa, granted most potential stars are on the defensive side where we expect to be very good again.

Hopefully our QB delivers now that he’s healthy. Probably not a superstar but I will be pretty happy about average.

Last edited:
Lol. Try again
I notice you haven't made a prediction. Scared to go on record?

If there has been no improvement in the offense, I would guess 7-5, 8-4. But I am optimistic there WILL be improvement. When (not if, but I hope I'm wrong) McNamara goes down with an injury it appears we will have a capable backup in Sullivan. So I'll say 9-3.

I notice you haven't made a prediction. Scared to go on record?

If there has been no improvement in the offense, I would guess 7-5, 8-4. But I am optimistic there WILL be improvement. When (not if, but I hope I'm wrong) McNamara goes down with an injury it appears we will have a capable backup in Sullivan. So I'll say 9-3.
I've already posted on this board that I have a large wager on over 7.5 wins.

Beyond that I hope Iowa can win as many as possible.

Putting money down is going on record enough for me

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk

Well, I have money on the over, too.

But you won’t go on record of making a prediction so you can come back later and make fun of everyone who predicted less wins than they actually get. I know your type.

Be a man and go on record with what you think the record will be.

Well, I have money on the over, too.

But you won’t go on record of making a prediction so you can come back later and make fun of everyone who predicted less wins than they actually get. I know your type.

Be a man and go on record with what you think the record will be.
What does any of what you said have to do with whether I make a prediction or not? I'm going to call out idiot and disrespectful fans regardless.

A prediction on this board means very little to me compared to the money I've wagered. That's what a real man does, is put his money where his mouth is.

I hope Iowa wins all of their games. I really don't like to put any number of losses into the atmosphere because I'm trying to will an undefeated season with all my might. But since you insist, I'll go with 10-2 or 11-1 and instantly trick myself that I didn't say that

Last edited:
What does any of what you said have to do with whether I make a prediction or not? I'm going to call out idiot and disrespectful fans regardless.

A prediction on this board means very little to me compared to the money I've wagered. That's what a real man does, is put his money where his mouth is.

I hope Iowa wins all of their games. I really don't like to put any number of losses into the atmosphere because I'm trying to will an undefeated season with all my might. But since you insist, I'll go with 10-2 or 11-1 and instantly trick myself that I didn't say that
Well good for you. I didn’t think you had it in you.

Didn’t you slam my post for saying 8-4 ? If you’ve got a large bet on over 7.5….8 wins makes you very happy

Reading up on the open practice threads, we still have a major issue at QB and WR.

Every single year we hear “defense is ahead of the offense” as the excuse for zero competency from the offense at these open practices.

And every year what we see at kids day is what we see in the regular season.

I’m trying to think of the last time we had a player really stand out….Derrick Willies ?? And he barely played

Proof will be in the pudding. Lester says the right things. Kirk always says the same things.

But if Iowa can’t find something on offense, then it’s another year of watching the defense and hoping for pick 6 or fumble returns for scores

Reactions: amahawk and 83Hawk
Didn’t you slam my post for saying 8-4 ? If you’ve got a large bet on over 7.5….8 wins makes you very happy

Reading up on the open practice threads, we still have a major issue at QB and WR.

Every single year we hear “defense is ahead of the offense” as the excuse for zero competency from the offense at these open practices.

And every year what we see at kids day is what we see in the regular season.

I’m trying to think of the last time we had a player really stand out….Derrick Willies ?? And he barely played

Proof will be in the pudding. Lester says the right things. Kirk always says the same things.

But if Iowa can’t find something on offense, then it’s another year of watching the defense and hoping for pick 6 or fumble returns for scores
I put 8-4

Sure 8 would win my bet. But as a fan, I would be pretty disappointed with 8-4 this season.

My contention was with most of the content of your post.

You don't trust Kirk? Lol. What's it going to take another 25 years to earn it.

Iowa's staff has been known for great halftime adjustments since KF has been there.

There was nothing lucky or flukey about the wins. I won quite a bit of money betting Iowa money lines (just to win the games). Gamblers look for reliability in predictability. Good defense and special teams are the most reliable and predictable things in football. The defense wasn't bailing anybody out. It was the planned path to victory all along and it's very predictable and repeatable.

The stat differential you quoted is very easy to explain. Those other teams didn't have excellent defenses and special teams.

I'm not worried about Dakin. Sure he may have some growing pains, as a true freshman. But he has an electric leg by all accounts.

Shrinking the playbook to three plays is quite an exaggeration. But that's what happens with a backup QB. Welcome to football.

As for your latest post, if Iowa can't find anything on offense, it will be probably be the 9 wins they have averaged the last two seasons with the worst offense in the country. And it's a certainty that fans will once again make far too big of a deal about it because their selfish entertainment needs aren't being met🤣 What's it matter if Iowa's defense returns INT's and fumbles for TD's? Those points count too

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT