ADVERTISEMENT

Wadley GOAT Iowa RB?

Wadley already has more TDs (receiving + rushing) than everyone on your list except Tavian, and has more yards than the majority of them with a better yards per carry average.

If Wadley would have played in the 1960's, you'd probably have him ranked as the best of all time.

Dennis Mosely had a QB that didn't throw for 1,000 yards in a season and a line that was nothing like now.

Tough list
1.a Tavian Banks
1.b Shonn Greene
1.c Sedrick Shaw
hard to separate these three, if Greene was more of a pass catching threat he'd be #1.

After that I'd group
Harmon
Wadley
Ladell Betts (oft forgotten as he played on bad teams, but a great RB)

-Fred Russell was great, but his success was more about the O Line he ran behind.
-Gotta throw Ed Podolak in there too.
-to make it an even 10, I'd add Albert Young and Damien Simms..what a great 1-2 punch.

Reactions: Cardsnhawks
Dennis Mosely had a QB that didn't throw for 1,000 yards in a season and a line that was nothing like now.

So what's your rationale as to why he was better than Wadley? Purely based on your subjective observation?

Mosley was drafted in the 9th round but never made it onto an NFL roster. I'd be willing to bet a substantial amount of money that NFL scouts value Wadley much higher than that.

I will concede that I am too young to have seen Mosley play, so I can't speak from experience. But given Mosley's stats, lack of NFL experience, and the fact that you don't know how to spell his last name (FYI, it's "Mosley" not "Mosely"), I find your evaluation highly suspect.

So what's your rationale as to why he was better than Wadley? Purely based on your subjective observation?

Mosley was drafted in the 9th round but never made it onto an NFL roster. I'd be willing to bet a substantial amount of money that NFL scouts value Wadley much higher than that.

I will concede that I am too young to have seen Mosley play, so I can't speak from experience. But given Mosley's stats, lack of NFL experience, and the fact that you don't know how to spell his last name (FYI, it's "Mosley" not "Mosely"), I find your evaluation highly suspect.

Mose was great, but I don't think he's top 10.

Tavian could run, no doubt...like the wind. But he wasn't big after contact. Harmon is a good comparison to AW, but I think Sedrick Shaw may be closer. Sed had that start and stop thing like AW does. He was fun to watch. Shonn Greene was special with a little different skill set.

Name your top 5 running backs of the modern era (Hayden/Kirk) would be tough. Good thread all its own.

Harmon
Greene
Shaw
Banks
Wadley
Betts
Gill
Russell
Young
Coker
Lewis

Where does the Paki-bomb shake out?

For my money Ronnie Harmon was maybe the most talented offensive player Iowa ever had. I never saw Nile K play but RH could and did do it all. He was arguably the most talented receiver on the 85 team.

Shonn Greene had a great '08. Maybe the best single year. I would rank RH first and Sed Shaw #2.

Well I did see them both....Wadley behind much better lines. He just does not seem a complete back to me. too small. Lets see him take an LB in blitz pickup. People on here can only see their eras unfortunately. I misspelled it. Oh well, you got me.

Well I did see them both....Wadley behind much better lines. He just does not seem a complete back to me. too small. Lets see him take an LB in blitz pickup. People on here can only see their eras unfortunately. I misspelled it. Oh well, you got me.

ls it safe to assume you don't think Wadley will play in the NFL? If Mosley really was better, and he didn't make it to the NFL, presumably the only way you could possibly think an inferior running back would make it there is if you believe you are smarter than NFL scouts.

ls it safe to assume you don't think Wadley will play in the NFL? If Mosley really was better, and he didn't make it to the NFL, presumably the only way you could possibly think an inferior running back would make it there is if you believe you are smarter than NFL scouts.

I would not assume anything about it. I dont see him as an every down NFL back though. 3rd down back.

Tavian also could have been a world class soccer player for those that don't know. He was very good at it. If he had gone pro there instead...might have been a better choice.

I know these to are not on the list but Willie Fleming and Bob Jeter on that 58-59 team were pretty good.
Unfortunately most of us weren't around to watch those great players. Didn't Jeter set the all time record for a bowl game by rushing for like 185 yds on less then 10 carries? Not sure if thats still the record, but ridiculous none the less!

According to http://americanfootballdatabase.wikia.com/wiki/1959_Rose_Bowl, four Rose Bowl records were set that day. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Bowl_Game#Game_records, none of them still stand.
I'd prefer a more official source, but I can't find any.
Thanks Dauminator for posting. So wiki says Jeter ran for 194 yds on just 9 carries! Basically 21.5 yds/carry. The record is now 247 yds in 39 carries by Charles White of USC. Thats 6.3 yds/carry. I guess White has the yardage record, but it certainly pales in comparison to what Jeter did.

Reactions: redghost1974
As much as I love SG, he made his living by the O-line and full back clearing the way and trucking DB's. Hands of pure stone though. Lack of top end speed, limited vision, and stone hands doomed him in the NFL. He entered into the NFL as the game had changed, RB have to be some kind of passing threat.

Greene not in the top five, see how this year plays out Wadley top 10 maybe.

Thanks Dauminator for posting. So wiki says Jeter ran for 194 yds on just 9 carries! Basically 21.5 yds/carry. The record is now 247 yds in 39 carries by Charles White of USC. Thats 6.3 yds/carry. I guess White has the yardage record, but it certainly pales in comparison to what Jeter did.
I'd be interested to see the YPC records but I don't see them.

As much as I love SG, he made his living by the O-line and full back clearing the way and trucking DB's. Hands of pure stone though. Lack of top end speed, limited vision, and stone hands doomed him in the NFL. He entered into the NFL as the game had changed, RB have to be some kind of passing threat.

Greene not in the top five, see how this year plays out Wadley top 10 maybe.
What's his NFL career have to do with how good he was here?

Reactions: BEAVERDALEHAWK
He might not have the numbers but I've never seen a hawk move like him. I'm tabbing him as the GOAT and more than likely a 1st round pick next year. Middle 2nd at the worst. He carried the hawks to a W last Saturday and could very well put this team on his back and carry them to a West Division title.
Hey Akrum, please come back to Hawkeye Report. We would appreciate your input.

So many good ones, but for clarification are we talking about career yards? TD's? Receiver out of backfield? Wins? Moves? All the above? Best all around back I've ever seen taking the above into account are Harmon and Wadley.
In no particular order we could argue about:
Greene
Russell
Harmon
Betts
Shaw
Banks
Young
Stewart
Gill
Bell
If you were not alive at the time all these greats played...apparently they don't count and the original poster is considered innocent and not ignorant.

Last edited:
Hey Akrum, please come back to Hawkeye Report. We would appreciate your input.

Which game was it that Akrum Wadley had a top 5 all time college football performance against a top 5 ranked team in terms of All Purpose Yards? I remember the telecast flashing the stats.

Was it the 2016 #3 ranked Michigan game?
Or was it the 2017 #4 ranked PSU game?

Which game was it that Akrum Wadley had a top 5 all time college football performance against a top 5 ranked team in terms of All Purpose Yards? I remember the telecast flashing the stats.

Was it the 2016 #3 ranked Michigan game?
Or was it the 2017 #4 ranked PSU game?

All-time top 5 performance in college football history?

I believe your memory is off.

He might not have the numbers but I've never seen a hawk move like him. I'm tabbing him as the GOAT and more than likely a 1st round pick next year. Middle 2nd at the worst. He carried the hawks to a W last Saturday and could very well put this team on his back and carry them to a West Division title.
Laughable.

Nah! Once a Hawkeye always a Hawkeye- until you sue the University over some BS!
And ripping off fans by auctioning off "signed" merchandise and then never sending anything. And making up stories about coaches taking away your meal card -- which doesn't even make sense since they were constantly dogging you to add weight -- and complaining about being yelled for parking in the coaches reserved parking spot when you knew you weren't supposed to park there and deserved a butt chewing for doing so.

Wadley will always be remembered as great on the field and a piece of human garbage off of it because of his antics while in the program and after graduating.

And ripping off fans by auctioning off "signed" merchandise and then never sending anything. And making up stories about coaches taking away your meal card -- which doesn't even make sense since they were constantly dogging you to add weight -- and complaining about being yelled for parking in the coaches reserved parking spot when you knew you weren't supposed to park there and deserved a butt chewing for doing so.

Wadley will always be remembered as great on the field and a piece of human garbage off of it because of his antics while in the program and after graduating.
Wadley's Mom-"And they took away his meal card".

Wadley calling home back in the day-"Mom, they took away my meal card, can you send some cash".

Wadley Reality-I owe my gangster buddies money for Coke, I will call mom and tell her they took away my meal card, see if she will send me some cash.

Once you tell a lie, you have to keep on lying.

Wadley is personally loathsome he was a very good RB for the Hawks. But GOAT????? Not really close.

Obviously stats are the single most important component of determining the best so that already puts AW behind the curve.

Sedrick Shaw and Tavian Banks, who had to share the ball for 3 seasons, were enormously productive and Sedrick was pretty indestructible. They played on winning teams and created laughable blowouts against Iowa State (didn't Tavian hit Iowa St. for like 280 yards once-4 TDs?) Those guys played one fewer game per season yet their places at 1 and 3 have remained steady for 25 and 24 years respectfully

LaDell played on terrible teams for 3 years but put up better numbers every year; LaDell is still number 2 after 20 seasons.

After those three a good argument could be made for the 4th spot by a lot of guys. Harmon is probably next, versatile, great receiver, deceptively good inside the tackles, but the greatest of all time doesn't blow or more likely throw the biggest game of his career.

Shonn Greene was a one trick pony. Kind of like Brad Banks, just one great season. However, unlike Brad Shonn was not versatile even during his one great season, although Shonn's one trick was hellishly good. Didn't block, didn't receive, just ran like Old 97 coming down a three mile grade between Spencer and Danville . Also unlike Brad, Shonn missed a lot of time for academic failures. Greatness doesn't come with unavailability.

Wadley would be in the group with Albert Young and Fred Russell. Those guys have all strong positives and not many negatives. Akrum was an exciting explosive player but in the end there are no style points. A great move does not count for any more yards than just running through your assigned lane. I understand the morale effect of a big play but time and carries evens that out that factor.

Our top three haven't changed since LaDell was a player. Its still "CeeDreak" (how the sainted John Hayden pronounced it) LaDell and Tavian. Let's hope LaDell brings the next greatest running back to Iowa City.

Last edited:
So many good ones, but for clarification are we talking about career yards? TD's? Receiver out of backfield? Wins? Moves? All the above? Best all around back I've ever seen taking the above into account are Harmon and Wadley.
In no particular order we could argue about:
Greene
Russell
Harmon
Betts
Shaw
Banks
Young
Stewart
Gill
Bell
I’d add Jermelle Lewis. He, Bell and Green are right up there. But Tavian is #1!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT