ADVERTISEMENT

Walking shoes

As others have mentioned, go to a running store to get fitted if you like. With just walking it won’t make as much a difference than if you’re or runner unless you have foot/leg issues.

If they recommend a shoe, go online and look them up. You’ll be able to find them cheaper than a running store. If you can get the previous year’s model, you’ll save more. I always buy my running shoes that way. Current model is $150-160 and last year’s version is typically $85ish or so.

You’ll be able to find them cheaper than a running store. If you can get the previous year’s model, you’ll save more. I always buy my running shoes that way. Current model is $150-160 and last year’s version is typically $85ish or so.
i hear DKSPORTINGDS has amazing deals, especially on Hokas

Reactions: EasyHawk
As others have mentioned, go to a running store to get fitted if you like. With just walking it won’t make as much a difference than if you’re or runner unless you have foot/leg issues.

If they recommend a shoe, go online and look them up. You’ll be able to find them cheaper than a running store. If you can get the previous year’s model, you’ll save more. I always buy my running shoes that way. Current model is $150-160 and last year’s version is typically $85ish or so.
If I go to a store to get fitted, I'll purchase the recommended shoe so that they can get compensated for their time and effort. I'll go online for subsequent purchases.

For my last purchase I was between getting a pair of hokas and on cloud. I went with the on cloud because they looked a bit more stylish.
That was a bad choice, I was very disappointed. Walking about 5 miles a day and they were not any better then a regular pair of Nike, Addidas or any other common shoe. For the amount I paid I thought they were going to be like walking on a cloud.
Not comfortable and fell apart in about 6 months of only indoor walking.

I’m hoping the hokas are much better.
If not I’d probably go with 3 different pairs of under armor shoes for the same price as one of those.

My wife has had two pair of On Clouds, and they have both gotten a hole in the exact same place in just a couple of months.

Reactions: Tenacious E
If I go to a store to get fitted, I'll purchase the recommended shoe so that they can get compensated for their time and effort. I'll go online for subsequent purchases.
I do the same thing with Best Buy or Costco. If they are going to showroom stuff for me, I will buy it from them if the prices are remotely close, as I want to encourage it for future purchases. If I already know exactly what I want, off to Amazon I go.

Saw this amazing deal on OCs today while looking at FB. I'll send ya the link, OP. All pairs $35.
8fo432.jpg

You are the bane of the shoe salesman. Coming in to “get fit” professionally then taking your business elsewhere.
Failure to support LOCAL businesses is the #1 problem facing the American economy today. Taking your tax dollars and depositing them in other states is another problem.
Back in the day, we used to “get shopped” all the time and knew it. I was always amazed how customers could come in “”my store” and use my hired help for 30 minutes or so and walk away knowing full well they were going to to but their product sinewhere else or on-line.
Retail sales is certainly a “wake up” call to the idiosyncrasies of the American shopper.

You are the bane of the shoe salesman. Coming in to “get fit” professionally then taking your business elsewhere.
Failure to support LOCAL businesses is the #1 problem facing the American economy today. Taking your tax dollars and depositing them in other states is another problem.
Back in the day, we used to “get shopped” all the time and knew it. I was always amazed how customers could come in “”my store” and use my hired help for 30 minutes or so and walk away knowing full well they were going to to but their product sinewhere else or on-line.
Retail sales is certainly a “wake up” call to the idiosyncrasies of the American shopper.
I went to a local shoe store yesterday to order a new pair of Hoka Clifton 9s. I could only get the shoe in one of two colors, whereas on the Hoka web site I could have 12 color choices. So, there are reasons not to go to a local store.

Reactions: Panic1769
I went to a local shoe store yesterday to order a new pair of Hoka Clifton 9s. I could only get the shoe in one of two colors, whereas on the Hoka web site I could have 12 color choices. So, there are reasons not to go to a local store.
i kinda view it as if i am going to a local store to get shoes specifically for running or walking, i dont really care what color they are.

if i go to a place and they take the time to watch my stride and pick out the best options for me to try on, im giving them my business.

Im looking for function and comfort, not a fashion show.

Did you ask the clerk if he would order them for you? The problem is often what “on-line” folks have available are often colors/models that are “out of production”. We “special ordered” lots of shoes…. Tennis shoes are a real in the butt because they offer too many color combinations, honestly…no store could carry all the colors offered and make money. Enjoy your shoes…. And don’t complain about paying “unemployment taxes”!

Did you ask the clerk if he would order them for you? The problem is often what “on-line” folks have available are often colors/models that are “out of production”. We “special ordered” lots of shoes…. Tennis shoes are a real in the butt because they offer too many color combinations, honestly…no store could carry all the colors offered and make money. Enjoy your shoes…. And don’t complain about paying “unemployment taxes”!
That's the thing, they didn't have my size so they had to order them anyway.

So you are supposed to special order them at the store you went to that didn’t have them in stock in the first place instead of just ordering them online yourself and having them delivered to your home?

Sign me up! I love wasting time and money.

This coming from the guy willing to order his shoes directly from China just to save a few bucks?
Which was of course a scam.

Reactions: joelbc1
So you are supposed to special order them at the store you went to that didn’t have them in stock in the first place instead of just ordering them online yourself and having them delivered to your home?

Sign me up! I love wasting time and money.
They just charge “retail”…..anything you are buying “on-line” at a discount is probably a discontinue/out of production model. Either the “color scheme” is out or the model has been discontinued…..at least that is generally how things worked when I was in the business……and YES, we did a ton on “special order” business for customers….we could get delivery generally within 3 days or the order for most shoes…..I dont see how you are “wasting money: if you are truly comparing apples to apples…..

That's the thing, they didn't have my size so they had to order them anyway.
Normally we’d get a “special order” in 3-4 days…..Now “widths” can present a problem but generally we’d call to verify availability before ordering……If we didn’t have a “size” shame on us….all we ever asked was a chance for your business.

They just charge “retail”…..anything you are buying “on-line” at a discount is probably a discontinue/out of production model. Either the “color scheme” is out or the model has been discontinued…..at least that is generally how things worked when I was in the business……and YES, we did a ton on “special order” business for customers….we could get delivery generally within 3 days or the order for most shoes…..I dont see how you are “wasting money: if you are truly comparing apples to apples…..
I thought you were are reporter or something. You were in the shoe business?

Normally we’d get a “special order” in 3-4 days…..Now “widths” can present a problem but generally we’d call to verify availability before ordering……If we didn’t have a “size” shame on us….all we ever asked was a chance for your business.
They told me 5-6 days. Also, it appears they ordered them from somewhere different than Hoka. Why would that be?

They told me 5-6 days. Also, it appears they ordered them from somewhere different than Hoka. Why would that be?
Could be that’s the way Hoka does their S/O business? Maybe if it is a”chain” they might have other stores where it is in stock? If that’s the case, UPS is way cheaper than ordering from the company and having it shipped…..(shipping is a damn rip off! It’s about $10 for a pr of shoes now….)

Well because you already went to the store once and then have to go back to the store to get them. Time is money, gas is money, wear and tear on a vehicle is money.
I guess that’s how I see it as “wasting money”

Cool "story." Thanks for "sharing."

Could be that’s the way Hoka does their S/O business? Maybe if it is a”chain” they might have other stores where it is in stock? If that’s the case, UPS is way cheaper than ordering from the company and having it shipped…..(shipping is a damn rip off! It’s about $10 for a pr of shoes now….)
It looks like the store is a chain. So they probably are getting the shoes from a different store?

Reactions: joelbc1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT