ADVERTISEMENT

Walking shoes

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
What do you recommend for brand/line? For as much shit Hokas get here they look highly reviewed. So are on cloud 5s. Not looking for this to be fashion I wear out, just the most comfortable and supportive for walks. Tia.

Last edited:
What do you recommend for brand/line? For as much shit Hokas get here they look highly reviewed. So are on cloud 5s. Not looking for this to be fashion I wear out, just the most comfortable and supportive for walks. Tia.
It depends on how far your walks are. I usually walk 8-12 miles a day on average. If it’s a nice weekend, the pup (husky) and I can get 15-20 miles in. The Des Moines trail system is like a dream come true for us.

Going for a mile or less? On Cloud 5’s would be fine. They are stylish and pretty comfortable. Not sure I would take them anything longer than a mile though. It’s also very easy to get rocks stuck in the outsole.

I’m a big fan of the Brooks Ghost line. The Ghost 15 have been awesome. By far my favorite shoe to walk in.

My gf (no pic) is a nurse who’s on her feet most of the day and swears by her Hoka’s. She wore Brooks before that but prefers Hoka’s. Standing/short distance walking is very different than long distance walking though.

I would not look to Nike, Under Armour, or Adidas. Look for the brands whose sole focus is running/walking. ASICS, Brooks, Hoka, Salomon, Saucony, etc.

I’m a big fan of the Brooks Ghost line. The Ghost 15 have been awesome. By far my favorite shoe to walk in.

My gf (no pic) is a nurse who’s on her feet most of the day and swears by her Hoka’s. She wore Brooks before that but prefers Hoka’s. Standing/short distance walking is very different than long distance walking though.
I will second this:

When i used to run, i would wear the ghosts.
When i had a job that kept me moving on my feet all day, i would be in Hokas, i believe the Bondi

Reactions: Tenacious E
It depends on how far your walks are. I usually walk 8-12 miles a day on average. If it’s a nice weekend, the pup (husky) and I can get 15-20 miles in. The Des Moines trail system is like a dream come true for us.

Going for a mile or less? On Cloud 5’s would be fine. They are stylish and pretty comfortable. Not sure I would take them anything longer than a mile though. It’s also very easy to get rocks stuck in the outsole.

I would not look to Nike, Under Armour, or Adidas. Look for the brands whose sole focus is running/walking. ASICS, Brooks, Hoka, Salomon, Saucony, etc.

8 plus miles a day is impressive. My 91 year old uncle walked 6 miles a day since he was 45. He’s down to about 2 miles a day during the past few years. I’ve finally started walking consistently but only do 2 miles a day. I am going to up it to 3 and maintain that.

Hokas have been my favorite. But I only walk 2-3 miles.
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Hokas, OnCloud, Brooks, etc. are for runners. You should look into Rockports.
That’s a good clarification. I have no intention to start running. I hate running and so do my knees, and we have a elliptical trainer for cardio. Realistically these are for 2-4 mile walks.

I recommend OnCloud. have a pair of OnCloud for working out and another for everyday use. If I am a terrible person and wear Dudes or slip ons for a day my plantar fasciitis comes back with a roaring vengeance.

Do you or does anyone have a recommendation of a store to go try these on? Just like a footlocker or something?

In order:

1. On, really any model
2. Hoka….I prefer the ‘plush’ cushioning
3. New Balance
4. Reebok, the true walking shoe line

Go to a running store.

Many will have a treadmill that they will watch you walk and suggest the best shoes for your gait.
Thanks Auntie. If you or anyone has a running store recommendation in the Ankeny/DSM area they recommend, I will be happy to make a purchase from them.

Thanks Auntie. If you or anyone has a running store recommendation in the Ankeny/DSM area they recommend, I will be happy to make a purchase from them.
Im in CR, so i dont know what they have in des moines.

There was a place in CR called We Run. A few years back when i worked a job where i was on my feet all day, i went in and told them i want something with a lot of cushion and they gave me the Hoka Bondi.

When i ran a lot, i went to Iowa Running Company in CR and they watched me run on a treadmillfor a minute or so. They brought out three pair of shoes for me to try.

A pair of Hokas (not sure the model), Brooks ghosts and another pair i cant remember.

i tried the Brooks ghosts first, and when i slipped the other two pair on, the comfort didn’t compare to the Brooks.

Do you or does anyone have a recommendation of a store to go try these on? Just like a footlocker or something?
I forget what area you are in, but I used to go to Fitness Sports in Clive. They will fit you and they have a hallway you can walk or jog in. When I was running half marathons and one full, I went to them. I have size 14 feet and I am a bad pronator and they really do know how to get you in the right shoe.

I forget what area you are in, but I used to go to Fitness Sports in Clive. They will fit you and they have a hallway you can walk or jog in. When I was running half marathons and one full, I went to them. I have size 14 feet and I am a bad pronator and they really do know how to get you in the right shoe.
Fitness Sports it is!

Mizuno - wave
These were the shoes I wore before switching to Brooks.

The only reason I switched was because the insole kept wearing out rather quickly which was putting holes in my socks.

Mizuno Wave and Brooks Ghost are pretty much identical when it comes to comfort. The Ghost is a bit narrower and I like that. Feels like a better fit to me.

Depending where you live, I would try to find a local shop that specializes in finding your perfect fit. I know Fleet Feet in downtown Des Moines can digitally measure your feet to figure out which fit would be best.

I bought my first pair from them, but since then I just order from the Brooks website. Sometimes they will have sales or discounts that you can't get at Scheels or any other department store.

These were the shoes I wore before switching to Brooks.

The only reason I switched was because the insole kept wearing out rather quickly which was putting holes in my socks.

Mizuno Wave and Brooks Ghost are pretty much identical when it comes to comfort. The Ghost is a bit narrower and I like that. Feels like a better fit to me.
I have relative narrow feet, and high arches. My feet point very straight when I walk, and I don't pronate much. I'd put the Mizunos at middle-of-the-pack in terms of how fast they wear out, but they always seem to be the most comfortable overall for me.

Depending where you live, I would try to find a local shop that specializes in finding your perfect fit. I know Fleet Feet in downtown Des Moines can digitally measure your feet to figure out which fit would be best.

I bought my first pair from them, but since then I just order from the Brooks website. Sometimes they will have sales or discounts that you can't get at Scheels or any other department store.

I had good luck in Fleet Feet in downtown Des Moines.

8 plus miles a day is impressive. My 91 year old uncle walked 6 miles a day since he was 45. He’s down to about 2 miles a day during the past few years. I’ve finally started walking consistently but only do 2 miles a day. I am going to up it to 3 and maintain that.
Good luck! I was able to average exactly 9 miles per day last year. I had to walk 13 on December 31st to hit that mark but I made it. 😃

Haven’t seen these mentioned yet, but I’ve got some Altra Lone Peak 7’s that I really like. They are especially great for trails.

d2ec318a-8a51-4da7-be6a-771113b89b15_altra-lone-peak-7-5.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT