ADVERTISEMENT

Walt Nauta

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Lost in all the Trump threads has been discussion about Nauta. He is facing six charges. He was cooperating until he was provided with a lawyer by Trump, then he clammed up. I assume he keeps the Trump lawyers, but at any point does anyone close to him question as to if those lawyers are looking out for him? Trump and Nauta are not being tried together. It’s conceivable that Nauta is convicted, and Trump skates.
Will Nauta eventually flip?

Reactions: Torg
Ok. This thread is to wonder if Nauta will flip. I'll start another thread to talk about the lawyers. We might need another thread depending on where those go. Can never be to sure.

Ok. This thread is to wonder if Nauta will flip. I'll start another thread to talk about the lawyers. We might need another thread depending on where those go. Can never be to sure.
I’d be interested in discussing Trump’s lawyers. Go for it.

Reactions: MitchLL
Indicted because 1) he is guilty of the same crimes as is Lying Donnie Sexual Abuser, 2) he will be asked to flip and spill more beans on Lying Donnie Sexual Abuser rather than spend years in prison. I'd guess he will flip.

Reactions: Torg and Joes Place
Quotes in the Indictment make it clear that Nauta both knowingly helped conceal subpoenaed documents - including physically moving them - and lied to the FBI.

He was Trump's "body man" which sounds like a low level position, and sort of makes me feel sorry for him. But unless the defense can disprove what was said in the indictment, he was elbow-deep in the law-breaking.

While anything is possible in this world, that seems really unlikely. And if it somehow happens it will prove 2 sets of laws - one for the rich and powerful and one for everyone else.
The problem is that Nauta has admitted moving the boxes. And he lied about some of what went on. Whereas Trump always seems to keep enough distance to claim no direct involvement.

If you read the indictment there are examples of Trump engaging in what I call "Mafia speak" - where it seems clear he is telling someone to destroy records, but he never actually says those words.

And then there's the problem of finding a jury that won't have someone who will never vote to convict Trump.

Plus, it looks like we'll have a Trump-friendly judge, whose rulings on things like admissibility could make it easier for Trump to skate.

It will be fun to watch, but be prepared for justice to fail. Again.

Funny stuff with this clown.

Think how desperate this guy must be to associate with DJT?

plea deal is his best option if the proof is there for the allegations, especially, apparently, if they have him cold n a couple of the counts.

From what I’ve read, he is a hardcore loyalist. Trump has likely promised a pardon. My bet is he takes the fall (and later regrets it).

The wildcard is the Trump trial judge going easy on him at sentencing.

It seems like none of the career politicians in Trumps orbit are willing to go to jail for Trump. But this Walt guy isn't one of those and seems like he might take the fall thinking Trump will pardon him or otherwise get him out of it. Sorry Walt, you're about to learn the hard way Trump's loyalty only goes one way.

ELIE MYSTAL: Yeah. So, the thing about the indictment that stands out to me is that Trump, by his own running of the mouth, ruined his best legal defense, right? Like, the defense to “I took classified documents that I wasn’t supposed to have, and didn’t give them back when you asked,” is “I was too stupid to know they were classified documents or to know what they were. Who could tell? Not me.” Like, that’s your actual best legal defense. And Trump blows that legal defense out of the water when he says — and they have him on tape saying — that he knows the documents are confidential, he knows that he’s not supposed to be showing it to whatever staffer he’s showing it to, he knows that they’re not declassified, and he knows that he can’t declassify them now because he’s no longer president.

ELIE MYSTAL: What I think is more problematic is the fact that the entire Republican Party continues to debase itself in service of Donald Trump and in service of that white supremacist base that Kari Lake is talking to, right? Like, as you point out, Amy, in a normal party, when one of your rivals is indicted on 37 counts of espionage, the rest of the field is like, “Hmm, maybe you should elect me and not the guy who just got indicted.” But in the modern Republican Party, they’re all feaming, right? They’re all, like, jonesing for the next hit off of Trump’s white supremacist base, and so they can’t risk saying mean things about Trump, even though he’s just been indicted. They have to instead placate Trump even as they purport to be running against him.

plea deal is his best option if the proof is there for the allegations, especially, apparently, if they have him cold n a couple of the counts.

From what I’ve read, he is a hardcore loyalist. Trump has likely promised a pardon. My bet is he takes the fall (and later regrets it).

The wildcard is the Trump trial judge going easy on him at sentencing.
Trump has dangled pardons before, and delivered them to people who kept their mouths shut.
Nauta is really star struck, or willing to gamble everything on a pardon.

Reactions: Torg and Joes Place
Nauta is due in court tomorrow. He has not entered a plea, yet. His first appearance was pushed back because he has not hired a lawyer in Florida. As of today he still has not hired a lawyer to represent him in Florida.
Let’s see how the judge reacts tomorrow if he says he needs more time.

Nauta is due in court tomorrow. He has not entered a plea, yet. His first appearance was pushed back because he has not hired a lawyer in Florida. As of today he still has not hired a lawyer to represent him in Florida.

Article from a few weeks ago but still applicable. Nauta is playing games with the court in order to help King Orange. Apparently the same hack judge so it will be tolerated likely for as long as necessary.

The Magistrate could assign a public defender and set a new arraignment date in a day or two, or could even enter a not guilty plea on his behalf. Delaying the proceedings another two weeks is highly unlikely IMO. Before that, I hope the Judge grills him good.

Reactions: Joes Place
Anyone with two coins to rub together should try to avoid using a public defender.
I used to work with some guys from the DC Public Defender Service. All good people. The caseloads they carry make it hard to give good service, though. Which is probably the point of underfunding public defenders. They are basically forced to plea everything out.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I used to work with some guys from the DC Public Defender Service. All good people. The caseloads they carry make it hard to give good service, though. Which is probably the point of underfunding public defenders. They are basically forced to plea everything out.
Yeah, I'm not impugning their legal credentials. They are massively overworked and underpaid is the problem.

Yep, guaranteed conviction for prosecutor

By design as WWJD pointed out with the severe underfunding of public defenders. I'll have to remember this next time one of my MAGA friends complains that he or she has to hear about income inequality, white privilege and structural racism.

By design as WWJD pointed out with the severe underfunding of public defenders. I'll have to remember this next time one of my MAGA friends complains that he or she has to hear about income inequality, white privilege and structural racism.
The recent "compromise" to cut IRS funding is another example.

Who benefits from the IRS being unable to investigate or prosecute offenders?

He'd throw his mother under the bus if it would save him some embarrassment and additional legal issues. Loyalty is not one of his traits.

Reactions: Torg and McLovin32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT