ADVERTISEMENT

Wander Franco pulled from the Rays lineup as they investigate

There’s an issue with using the restricted list if he wants to play for the team. Then they need to make a disciplinary decision or pay him.
I'm not up on those rules, they don't come up that often. Usually a guy goes on bereavement or something for 5 days. I think if he forces the issue the team has to pay him, and if the league gets out over their skis, well, what does the union do?

Reactions: mnole03
So the fan giveaway at yesterday's game (that Franco sat out) was.......a Franco Rays hat, for all attendees who were age 14 & under.

Ouch.

Beat me to it. I just saw that. Talk about a funky coincidence.

Holy shit. The first line,
F3lmf64WIBU6en_

Test my memory here.

Isn't the DR the country where MLB had a mini scandal back in the day about players' ages? Like, they'd hold these camps for kids to try out at where they'd get signed (I want to say teams used to have some sort of academy where the kids would then get professionally trained etc) because they thought they were 16 or so - then find out they were 20 or even older?

Not defending Franco here - but I seem to recall there was an era where you really didn't know for certain how old anybody signed from there really was.

I am seeing there's a second accuser now?
Definitely at least one from the reports and now Hector Gomez, the guy who broke Wander’s contract extension, is reporting hearing from sources that he may well never play in MLB again.

Seems he may have had a pattern, based on reporting that‘s starting to come out. Seems unlikely that at 22 and suddenly a mega-millionaire, that he just decided to go bang a 14yo.

You have to think someone would have seen it. Just wow, don’t know what the kid is thinking. I get 22 year olds think they are invincible but damn son.

You have to think someone would have seen it. Just wow, don’t know what the kid is thinking. I get 22 year olds think they are invincible but damn son.
I hope for victims’ sakes that this is all nothing. If that’s not true, it‘s likely there’s a pattern.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
So he could be a senior in college, and he's with a girl in 8th grade. I would guess for it to spread like this there is some pretty damning evidence, and this isn't just like a family friend extorting him.

0% currently. His stuff is moving like crazy right now because everything is selling for pennies on the dollar.
Yikes. I mean Aaron Hernandez merch held up way better than this. People hate chomos.

Yikes. I mean Aaron Hernandez merch held up way better than this. People hate chomos.
It's a sell the news situation right now. Some bizarre stuff will probably result in an unusually inflated market (like the "Youth Invasion" card above), or if he somehow shows up down the road hitting bombs in the DR Penal League, but lots of folks are losing their ass on expensive cards. Part of the gamble (that's not gambling).

Side note, wasn't there a thread a few months back about the incredible start by the Rays, and how they were running away with the NL East?
AL East?

They have certainly fallen off that amazing early pace. Still looking at around 100 wins, which is pretty impressive.

It’s the right call. MLB has the resources and the juice with the Union to do this.
I’m sure the MLBPA is right with MLB on this. I know it’s their job to defend players, but outside of doing their due diligence to make sure Wander gets a fair review, they (and the players at large) have no interest in keeping a pedo in baseball.

Test my memory here.

Isn't the DR the country where MLB had a mini scandal back in the day about players' ages? Like, they'd hold these camps for kids to try out at where they'd get signed (I want to say teams used to have some sort of academy where the kids would then get professionally trained etc) because they thought they were 16 or so - then find out they were 20 or even older?

Not defending Franco here - but I seem to recall there was an era where you really didn't know for certain how old anybody signed from there really was.
You are correct. They didn't always have birth certificates and when they did, they didn't always match what the player said. I seem to remember the Dodgers used to run some of these camps and had there was some suspicion that Jose Offerman was older than he claimed.

I think it’s becoming more and more likely that Wander is done in MLB. We’ll see if charges ever come, but if he’s getting involved with teenagers (whether their parents are basically pimping them out or not)…and especially if he has a pattern with girls of this age, he’ll be done.

They've been playing .500 ball since the end of May, they're not hitting 100 wins and really aren't an impressive team

Since the All-star break they have the 3rd best record in the majors, which is impressive considering that, if healthy, their injured list would probably be the best pitching staff in baseball.

If they'd managed to stay healthy (and not get suspended for chasing 9th graders), they'd have been one of the favorites to win it all. That they're still close to the division lead despite losing 3 starting pitchers (and having another who's missed half the season) is one hell of an accomplishment.

I think it’s becoming more and more likely that Wander is done in MLB. We’ll see if charges ever come, but if he’s getting involved with teenagers (whether their parents are basically pimping them out or not)…and especially if he has a pattern with girls of this age, he’ll be done.
If he’s charged, Japan and Korea go away as options. They won’t grant a visa.

Reactions: hawkifann
Since the All-star break they have the 3rd best record in the majors, which is impressive considering that, if healthy, their injured list would probably be the best pitching staff in baseball.

If they'd managed to stay healthy (and not get suspended for chasing 9th graders), they'd have been one of the favorites to win it all. That they're still close to the division lead despite losing 3 starting pitchers (and having another who's missed half the season) is one hell of an accomplishment.

Especially in that division!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT