ADVERTISEMENT

Was Brody Brecht a Bigger Disappointment in Football or Baseball?

Anyone ever notice how he disappears from a thread after he gets exposed?

He maybe the worst kind of poster. First off he thinks he’s smarter than everyone and so knowledgeable when he’s really now. Then he’s thinks he’s some kind of Nostradamus and first one to pat himself on the back when he has a correct prediction. But most of the time it’s something so obvious that a 10 year old could predict like saying Iowa football O and b-ball D will be bad. But when he’s wrong, which is frequent, he will never admit it and pull a Houdini disappearing act from this site.

Honest question here about the highest touted two sport athlete to come through Iowa in the past twenty years.

FOOTBALL

Brecht came in as a highly rated 6'4, 210 lb WR prospect with offers from Kansas State, Nebraska, Iowa State, etc. He was expected to come in and make a difference right away on a roster that desperately lacked WR talent at WR. Unfortunately, after two years in the program, Brecht was perhaps best known for racking up a total of 0 yards after catch in his entire career...due to his strange habit of jumping and falling to make every catch, regardless of whether he was covered or not. It's almost like he received no coaching at all. Brecht finished his much anticipated Hawkeye football career with just 9 receptions and no touchdowns before giving it up to focus on what he hoped would be a lucrative baseball future.

BASEBALL

Brecht, with his 100+ mph fastball, was rumored to be a top draft MLB prospect coming out of high school. He is one of the highest ranked recruits ever to play baseball for Iowa's up and coming team. While he showed flashes in his first few years in the program, control was a major issue. Going into the 2024 season, however, Brecht was clocked throwing 103 mph and touted as a 1st round draft prospect in this year's MLB draft. With those kinds of accolades, he was a pre-season 1st team all-American (the nation's top pitcher) and was poised to have a breakout season. Well, we are 2/3 of the way through his final season. Surely the pre-season all American has been mowing down inferior college opponents, right? Nope. In 9 starts as Iowa's #1 pitcher, Brecht is just 0-2 with a 4.91 ERA. In 40 innings, he's given up a whopping 32 walks and 34 hits. No doubt he throws a mean fastball, but based off ERA, he's just the 7th best pitcher on Iowa's roster. More importantly, he's still waiting to notch his first win of the season vs mediocre college opponents.

To me, he was a bigger disappointment in football. The Hawks desperately needed a WR with size and he's been the only 6'4 guy out there since Brandon Smith (6'3) left in 2020.
I watched him pitch twice this year and was excellent. Won both games and will be drafted. Guaranteed.

It is very very rare for a pitcher to go straight to the majors regardless of HS/CBB timetable. Most will be placed in the minors with the hope that they are able to develop. Brecht will be no different.

You can't teach that kind of arm talent that he has. You CAN teach refinement of that talent. You have seen what he can do when he has control and he is almost unhittable. The key will be consistency. He will go high in the draft and will just depend on what teams needs are.

Anyone ever notice how he disappears from a thread after he gets exposed?
Sadly, the only thing @sober_teacher knows about being "exposed" is when he exposes himself to school kids.

As one of the 10% on this board who actually follows Hawkeye baseball, I am happier than most that Brecht finally found some control in the past few games and has notched some wins. But nothing in the OP is factually incorrect. Brecht hadn't won a game in his first 10 starts. That, to anyone who follows baseball, is an enormous disappointment for a pre-season all-American...or for even an average pitcher with no pre-season accolades. Even with Brecht's recent wins, he's just 3-2 with a 3.43 ERA. He's playing well, but has given up nearly 1 walk per inning pitched. It's not terrible, but it's certainly nowhere close to what he expected out of himself. Ask the guy.

It's always amusing when bovine posters like @herkhatescy or @Ladell-hawk come out of the woodwork AFTER the fact and say "SEE, YOU"RE WRONG." I don't recall these clowns hyping up Brecht when he was winless after his first 10 starts...they only come out from under their rock when it feels safe. The same type of posters who praised Brian Ferentz's performance every time the Hawks eked out a 10-7 win then disappeared when the Hawks cemented their legacy as the worst offensive team in Power 5 football. Hell, Patrick McCaffery had a few 20 point games in his career, but that doesn't mean his career at Iowa was a huge success.

Anyone who thinks Brecht has had a good season because he recently notched his 3 win in 13 starts doesn't follow baseball and doesn't have a clue how to be objective. I hope he keeps winning, but there are currently 70 pitchers in college baseball with ERAs under 3.0. There are more than 50 pitchers out there with 7 wins or more.

Brody has a long way to go to avoid a disappointing season and winning a couple games in a row doesn't change that.

Last edited:
Sadly, the only thing @sober_teacher knows about being "exposed" is when he exposes himself to school kids.

As one of the 10% on this board who actually follows Hawkeye baseball, I am happier than most that Brecht finally found some control in the past few games and has notched some wins. But nothing in the OP is factually incorrect. Brecht hadn't won a game in his first 10 starts. That, to anyone who follows baseball, is an enormous disappointment for a pre-season all-American...or for even an average pitcher with no pre-season accolades. Even with Brecht's recent wins, he's just 3-2 with a 3.43 ERA. He's playing well, but has given up nearly 1 walk per inning pitched. It's not terrible, but it's certainly nowhere close to what he expected out of himself. Ask the guy.

It's always amusing when bovine posters like @herkhatescy or @Ladell-hawk come out of the woodwork AFTER the fact and say "SEE, YOU"RE WRONG." I don't recall these clowns hyping up Brecht when he was winless after his first 10 starts...they only come out from under their rock when it feels safe. The same type of posters who praised Brian Ferentz's performance every time the Hawks eked out a 10-7 win then disappeared when the Hawks cemented their legacy as the worst offensive team in Power 5 football.

Anyone who thinks Brecht has had a good season because he recently notched his 3 win in 13 starts doesn't follow baseball and doesn't have a clue how to be objective. I hope he keeps winning, but there are currently 70 pitchers in college baseball with ERAs under 3.0. There are more than 50 pitchers out there with 7 wins or more.

Brody has a long way to go to avoid a disappointing season and winning a couple games in a row doesn't change that.
fart-sounds.jpg

It's always amusing when bovine posters like @herkhatescy or @Ladell-hawk come out of the woodwork AFTER the fact and say "SEE, YOU"RE WRONG." I don't recall these clowns hyping up Brecht when he was winless after his first 10 starts...they only come out from under their rock when it feels safe. The same type of posters who praised Brian Ferentz's performance every time the Hawks eked out a 10-7 win then disappeared when the Hawks cemented their legacy as the worst offensive team in Power 5 football. Hell, Patrick McCaffery had a few 20 point games in his career, but that doesn't mean his career at Iowa was a huge success.

First of all, you can go screw yourself for that shot you took at me. I’ll be reporting that to the mods.

Second, I have been following the team this season; have gone to 4 games and will be in Omaha in two weeks.

Third, if Brecht does end up being a first or second round pick idk how on earth you can say he’s been a disappointment.

200w.gif

40/63 isn't even tough math. Try harder.

The only thing that gives me joy in reading anything you write is that I consistently get to watch your take go down in flame, and more people realize you are a miserable ass with every word. The world needs less of your takes.

He's probably a top 5 college SP at this point. The draft will support this position I'd guess.
I can’t imagine him not being a top 20 draft pick because you can’t teach that arm talent. If he winds up outside the top 20 (assuming he finishes the season healthy), it’ll be because of weird MLB draft stuff. There are a bunch of weird slot rules and sometimes teams stack their draft picks in weird ways or pass on certain guys for signability….but his arm should supersede all that.

I can’t imagine him not being a top 20 draft pick because you can’t teach that arm talent. If he winds up outside the top 20 (assuming he finishes the season healthy), it’ll be because of weird MLB draft stuff. There are a bunch of weird slot rules and sometimes teams stack their draft picks in weird ways or pass on certain guys for signability….but his arm should supersede all that.
Here is Keith Law responding to a Brecht question about his draft status:

Braydon: Brody Brecht has been much better his last two starts. Can his final few starts of the year improve his draft stock significantly?
Keith Law: I don’t think “significantly,” but maybe slightly. He’s probably the fourth college starter taken after Burns, Smith, Yesavage. Word is the Angels would just take Yesavage and rush him to the big leagues. If that’s true those three arms all go in the top ten, and then we may not see another pitcher taken until the back half of the round.

Here is Keith Law responding to a Brecht question about his draft status:

Braydon: Brody Brecht has been much better his last two starts. Can his final few starts of the year improve his draft stock significantly?
Keith Law: I don’t think “significantly,” but maybe slightly. He’s probably the fourth college starter taken after Burns, Smith, Yesavage. Word is the Angels would just take Yesavage and rush him to the big leagues. If that’s true those three arms all go in the top ten, and then we may not see another pitcher taken until the back half of the round.
Sounds about right. I don’t think there’s anything Brecht can do to turn that into a group of 4 given the consistency and stuff of those 3 and Brecht’s gooey middle of the season…..but he’s going to make a ton of money anyway.

Moron. That's out of line. And his stats and control are pretty good for a pitcher. Randy Johnson talks about pitchers needing work to perfect their control and mechanics. You can't teach 100mph and that is what they like.

Hey, remember that time you talked about how you hated women's sports (and women in general) and thought that Caitlin Clark would just be a flash in the pan and couldn't lead Iowa to a Final Four?.........................

200w.gif

Hey, remember that time you talked about how you hated women's sports (and women in general) and thought that Caitlin Clark would just be a flash in the pan and couldn't lead Iowa to a Final Four?.........................

200w.gif
He was right, she didn’t lead them to a Final Four. She led them to two. I’m sure that’s what he meant. 🤦‍♂️

Honest question here about the highest touted two sport athlete to come through Iowa in the past twenty years.

FOOTBALL

Brecht came in as a highly rated 6'4, 210 lb WR prospect with offers from Kansas State, Nebraska, Iowa State, etc. He was expected to come in and make a difference right away on a roster that desperately lacked WR talent at WR. Unfortunately, after two years in the program, Brecht was perhaps best known for racking up a total of 0 yards after catch in his entire career...due to his strange habit of jumping and falling to make every catch, regardless of whether he was covered or not. It's almost like he received no coaching at all. Brecht finished his much anticipated Hawkeye football career with just 9 receptions and no touchdowns before giving it up to focus on what he hoped would be a lucrative baseball future.

BASEBALL

Brecht, with his 100+ mph fastball, was rumored to be a top draft MLB prospect coming out of high school. He is one of the highest ranked recruits ever to play baseball for Iowa's up and coming team. While he showed flashes in his first few years in the program, control was a major issue. Going into the 2024 season, however, Brecht was clocked throwing 103 mph and touted as a 1st round draft prospect in this year's MLB draft. With those kinds of accolades, he was a pre-season 1st team all-American (the nation's top pitcher) and was poised to have a breakout season. Well, we are 2/3 of the way through his final season. Surely the pre-season all American has been mowing down inferior college opponents, right? Nope. In 9 starts as Iowa's #1 pitcher, Brecht is just 0-2 with a 4.91 ERA. In 40 innings, he's given up a whopping 32 walks and 34 hits. No doubt he throws a mean fastball, but based off ERA, he's just the 7th best pitcher on Iowa's roster. More importantly, he's still waiting to notch his first win of the season vs mediocre college opponents.

To me, he was a bigger disappointment in football. The Hawks desperately needed a WR with size and he's been the only 6'4 guy out there since Brandon Smith (6'3) left in 2020.
Set the record for most strikeouts since 1999 i believe is the last time a pitcher struck out that many batters. Not a disappointment. You're wrong about him.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Agreed. if he can exercise greater control, there's no question in my mind he can pitch in the majors. His stuff is electric.
Randy Johnson was just interviewed about not getting his control and mechanics down until at least 5 years in the league. Brecht has some of the exact flaws that are correctable. And you are right. 104mph is ridiculously fast.

Reactions: sober_teacher
He maybe the worst kind of poster. First off he thinks he’s smarter than everyone and so knowledgeable when he’s really now. Then he’s thinks he’s some kind of Nostradamus and first one to pat himself on the back when he has a correct prediction. But most of the time it’s something so obvious that a 10 year old could predict like saying Iowa football O and b-ball D will be bad. But when he’s wrong, which is frequent, he will never admit it and pull a Houdini disappearing act from this site.

He's a troll. I wouldn't give it more than a chuckle and move on.

Iowa record
Thanks! What's crazy is Paul Skenes had 209 K's last year for LSU. Benefit of playing in the CWS and also he only walked 1.5 batters per 9. He was at 15.3K/9, Brody right now is at 15.4K/9 but 5.7BB/9 so he just can't go deep enough in most games, last few not withstanding. Brody has about 70 innings pitched this year compared to Skenes having 122 innings last year. If he can clean up the walks he's going to have a good career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT