ADVERTISEMENT

Was Mangino termination a last ditch effort to stay employed?

Herkmeister

HB Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2006
My buddy in Ames says the word on the street is that Paul is done at season's end. That said, this board has given reason to keep him another year. Dumping your OC in mid season does not seem to be the act of a man who thinks he's walking the plank.

I guess we'll know by the number of people who respond won't we? And why would we not care? A weak ISU program only helps the Hawkeyes. I mean dude,,,,,, DO THE EFFING MATH!!! :confused:

Actually, it doesn't help Iowa's SOS, in fact, it really hurts Iowa there.

While it's more fun for the fan base that ISU is a door mat, they still typically play their best game of the year against Iowa. When ISU wins and are dog meat, ala just year, it makes Iowa look really bad.

yes, we will see by how many reply. i did edit that part as i knew it would come off snarky. i can only speak for myself but i don't really don't care about ISU much after the day after the game.

ISU is generally a laughingstock in college football and really wish we didn't have to play them year in year out.

Well at least this past weekend they did not make us look too bad. Actually played a good second half.

Hope I didn't look snarky either. Your point about their record is correct. But if they only get the occasional legacy recruit like Lazard and none of the top Iowa kids it does benefit us.

Well at least this past weekend they did not make us look too bad. Actually played a good second half.

Second half? From the 5 minute mark of the 2nd quarter, they outscored them 27-10. Do you think Baylor took pitty on them in the second quarter? For the rest of the game? I'm not into 'moral' victories, but the way ISU fought back was pretty respectable. ISU dug their grave with TO's in the 1st quarter.

Actually, it doesn't help Iowa's SOS, in fact, it really hurts Iowa there.

While it's more fun for the fan base that ISU is a door mat, they still typically play their best game of the year against Iowa. When ISU wins and are dog meat, ala just year, it makes Iowa look really bad.

yes, we will see by how many reply. i did edit that part as i knew it would come off snarky. i can only speak for myself but i don't really don't care about ISU much after the day after the game.

ISU is generally a laughingstock in college football and really wish we didn't have to play them year in year out.

Why do you even post anymore? You have sooooo much credibility. LOL

Strength of schedule? Such a stupid argument, beating a shitty team is always better then losing to a good one in college football.

Strength of schedule? Such a stupid argument, beating a shitty team is always better then losing to a good one in college football.

Those aren't the only options though as much as you'd like to frame it as such.

What about beating a good team?

and what about my point, which is losing to a shitty team? which Iowa has had the unfortunate tendency to do against ISU...

Amazing the D coordinator still has a job. My buddy that is an ISU fan wanted PR out after not firing him after last season, in which the D was awful. I believe he is a buddy of PR.

Isu hast to pay him $4.5 million within 60 days of firing him. Plus another $330k around 2018.

What kind of dumb ad gives a buyout like that when the program has done nothing in 100 years.

His only decent year was with somebody else's players.

Pollard deserves the ax just as much as Rhoades.

Amazing the D coordinator still has a job. My buddy that is an ISU fan wanted PR out after not firing him after last season, in which the D was awful. I believe he is a buddy of PR.

Rhoads can also "fire" him after the year to save his own butt. Burnham is old enough to be lead out to pasture

Perhaps you should evaluate that mutual friendship.

Hmmm. Interesting point.
Sincerely,
The 2014 Ohio State Buckeyes and Baylor Bears

He's had success at BB. Nice changes to Jack Trice. If he's gonna move now would be the time before the BB program goes down.

Agree.......you have to remember that it's Iowa State.....an AD that did what he did with the stadium, BB program, and fan energy that is very overweight for the level of success....will be a candidate elsewhere.

Reactions: Txcountrylawyer
Agree.......you have to remember that it's Iowa State.....an AD that did what he did with the stadium, BB program, and fan energy that is very overweight for the level of success....will be a candidate elsewhere.
Hmmmmmmm Was the overweight adjective intentional as this is a Mangino thread?

My buddy in Ames says the word on the street is that Paul is done at season's end. That said, this board has given reason to keep him another year. Dumping your OC in mid season does not seem to be the act of a man who thinks he's walking the plank.
Coupe things are a little fishy about this Mangino thing....

1) He immediately pops up as a candidate for the North Texas job....makes me think there was communication going on...

2) He gets let go immediately after what could be considered their 2 toughest games.....with a W against a beatable Texas team "so proud" can A)Justify the move B) Shift blame to Mangino C) Remove an in-house candidate to take his job D) Save his job with another win v KSU

Coupe things are a little fishy about this Mangino thing....

1) He immediately pops up as a candidate for the North Texas job....makes me think there was communication going on...

2) He gets let go immediately after what could be considered their 2 toughest games.....with a W against a beatable Texas team "so proud" can A)Justify the move B) Shift blame to Mangino C) Remove an in-house candidate to take his job D) Save his job with another win v KSU
By George I think you followed my thought process.

If there are going to be so many more jobs that are much more attractive than isu the clones could be in a tough spot hiring anyone. No worry though, Pollard will spin whoever Leath chooses as the one candidate he was focusing on all along.

Unless he performs a miracle down the stretch he is gone and he knows it

Great, then with who isu will be competing with for a new head coach, maybe we will see isu return to the Criner and Walden eras. Good thing isu expanded the stadium.

Great, then with who isu will be competing with for a new head coach, maybe we will see isu return to the Criner and Walden eras. Good thing isu expanded the stadium.

Saban and Dabo are two names at the top of my list

Unless he performs a miracle down the stretch he is gone and he knows it
I don't think he needs a miracle. I think if he wins two and looks competitive in the losses, he's 50-50 or better to get another year. I'm sure he'll be back if he wins 3, and that wouldn't be a miracle by any stretch of the imagination.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT