ADVERTISEMENT

Watching the All-American game....

herk u2

Team MVP
Oct 1, 2016
Does anyone still watch this anymore or remember watching to see if they choose Iowa? The one that stands out to me is the Chris Leak announcement, as I was in school at the time.

Nelson kid from Nebraska looked good. Good to see small town kids do well in these games.

Its 99% hype for high school kids looking for big $$. Sickening really. Saw about 10 min of today's game. One kid that committed to Mizzou actually said his mom wanted him to go elsewhere, where he initially committed to, but they decided to look for a bigger offer. So much for playing for the love of the game.

I like the football part of the game but could do away with the commitment part during it.

The year Dan Doerning committed was a banger… 05 ish?
Only a couple panned out from the highest ranked recruiting class in Iowa history. Jake C was in that class. Tony M. Turned out good. The rest were complete busts or so-so.

Reactions: TDJ7
MVP of 2007 NC when they smoked OSU. Not a big loss? Good God.
But we had Tate through 2006, which was my main point. But you make a fair point as well. I honestly didn’t recall how Leak did after we whooped the Zookers in 2005.

Reactions: mvhomerl
Only a couple panned out from the highest ranked recruiting class in Iowa history. Jake C was in that class. Tony M. Turned out good. The rest were complete busts or so-so.
I feel like that game, Iowa got like five AAs. yeah only a couple produced much. Dan, i think quit football after a year or two due to medical issues. That class was quietly good... Moeaki, Eubanks, Stross, Richardson, Yanda... Then a few flame outs like JC and Bailey.

I feel like that game, Iowa got like five AAs. yeah only a couple produced much. Dan, i think quit football after a year or two due to medical issues. That class was quietly good... Moeaki, Eubanks, Stross, Richardson, Yanda... Then a few flame outs like JC and Bailey.
Dan Doering played and finished out his Iowa career. Might not of been at the highest level but he was a serviceable lineman that dealt with a lot of adversity and injuries his entire career.

If I am not mistaken, Jake and his Dad were the catalysts to recruiting a lot of these high level players to Iowa with ND down, along with the Illini as a lot of them were from Illinois. Wish the rb’s would have panned out in that class. Think there were two rb’s and one fullback that was huge.

Dan Doering played and finished out his Iowa career. Might not of been at the highest level but he was a serviceable lineman that dealt with a lot of adversity and injuries his entire career.

If I am not mistaken, Jake and his Dad were the catalysts to recruiting a lot of these high level players to Iowa with ND down, along with the Illini as a lot of them were from Illinois. Wish the rb’s would have panned out in that class. Think there were two rb’s and one fullback that was huge.
Bailey was the 4* fullback... he bounced around bit. Who remembers Kyle Williams?

A couple flat busts, but so many injuries in that class.

Dace was good; would have been great without the injuries.

Moeaki could have been an all-time great if he could have stayed healthy.

Alex Kanellis with concussions.

I don't think Tyler Blum or Dan Doering were ever consistently healthy.

A couple flat busts, but so many injuries in that class.

Dace was good; would have been great without the injuries.

Moeaki could have been an all-time great if he could have stayed healthy.

Alex Kanellis with concussions.

I don't think Tyler Blum or Dan Doering were ever consistently healthy.
How about Ryan Bain whose Dad wanted a letter in writing that Kirk would start him on the DL as a soph, and Kirk told him that he would personally help Ryan pack his bags. lol...

Reactions: StallmanCurse
Bone crusher? He wasn’t a part of that class. Stole money from players lockers as a committed recruit so they cut him loose.
Kyle Williams went to Purdue and was busted for rape and/or armed robbery after brutally beating a coed, maybe two, and is doing 25+ or so.

As I recall he wasn't in WL too long before this transpired.

• Wow
Reactions: pink shizzle
How about Ryan Bain whose Dad wanted a letter in writing that Kirk would start him on the DL as a soph, and Kirk told him that he would personally help Ryan pack his bags. lol...
I was actually trying to remember the details on him. What you wrote is what I recalled but I thought he transferred to Illinois and had a nice career. Turns out that is totally wrong. Robbie Bain played at Illinois. Ryan transferred to Akron and never played.

I was actually trying to remember the details on him. What you wrote is what I recalled but I thought he transferred to Illinois and had a nice career. Turns out that is totally wrong. Robbie Bain played at Illinois. Ryan transferred to Akron and never played.
Exactly. He transferred to the Zips, and never did shit. Think he was a 4 star in that class.......

1 game doesn't define a career. How was his NFL career.....he was solid QB in college, not a star. Take it easy.
I took it to mean the stuff associated with him off the field. It is good his name isn't tied to Iowa in a Pierre Pierce sort of way.

Another thread hijacked by Hawkeye nostalgia.

Another thread hijacked by Hawkeye nostalgia.
Really? The topic was the All American game and the players who committ during the game. Several AA's committed to Iowa during that game and at the time of the game our class was ranked top 5, maybe even #2 at that time. One of those highly thought of recruits was Bain........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT