ADVERTISEMENT

Water intake per day.

I drink a gallon or more of iced tea a day. Probably add a couple pints of plain water on top of that.

Every day for years and years.

I'm pretty sure that's not actually the recommendation.

My understanding is that you should use the color of your urine to determine how much to drink. If it's dark than your water intake is too low. If it's clear you actually have too much.

It should be a light yellow.

I guess I need to hang this above my toilet.

SHADES-OF-YELLOW.webp

• Haha
Reactions: Bishop-71

How much water do you need?

Whether you prefer plain, sparkling or infused water, drink plenty every day. So much water does an average adult in a temperate climate need?

Mayo Clinic recommends this minimum daily intake of water:

• Women — 11.5 cups, or 92 ounces
  • Men — 15.5 cups, or 124 ounces
You lose water through breathing, perspiring, urine and bowel movements. You must continually replace your body's water supply by eating food and drinking beverages that contain water. About 20% of the daily intake of liquid comes from food and the rest from drinks.

Anyone can become dehydrated, but certain people are at greater risk, including infants, young children and people who work or exercise outdoors. Even mild dehydration can leave you feeling tired and lacking energy.

In addition, older adults are more likely to become dehydrated. As you age, your body's fluid reserve becomes smaller, your ability to conserve water is reduced and your thirst sense becomes less acute. These problems are compounded by chronic illnesses such as diabetes and dementia, and the use of certain medications. Older adults also can have mobility problems that limit their ability to obtain water for themselves.

How do you know if you're drinking enough water?

Your fluid consumption is adequate for your needs if you rarely feel thirsty and your urine is colorless or light yellow. To prevent dehydration, consider drinking water regularly with meals, throughout exercising and when you feel thirsty.

Increasing your water intake may seem easy, but it can take a lot of work to remember to drink up.

Here are some tips for upping your water game:

• Flavor it.
    Add fruit to your water. Lemons, limes and oranges are tried and true. Cucumber, watermelon, strawberries and herbs also are delicious options.
  • Tie it into a routine.
    Drink a glass of water every time you brush your teeth, eat a meal or use the bathroom.
  • Eat it.
    Many fruits and vegetables have a high water content, including melon, cucumbers, lettuce and celery.
  • Track it.
    Invest in a high-tech bottle that connects to your smartphone and records how much you drink. Or set an alarm as a reminder and track your intake in your calendar.
  • Challenge a friend.
    Kick off a healthy competition with a friend or your kids to see who can meet their guzzling goal most often.
  • Take it to go.
    Drinking enough water when you are the go can be challenging. Fill your water bottle before you leave home, and bring it along on your daily travels.
  • Alternate your drinks.
    If you can't give up soda or juice completely, try alternating with water. Each time you finish a glass of water, switch to soda or juice and vice versa.
Follow some of these tips to keep yourself and your loved ones properly hydrated.

Liana Reiland is a nurse practitioner in Family Medicine in Mondovi, Wisconsin.

How much water do you recommend a day?

I have recently thought about drinking more.

So, what would you recommend? I’m 6’6 250 pounds. Yes, I know there’s Google, but that produces a hundred different opinions. IIRC, you’re a doctor of some sort, right?
Drink when you are thirsty. Stop when you are not thirsty.

How much water do you need?

Whether you prefer plain, sparkling or infused water, drink plenty every day. So much water does an average adult in a temperate climate need?

Mayo Clinic recommends this minimum daily intake of water:

• Women — 11.5 cups, or 92 ounces
  • Men — 15.5 cups, or 124 ounces
You lose water through breathing, perspiring, urine and bowel movements. You must continually replace your body's water supply by eating food and drinking beverages that contain water. About 20% of the daily intake of liquid comes from food and the rest from drinks.

Anyone can become dehydrated, but certain people are at greater risk, including infants, young children and people who work or exercise outdoors. Even mild dehydration can leave you feeling tired and lacking energy.

In addition, older adults are more likely to become dehydrated. As you age, your body's fluid reserve becomes smaller, your ability to conserve water is reduced and your thirst sense becomes less acute. These problems are compounded by chronic illnesses such as diabetes and dementia, and the use of certain medications. Older adults also can have mobility problems that limit their ability to obtain water for themselves.

How do you know if you're drinking enough water?

Your fluid consumption is adequate for your needs if you rarely feel thirsty and your urine is colorless or light yellow. To prevent dehydration, consider drinking water regularly with meals, throughout exercising and when you feel thirsty.

Increasing your water intake may seem easy, but it can take a lot of work to remember to drink up.

Here are some tips for upping your water game:

• Flavor it.
    Add fruit to your water. Lemons, limes and oranges are tried and true. Cucumber, watermelon, strawberries and herbs also are delicious options.
  • Tie it into a routine.
    Drink a glass of water every time you brush your teeth, eat a meal or use the bathroom.
  • Eat it.
    Many fruits and vegetables have a high water content, including melon, cucumbers, lettuce and celery.
  • Track it.
    Invest in a high-tech bottle that connects to your smartphone and records how much you drink. Or set an alarm as a reminder and track your intake in your calendar.
  • Challenge a friend.
    Kick off a healthy competition with a friend or your kids to see who can meet their guzzling goal most often.
  • Take it to go.
    Drinking enough water when you are the go can be challenging. Fill your water bottle before you leave home, and bring it along on your daily travels.
  • Alternate your drinks.
    If you can't give up soda or juice completely, try alternating with water. Each time you finish a glass of water, switch to soda or juice and vice versa.
Follow some of these tips to keep yourself and your loved ones properly hydrated.

Liana Reiland is a nurse practitioner in Family Medicine in Mondovi, Wisconsin.

Those intake recommendations do not take into account water intake you receive via food and are again very generalized.

Look at your urine and go from there.

Also as has been said if you feel thirsty, drink water. If you don't than don't.

What's the proper amount of water to drink per day in your opinion.

I've seen a ton of conflicting information on this.
The prevailing theory, and I know this sounds stupid, is to drink when you feel thirsty. Above and beyond that, an aggregate of 1.5 L per day is ample unless you are in the Sahara or competing in a marathon.

As we have seen though, some people like guzzling 2 gallons per day. That is their choice but there is something (real) called water intoxication. This occurs when you piss out all of your electrolytes, go into arrhythmia and possibly die. It is not something to be trifled with.

Personally, I drink 1.5L per day and as @Colonoscopy said, if your piss is light yellow to pale, all is good.

I've seen anywhere from 1/2 Oz to 1 Oz per lb of body weight. I do the 3/4 Oz method. 1 Oz would be difficult. I get a lot of my water in before noon. I'm sitting at 48 Oz already this am. I'll slow down as the day progresses.
You must piss more than a horse on Lasix hehe.

The prevailing theory, and I know this sounds stupid, is to drink when you feel thirsty. Above and beyond that, an aggregate of 1.5 L per day is ample unless you are in the Sahara or competing in a marathon.

As we have seen though, some people like guzzling 2 gallons per day. That is their choice but there is something (real) called water intoxication. This occurs when you piss out all of your electrolytes, go into arrhythmia and possibly die. It is not something to be trifled with.

Personally, I drink 1.5L per day and as @Colonoscopy said, if your piss is light yellow to pale, all is good.

Reactions: GOHOX69
So, that’s true regardless of body weight?

The last physical I had my doctor told me I am pre-diabetic. Does that change how much water I should consume? FTR, I have since cut out soda. I never drink alcohol or beer and am now just drinking coffee, water, and Gatorade.
If you are pre-diabetic, I would urge you to check your sugars. Feeling thirsty can be subconscious at first, but if you have hyperglycemia (high blood sugar), you will pee more and you will crave water since in essence you are dehydrating youself. Have you had your sugar or acetylated Hemoglobin checked?

In your case, what you have done with the drinks is good. Make sure your gatorade is sugar free. The real one is far from healthy and a scam. The amount of electrolytes in Gatorade are trivial at best. I can recommend something better if you wish. Good luck with your health.

And yes, hydration and body weight aren't per se linearly related.

If you are pre-diabetic, I would urge you to check your sugars. Feeling thirsty can be subconscious at first, but if you have hyperglycemia (high blood sugar), you will pee more and you will crave water since in essence you are dehydrating youself. Have you had your sugar or acetylated Hemoglobin checked?

In your case, what you have done with the drinks is good. Make sure your gatorade is sugar free. The real one is far from healthy and a scam. The amount of electrolytes in Gatorade are trivial at best. I can recommend something better if you wish. Good luck with your health.

And yes, hydration and body weight aren't per se linearly related.
Yes, please fire away with your recommendations.

So I've started drinking the recommended intake of water per day.

Approximately 1 gallon.

It's not easy but wow...I feel a lot better.
That's impressive. I drink soda all day. Do you have more energy? Feel healthier? I might follow suit northern.

I drink most of my water after 5pm. Is that ok? It’s when I’m the most thirsty. Cottonmouth kicks in around that time.

I'm pretty sure that's not actually the recommendation.

My understanding is that you should use the color of your urine to determine how much to drink. If it's dark than your water intake is too low. If it's clear you actually have too much.

It should be a light yellow.
I've heard that if it tastes too acidic, you should drink more water and less urine.

I have a gallon jug with me nearly everywhere I go except during the cold winter months. I drink the whole gallon almost daily, on most days I will refill that gallon and drink more.
I work outside, I’m a rancher, I feel better when i drink more

Coffee is a mild diuretic. If you drink a lot of coffee like I do, you might be slightly dehydrated. Compensate that coffee drinking with 0.5 liters of water.

I compensate my coffee intake with Diet Mt Dew. That's pretty much all I drink.

I have Beau's lines on my thumbs so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a heart attack or something in my early 50's and die.

RIP me.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I compensate my coffee intake with Diet Mt Dew. That's pretty much all I drink.

I have Beau's lines on my thumbs so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a heart attack or something in my early 50's and die.

RIP me.
Add some magnesium to your diet.

That’s just over 32 oz. That seems rather low, unless you are including other beverages and fruits and Veggies that include liquids and assuming someone is living a rather sedentary lifestyle.

Certainly not saying you are wrong; just seems low to me
That seems extremely low. I’d be cramping all the time if I only drank a liter of water a day. Plus I’d probably have a headache as well.
I drink about 1.5-2 liters everyday at work just sitting on my butt.

You need to dry mouth pre-workout....that'll make you feel like you could take on the world.

How does it help you lose weight?
Helps you feel full quicker/longer.. I have heard people that are trying to eat less say they drink a large glass of water before each meal to fill up a bit. Also, some people may mistake dehydration for being hungry, or so I've also heard.

Reactions: SI_NYC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT