ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

I think it is speculative to say “better options” but it is safe to say that they have a number of “options” that have at least equal potential. Iowa already has a commitment from F AJ Ediger. I am still optimistic that they will bring in a quality class.

These are the recruits I know of...

(HS 2021 prospects)

C Sophie Hart
F Megan Newman
F Alyssa VanTimmeren
F Kendal Coley ?
F Grace Hall
W Sydney Affolter
W Greta Kampschroeder
W Payton Verhulst
G Katie Burton
G Matyson Wilke
G Damiya Hageman
G Ariana Wiggins
G Laila Phelia ?

... I can’t vouch 100% for this list and there may be others not listed here.

Last edited:
I'll add some quick notes I've found to cyberhawk's very good list:

W Greta Kampschroeder- Iowa is in her Top 3 with Oregon State and Stanford
C Sophie Hart- L. Wade Childress said back on page 9 that she favors Iowa. L. Wade is apparently good friends with a relative of Sophie's.
F Grace Hall- Visited Iowa in November.
G Ariana Wiggins- Coach Bluder was at one of her games just before Clark committed.
W Sydney Affolter- Iowa offered in July
F Megan Newman- Visited Iowa over the summer.
W/F Bree Salenbien- Iowa offered in September.
F- Morasha Wiggins- Iowa offered in September.
G- Matyson Wilke- Reports Iowa offer. Don't know from when.

Sophie Meyer might be the key to the remaining class, as the only C on the list (6'3" ranked 43 on another site).

Looks like we have a number of Forwards and Wings to choose from. [Site 1 below is a Top 50 list; Site 2 is a Top 75 list]

Megan Newman (6'3" ranked 46 on site 1 but not ranked on site 2) is a tall Wing/Forward so she must prefer to play outside-in and not on the block.

Morasha Wiggins is another tall SG/Wing/Forward (6'0" unranked on site 1 but ranked #31 by site 2).

Kampschroeder is another of these tall Wing/Forwards (6'0" ranked #12 by site #1 and #37 by site #2)

Salenbrien is again another tall Wing/Forward (6'3" ranked #31 by site #1 and #63 by site #2)

Wiggins is clearly a guard (5'8" ranked #29 by site #1 and #33 by site #2)

Affolter is a SG/Wing (5'11" ranked #75 by site #2)

Wilke is a Guard but not ranked on either site.

Hall is a Forward but not ranked on either site.

Looking through that list - a lot of ranked talent, but many of the best players are all 6'0-6'3" Wing/Forwards who likely are listed as such because they play from the Arc facing up and much rather shoot the 3 or drive than post up.

Meyer may be the only one who is a true post on that whole list, so she's the rarist bird in the cage. Just guessing based on this information.

Sophie [Hart] truly is a “rare bird” among these prospects as much because of her height (6’5” according to one source IIRC) as her back-to-the-basket playing style. She would give Iowa a dimension that the others wouldn’t. She would arrive when Monica is a senior and could be the heir apparent in the post.

Assuming no attrition, the Hawks would have a maximum of three more scholarships to give in 2021 (in addition to AJ Ediger). I would guess that they would want to have a wing and/or guard and certainly would use their last scholarship if necessary on Sophie Hart if she were to decide to commit. With regard to the perimeter, it seems that Greta Kampschroeder is one of the more likely possibilities but I have really no idea about the others.

Last edited:
AJ Ediger scores 30, Hawkeyes fall to EK
By Dan D'Addona
Posted Jan 3, 2020 at 10:35 PM
Updated Jan 3, 2020 at 10:35 PM

Hamilton dropped to 2-4 despite 30 points and 16 rebounds from AJ Ediger.
"We worked a lot on post entry and that really came into play," Ediger said. "Liv and I work hard in the post and that is paying off in the game."

Last edited:
Reactions: crstuff
Thanks to all of you for keeping us up on recruiting. I like having some tall wings that can get to the basket and rebound and play defense, like McKenna Warnock.
I would like to know if Treasure Hunt," (her real name) has indicated where she'll enroll.

Reactions: Tunadog
Just from that video Stuelke looks like a combination of Warnock and Wetering. Elite athlete. Runs the floor extremely well. Can handle the ball, especially in transition. Good in the post, but can stretch out some and shoot. Uses her height and athleticism to block shots.

From Quikstats, it looks like she isn't a great three-point shooter yet. If she can work on that and improve he shooting overall, she could have an impact on both ends of the court at Iowa as a stretch 4.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I don't remember. Did the Hawkeyes recruit either of the Benet D1 signees?

Kendall Moriarty (2021) they offered, she picked Nebraska not long ago. I don't believe they offered Kendall Holmes (Depaul) or Brooke Schramek (Wisconsin) either. They have other players heading to lower level D1 schools too.

I noticed Jan tweeted Tuesday and Wednesday that she was on the recruiting trail to watch some “top young guns”. Coincidentally, [I read that] Holy Angels was playing DeLaSalle on Tuesday night. Also, Lisa was on at least one trip over the holiday break.

Last edited:
I noticed Jan tweeted Tuesday and Wednesday that she was on the recruiting trail to watch some “top young guns”. Coincidentally, [I read that] Holy Angels was playing DeLaSalle on Tuesday night. Also, Lisa was on at least one trip over the holiday break.
I happened to catch a few minutes of Bluder's call-in show and they said Jan was in Chicago last night. I'm guessing she was watching Sydney Affolter, as that's the only Chicago-area recruit I'm aware of that had a game last night.

Jan Jensen and Abby Stamp were in Minnesota tonight at the Chaska/Chanhassen game watching Mallory Heyer, who is a 2022 big and Callin Hake, who is a 2022 guard. Pretty sure Heyer is going to be highly recruited. Not sure if they caught any other games while they were up there.

Reactions: crstuff
Prospects Nation has expanded their 2021 rankings to 75, here is the latest list which includes Iowa commit AJ Ediger & a dozen or so Iowa targets.
https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2021

A write-up on some Midwest prospects including Kendall Coley & Sophia Hart. The writer compares Hart to Megan Gustafson, probably not the best comparison he could have used but still interesting.
https://prospectsnation.com/story/midwest-upperclassmen-standing-tall

Also found out Bluder was watching Maty Wilke play this past Saturday, she is a 2021 5'10 G.from Beaver Dam, WI.

Last edited:
A write-up on some Midwest prospects including Kendall Coley & Sophia Hart. The writer compares Hart to Megan Gustafson, probably not the best comparison he could have used but still interesting.
I hope the writers compare every Iowa post target to Gustafson, and add that "but only if she goes to Iowa and develop under Iowa's system".:)

Reactions: HIWILLE and jockos
This year, we had to replace starters Gustafson, Stewart, and Davis. Next year, we have to replace starters Doyle, McKenzie Meyer, and Ollinger. The following year, we will probably only have to replace one starter; Sevillian. That means we will have a very experienced team the following year.
2020-21 starters: Clark, Marshall, Sevillian, Warnock, Czinano.
2021-22 starters: Clark, Marshall, XXXX, Warnock, Czinano.

Having experienced starters with a strong bench portends a great year. I have no predictions (I thought we would have an off year this year), but 2021-22 could be epic.

Reactions: cyberhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT