ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

She has yet to schedule a presser to announce. She'll be on TV and the only player getting attention that day. We'll all know it's coming! You're confused and today is over. #notaninsider #badinfo
It’s still happening. I am told no press conference like Foster. Just a social media release. If not today, tomorrow then. Who cares when......it’s done. She is choosing the wrong team. Should commit to Fran so he knows what is like to get a 5 star. #solidinfo #jamupurass

The early signing period runs November 13-20. I wouldn't be surprised if she just waits until the signing period to announce, whatever the pick is. Seems plausible she'll just announce on social media without some big event given there's only a little over a week left to announce before the period closes.

I am not in any inner circle. I am just excited to be getting Clark in the fold and was hoping to excite the rest of those on the board. I could give two shits about being an insider. Some of you with your high moral ground about leaking information or betraying another’s trust. Clark is choosing Iowa and announcing it tomorrow........or so I’m told. When it happens, great!!! Great get for Lisa, Jan and staff! If I’m an insider, so be it, I will give you an address and you can send me $$$$ for this info. That’s a joke......Welcome to Iowa Miss Clark. Will love following you during your time at Iowa.

I'll take your motivation for what you state...getting the board excited. I'm in no position to judge others for the decisions they make.

Maybe it was your friend's intention to have you come to HR to share Caitlin's news. Maybe this is how Caitlin wanted to get her big announcement out to women's college basketball fans. You would know better than the rest of us how Caitlin and her inner circle wanted others to hear about her decision.

My apologies for suggesting your actions were inappropriate.

It’s still happening. I am told no press conference like Foster. Just a social media release. If not today, tomorrow then. Who cares when......it’s done. She is choosing the wrong team. Should commit to Fran so he knows what is like to get a 5 star. #solidinfo #jamupurass

Sorry if I don't understand, but what do you mean by "she's choosing the wrong team"?

Great news! Have to admit my theory was that she would wait until spring and see how the de-commit/transfer situation was shaping up before making an announcement.

Reactions: Tunadog
Caitlin Clark makes it official. Hat tip to @hawkbuck70 whose info on this was spot on. Should be an exciting few years.

Every year is exciting and this news is even more reason to be optimistic.

Iowa still has one scholarship to give and according to my records, there are at least two uncommitted players with Iowa offers. Do you think this is all or could there still be another one?

Dowling Catholic's blue-chip point guard Caitlin Clark commits to the Iowa Hawkeyes

Dowling Catholic point guard Caitlin Clark, a five-star prospect ranked No. 4 in the country by ESPN, announced her commitment to the Hawkeyes via Twitter on Tuesday.

The 5-foot-11 lead guard averaged a state-best 32.5 points per game last year, along with seven rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.2 steals per game.

Reactions: Tunadog
I'll take your motivation for what you state...getting the board excited. I'm in no position to judge others for the decisions they make.

Maybe it was your friend's intention to have you come to HR to share Caitlin's news. Maybe this is how Caitlin wanted to get her big announcement out to women's college basketball fans. You would know better than the rest of us how Caitlin and her inner circle wanted others to hear about her decision.

My apologies for suggesting your actions were inappropriate.
As you know by now, Clark has committed. The story around her recruitment goes much deeper and includes a lot that will not be shared on this or any message board by me. In the end, she's a Hawk. I appreciate the reply back, classy!!

Every year is exciting and this news is even more reason to be optimistic.

Iowa still has one scholarship to give and according to my records, there are at least two uncommitted players with Iowa offers. Do you think this is all or could there still be another one?

Dowling Catholic's blue-chip point guard Caitlin Clark commits to the Iowa Hawkeyes

Dowling Catholic point guard Caitlin Clark, a five-star prospect ranked No. 4 in the country by ESPN, announced her commitment to the Hawkeyes via Twitter on Tuesday.

I'm not really sure. In the past, Coach Bluder has usually kept the roster at 13. Theory being that it's hard to keep more players than that happy. With Clark in the fold, next year's roster will be at 14 unless a player transfers.

Alternatively, Clark's addition changes things. We have a relatively short window to recruit players who might want to play with her. If there's a 2020 player out there who coach thinks might move the needle, she might go for it, roster size be damned.

The 2021 class will probably be the big one, though. Ediger looks like a good get already. If we can get a couple other Top 100 players to pair this year's freshman and the 2020 class, that's a pretty talented roster on paper.

Any chance they get another highly rated recruit to join her? The other two recruits don't look like game changers.

Lauren Jensen ('20 Commit) is underrated in my opinion, great shooter with range and takes it to the basket strong too. Sharon Goodman much the same, the paint will be more open in college for her to operate and she can develop behind Czinano. Not sure what to think about Shateah Wetering, defense may be her calling card at the next level as her offensive game though developing has a ways to go.

The other offers for 2020, Leilani Kapinus would be hard to turn down but I think she has been looking elsewhere for a while now - just found she officially visited Minnesota this past weekend, also has visited Arizona & LSU. Emily Cavey (PF/C) out of Colorado is still out there but don't know much about her other than her sister is now at UNI.

Having Caitlin in the fold will definitely help recruiting, a name to pay attention to is Sophie Hart (has been mentioned here) a center from MN, strong mutual interest but will have to beat Minnesota for her. Bluder was also watching Ariana Wiggins (Heritage Christian) in Indianapolis this past Friday, highly ranked PG in 2021 (PN #14).

Last edited:
I'm not really sure. In the past, Coach Bluder has usually kept the roster at 13. Theory being that it's hard to keep more players than that happy. With Clark in the fold, next year's roster will be at 14 unless a player transfers.

Alternatively, Clark's addition changes things. We have a relatively short window to recruit players who might want to play with her. If there's a 2020 player out there who coach thinks might move the needle, she might go for it, roster size be damned.

The 2021 class will probably be the big one, though. Ediger looks like a good get already. If we can get a couple other Top 100 players to pair this year's freshman and the 2020 class, that's a pretty talented roster on paper.
Iowa just need to scour the hamlets along the shores of the great lakes for the next recruit. AJ Ediger is close enough:)

Any chance they get another highly rated recruit to join her? The other two recruits don't look like game changers.

So here's a quick synopsis of the other players in the 2020 class:

Sharon Goodman- Center from Crestwood, Iowa
I'm really excited about Goodman. I watched a few of her games in the past two state tournaments, and I like her game more than I liked Monika's in high school. She's a really good finisher--she keeps the ball high and is strong with it around the basket. She's also a pretty good free throw shooter for a post, and can run the floor fairly well. She needs to be more aggressive on defense, but that's true of a lot of high school players. I think she fits perfectly into Iowa's new 4 guard/small forward offense.

Shateah Wetering- Forward from Montezuma, Iowa
At the moment, Wetering is a really good athlete that's still pretty raw as a basketball player. She's still developing most areas of her game, and I doubt she'll be college ready in year 1. But if the coaches can develop her skills to partner with that athleticism, she could be a big contributor. It's not hard to project her as a really good defender and rebounder that can score a ton of buckets in transition. Her ceiling is even higher if she can develop a consistent 3 pointer. In sum, she's high risk, high reward. If she develops as a basketball player, she'll be a good starter. If not, she might not see the floor much.

Lauren Jensen- Guard from Lakeville, Minnesota
I haven't watched a game of hers yet. She has a reputation as a big time scorer, and her highlights show that she's a good shooter. In the playoffs last year, her high school team played against Paige Bueckers' high school team, and Bueckers held her well below her average. Then again, Bueckers is the top player in the 2020 class, and the two were teammates for a while in AAU. Playing with and against Bueckers shows she's already faced some strong competition, which is a positive.

Lauren Jensen ('20 Commit) is underrated in my opinion, great shooter with range and takes it to the basket strong too. Sharon Goodman much the same, the paint will more open in college for her to operate and she can develop behind Czinano. Not sure what to think about Shateah Wetering, defense may be her calling card at the next level as her offensive game though developing has a ways to go.

The other offers for 2020, Leilani Kapinus would be hard to turn down but I think she has been looking elsewhere for a while now - just found she officially visited Minnesota this past weekend, also visited Arizona & LSU. Emily Cavey (PF/C) out of Colorado is still out there but don't know much about her other than her sister is now at UNI.

Having Caitlin in the fold will definitely help recruiting, a name to pay attention to is Sophie Hart (has been mentioned here) a center from MN, strong mutual interest but will have to beat Minnesota for her. Bluder was also watching Ariana Wiggins (Heritage Central) in Indianapolis this past Friday, highly ranked PG in 2021 (PN #14).
So here's a quick synopsis of the other players in the 2020 class:

Sharon Goodman- Center from Crestwood, Iowa
I'm really excited about Goodman. I watched a few of her games in the past two state tournaments, and I like her game more than I liked Monika's in high school. She's a really good finisher--she keeps the ball high and is strong with it around the basket. She's also a pretty good free throw shooter for a post, and can run the floor fairly well. She needs to be more aggressive on defense, but that's true of a lot of high school players. I think she fits perfectly into Iowa's new 4 guard/small forward offense.

Shateah Wetering- Forward from Montezuma, Iowa
At the moment, Wetering is a really good athlete that's still pretty raw as a basketball player. She's still developing most areas of her game, and I doubt she'll be college ready in year 1. But if the coaches can develop her skills to partner with that athleticism, she could be a big contributor. It's not hard to project her as a really good defender and rebounder that can score a ton of buckets in transition. Her ceiling is even higher if she can develop a consistent 3 pointer. In sum, she's high risk, high reward. If she develops as a basketball player, she'll be a good starter. If not, she might not see the floor much.

Lauren Jensen- Guard from Lakeville, Minnesota
I haven't watched a game of hers yet. She has a reputation as a big time scorer, and her highlights show that she's a good shooter. In the playoffs last year, her high school team played against Paige Bueckers' high school team, and Bueckers held her well below her average. Then again, Bueckers is the top player in the 2020 class, and the two were teammates for a while in AAU. Playing with and against Bueckers shows she's already faced some strong competition, which is a positive.
Wetering and Clark have played a lot of games together and Clark loves how Wetering runs the floor. I have witnessed Wetering run left side lane on fast breaks and Clark loves to show off her strength. Jensen can flat out shoot the ball and should get some looks with Clark's up the floor passing and her drive and kick passes.

Reactions: libertyhawkeye
Last edited:
Cannot be overstated how huge the Clark addition is. She'll be the star player from day 1. Definitely important for next year's roster because Meyer and Doyle are both graduating guards, and probably Iowa's two best players. I don't know what the best backcourt combo will be but from the little I've seen from Gabbie Marshall, it'll be fun to see her and Clark bringing up the ball.

I do like that these next two classes have the #13 and #9 ranked post players in Goodman and Ediger. Depth there is even more important when you're playing top D1 teams.

Reactions: mphawk and JAMAM
Wetering and Clark have played a lot of games together and Clark loves how Wetering runs the floor. I have witnessed Wetering run left side lane on fast breaks and Clark loves to show off her strength. Jensen can flat out shoot the ball and should get some looks with Clark's up the floor passing and her drive and kick passes.

Yeah, another benefit of getting Clark is that she's played with Wetering and Megan Meyer before. We're building a pretty solid pipeline of All Iowa Attack players (Clark, Wetering, Meyer, Stuelke). Anyone know if their next couple teams look as good as the last few have?

Yeah, another benefit of getting Clark is that she's played with Wetering and Megan Meyer before. We're building a pretty solid pipeline of All Iowa Attack players (Clark, Wetering, Meyer, Stuelke). Anyone know if their next couple teams look as good as the last few have?
They have some good players in the next two classes, a few are ranked in the top 100 nationally. Iowa targets Sydney Affolter, Taylor McCabe, Stuelke (mentioned), Ava Hawthorne, Jada Gyamfi, Emma Ingersoll-Weng, and Kelsey Joens (although I wouldn't consider her an Iowa target).

I told you long ago, she was going to Iowa. She had told bluder 3 weeks ago she was going to Notre Dame, but McGraw said no thanks. I have read some of these comments and can’t help but laugh. This will kill Iowa’s chances of recruiting anyone who knows Caitlin. If she stays healthy she will become the all time leading scorer at Iowa. Just remember I was right.

This is my list of possible or public known offers for 2021...

HS 2021 prospects
C Sophie Hart
F Grace Hall
F Kendal Coley
F Alyssa VanTimmeren
W Greta Kampschroeder
W Sydney Affolter
W Payton Verhulst
W Callie Genke
G Damiya Hageman
G Matyson Wilke
G Katie Burton
G Ariana Wiggins
G Laila Phelia MND ?

HS 2021 committed
F A J Ediger

I cannot vouch for the total accuracy nor is this necessarily a hundred percent complete list, but there are a number of excellent players here with Hawkeye interest to fill a limited number of scholarships

Last edited:
This is my list of public known offers for 2021...

(HS 2021 prospects)

C Sophie Hart

F Grace Hall

F Kendal Coley

F Alyssa VanTimmeren

W Greta Kampschroeder

W Sydney Affolter

W Payton Verhulst

W Callie Genke

G Damiya Hageman

G Matyson Wilke

G Katie Burton

G Ariana Wiggins

G Laila Phelia MND ?

(HS 2021 committed)

F A J Ediger

I cannot vouch for the total accuracy nor is this necessarily a hundred percent complete list, but there are a number of excellent players here with Hawkeye interest to fill a limited number of scholarships
I'll add to yours Cyberhawk & note Callie Genke committed to Wisconsin Green Bay recently...

Offered...
Tiana Timpe 5'10 SG
Bre Hall 6'0 F
Mo Wiggins 6'0 W
Jenna Johnson 6'2 PF

Players with interest...
Katie Borowicz 5'7 PG
Jess Finney 5'10 G
Anna Lutz 6'1 F
Laura Nickel 5'11 F
Maryam Dauda 6'4 C
Chloe Van Zeeland 5'11 F
Meg Newman 6'3 W

Have seen Goodman a couple times. Could see her develop into a Hannah Stewart type player, which would be great for Hawks.

Reactions: cyberhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT