ADVERTISEMENT

We all agree Petras needs the pine, so you who ....

We know Spencer needs the pine, who is your choice of starters?

• Alex Padilla

• Joe Labas

• Carson May

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is exactly what's wrong with captain Kirk's thinking and why he can literally ruin a qb. He gets them so scared to mess up they are out there soiling themselves 😟
That's a perfect description of what I saw from SP Saturday. That poor kid looked terrified to be out there.

I think this might be why he and Tate used to bump heads. I remember one comment back in the day where Kirk expressed frustration that Tate would put his lineman in a bad spot because of how he'd run around back there. All I could think of was how that innate ability to run around and buy time was what made Tate special and different. Kirk however wasn't a fan of his improvisation.
Doesn't surprise me one bit that KF would have a problem with somebody not doing exactly as he is told.

That's a perfect description of what I saw from SP Saturday. That poor kid looked terrified to be out there.
He just looked broken to me. I felt sorry for him when I saw him repeatedly on the sideline listening to that guy with the pained expression on his face.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
This is exactly what's wrong with captain Kirk's thinking and why he can literally ruin a qb. He gets them so scared to mess up they are out there soiling themselves 😟
Let us not forget that Rick Stanzi, as a high school senior, was being recruited by Michigan State to play WIDE RECEIVER.

As a college senior, he was strictly a pocket passer and was viewed as an immobile quarterback.

We recruit guys with the capability of doing things with their legs. And we coach it out of them. The best ones (Tate, Beathard) didn’t listen.

QB was not the only issue last Saturday. Yes, Petras was bad but so was the OL. We have two issues that need fixing not just one. I wish I knew what the answers are. I'm not certain there are any except just concentrating on getting better.

I think this might be why he and Tate used to bump heads. I remember one comment back in the day where Kirk expressed frustration that Tate would put his lineman in a bad spot because of how he'd run around back there. All I could think of was how that innate ability to run around and buy time was what made Tate special and different. Kirk however wasn't a fan of his improvisation.

That's insane, if true.

Would it be better for the QB to take the sack, rather than improvise? I guess falling to the ground at the slightest pressure makes the Oline look good?

Tate would have gotten at least 21 with this exact offense yesterday.

Tate isn't walking through the door, but maybe Labas is similar.

It is kind of funny every once in awhile to remind people the number of posters on here who were calling for the 4star QB from California who broke all of Jared Goff's high school records to take over for Stanley. Just brings a bit of perspective doesn't it....

You can also go back and find poster that said Petras was going to be All B1G. One can find extreme opinions on any subject. My recollection is Banks, Tate, Stanzi, Stanley were well thought of by most. Manson, JC Christiansen, Petras have all had high numbers of detractors.

That's insane, if true.

Would it be better for the QB to take the sack, rather than improvise? I guess falling to the ground at the slightest pressure makes the Oline look good?

Tate would have gotten at least 21 with this exact offense yesterday.

Tate isn't walking through the door, but maybe Labas is similar.
He didnt want him to fall down. I think he wanted him to move around inside the pocket so his lineman knew where he was for protection. He didn't want him running outside the pocket where the lineman didn't know where he was. I don't think he saw the QB leaving the pocket as anything other than an emergency maneuver to be used only when the pocket completely broke down and no other options exist. Improvisation was not something to be encouraged

You can also go back and find poster that said Petras was going to be All B1G. One can find extreme opinions on any subject. My recollection is Banks, Tate, Stanzi, Stanley were well thought of by most. Manson, JC Christiansen, Petras have all had high numbers of detractors.
Yep. Petras flunked the "eye test" the first time many fans saw him.

My point being Stanley had his detractors, and it wasn't just a few extremists on here either. People wanted him replaced with a guy that had never played a down of college football, and NOW we see what he is. At this point Labas hasn't played a down either and yet here we are again. Hell, I've already said myself I'd like to see the guy on the field. What could it hurt right? It's just an interesting perspective, and something to think about. Thats all I'm saying....Mason is a funny guy to throw in there by the way. Dude played what, one game against the Cuse? He wasn't even an after thought.......

There are a series of propositions discussed. One is KF is a control freak that doesn't want the QB to make big plays. This is just ****ing idiocy. No coach anywhere from 9th freshmen ball to the NFL wants a QB that cannot make big plays. If someone really believes this theory to be true they should stop following Iowa football because you clearly will never be happy with Iowa.

There is a problem in the offense somewhere, obviously. BF is smart and has created an overly complex offense. It is also probably true that BF doesn't understand why the players don't get it. Or, it could be as simple as being stuck with a terrible QB.

Where I join the pack is the inability to grasp what keeps Spencer on the field. Saturday wasn't Michigan, it was a FCS school. The first time since Scott Mullen started I'd love to ask BF and KF what they see in Spencer over either Joe of Alex.

How crazy does this sound? Let's play Labas and just run the sets Joe knows. Maybe doing fewer things will help a young QB and OL play better. I think that would help.

Last edited:
At this point I’d take a converted WR that can at least move the chains with his legs

wildcat read option every time

Are you serious? Just put a guy out there without any knowledge of the playbook. And no time with the center. 😂

Playbook....

iu

Doesn't surprise me one bit that KF would have a problem with somebody not doing exactly as he is told.
KFz is absolutely terrified of risk. Somewhere in his history a coach, a mentor, a parent, somebody... must have beat the hell out of him for doing something off schedule. He's so risk averse it's absurd.

Last edited:
OP, OP of the other KF, BF, SP sucks thread, other OP of the same thread and so on and so on…. Blah, blah, blah

Ferentz needs to accept the fact that you need a dual threat QB most times.

What he's trotting out there now won't cut it unless you're happy with 8 wins as a ceiling.

You can't expect the defensive scores and special teams output that occurred last season to be the norm.
As long as the checks are clearing for him, Brian and his daughter's husband and they are doing it his way I think Kirk would be absolutely fine with 8 wins as the ceiling every year. Look how indignant he got in 14 with the criticism he got when that was the case 2010-14. He acted like the fans and media were ungrateful for wanting more

Ferentz needs to accept the fact that you need a dual threat QB most times.

What he's trotting out there now won't cut it unless you're happy with 8 wins as a ceiling.

You can't expect the defensive scores and special teams output that occurred last season to be the norm.
You don't actually need a "dual threat" You need better blocking and the ability to move around in the pocket to avoid rushers.

Sadly the only thing that will force a QB change is an injury. I have a feeling this will be like 12'. Even in blowouts KF refused to put Ruddock in to get some snaps and played Vandenberg the whole season which almost felt he was giving the middle finger to the fans who wanted to see if Ruddock was any good at the time. I could see this happen in a game like lets hopefully say Nevada where we are up big and he plays Petras till the very end.

I mean this sincerely, the kid that should be replacing Petras is somebody Iowa should have added from the transfer portal in the offseason. I don't know a single Iowa fan that thought Padilla was a lot better than Petras last season, and clearly he hasn't separated himself in an entire offseason.

SEMO's QB wasn't bad. He played at an NAIA school last year. His mom had to write a hand written letter to the coach at SEMO asking him to recruit her son. I'd rather that guy be my QB than Petras at this point, and no, it's not all his fault.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
This is an absolutely underrated post. The counter to this is Stanzi and Tate, who let it fly but also had very productive offenses.

However, the entire point of the offense is to not turn the ball over. We did that anyway being ultra conservative. Ended -2 on turnovers. But there is zero ability to loosen up and just throw. Petras has now gone his last 7 games with 1 TD pass thrown and highest completion % is 53.8%. Between the lack of time from the offensive line and his nerves are clearly shot (and apparent struggle with command of his passes) he's terrified to make a mistake. To be honest, an interception may litetally cost this team a game right now.
Tate was a 59% passer his senior year with 18 TDs and 13 picks. Would that be acceptable for this year?

What should be happening is that there should be more live drills in practice where it is allowed to hit the QB. I don't know they don't do this, but I assume they don't. QBs need to get the real feel in practice sometimes. As bad as our line looked Saturday, our defense must shred them guys in practice.

I mean, it sounds good. But, there's of course the problem with not knowing a single thing about Iowa's offense. He could just draw routes on his palm in the huddle though. Or run every time.
Apparently nobody on the team knows a thing about the offense, including the dumbass OC. He’ll fit right in.

I agree to an extent (I think that's what happens in practice)...but on the flip side to this point...Petras seems to have all the job security in the world despite his many mistakes and errors...no?? It seems that if you can show you know what to do (vs actually doing it in the game)...it is rewarded in this case. I think Petras *knows* what the reads are that the coaches are teaching...it is just that he seems to be awful in game at executing the play.

I think it is the opposite of being a "gamer"...where Petras is good in practice, but when the game comes he fails to replicate. And too many times I think KF & the Iowa staff default to what they see in practice vs game play...which seems crazy to continuously do it with Petras. I feel he should have seen enough game play to say it just isn't good enough to keep playing him...but we all know how stubborn KF is (especially with QBs)

Discussed on the Andy Staples podcast, incredulous that Iowa did not attempt to get a transfer QB.

Difficult to understand how a coaching staff could watch the last play for Iowa last season and think that Petras is the QB you want leading the team.
They did, they were not successful

Tate was a 59% passer his senior year with 18 TDs and 13 picks. Would that be acceptable for this year?

I would take that. It would be only 4 more picks and 8 more TDs plus a higher pass completion. The bar is pretty low.

We have already had threads on the development of QBs under KF.

With a bad Oline at least try a mobile QB. A statue that can not complete a pass will be ineffective. The Iowa staff should know that if they want to go with a big armed less than mobile QB a very good or excellent Oline is needed. What happened to the Hawkeye teams with dominant offensive lines?

Quick note: 61 of the quarterbacks that started over the weekend were transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT