ADVERTISEMENT

We had to put our dog down today....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
"Baby" was 13 years old. She was a good dog.

We had just bought Tradition Manor when she came into our lives and we had all kinds of work to do on our new house. The last thing we needed was a dog.

I was working in the yard and Mrs. Tradition (no pics) came home from the flea market (I know, ironic) with this pathetic little dog. Must have been the runt of the litter and all her siblings were sold leaving her all alone. She said the poor thing was shivering in a cage and she just couldn't walk away. She bought an FSU collar and leash so that I'd say, "Yes, you can keep the dog." She also said I could name her so I named her, "Renegade." That lasted about 5 minutes and Mrs. Trad named her "Baby."

Anyway, that started a long journey with dogs. Baby was a "Cockalier" (a designer mutt: a cross between a Cocker Spaniel and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel).

After we'd had her for a year or so, we bought another Cockalier, named "Buddy."

We allowed them to mate, and we did the whole puppy-breeding thing. They begat Boots, Bruiser, Lily, Peaches and Teddy.

Boots and Bruiser still live with us. Lily lives with a family friend, Peaches lives with my sister-in-law, and Teddy lives with my mother-in-law. Buddy lives with my son at his house.

We buried Baby in the back yard and had a little ceremony. She was all about Mrs. Tradition and wanted to be with her always. When she was young she could jump five feet straight into the air to get her attention. She got away from me one time when Mrs. Trad was way down by the lakefront here at Tradition Manor and she was like black lightning running down the hill to get to her. It was amazing how fast that tiny little dog could run.

She was also an escape artist because she wanted to be by Mrs. Trad's side all the time. If we were trying to keep her in the game room or whatever, any failure to fully close the door meant that Baby would be running around the rest of the manor trying to find my wife.

Over the past year or so, old age set in really bad. She always had allergies but became so itchy that she was tearing herself up scratching all the time. We tried all sorts of drugs and steroids that helped for a little while, but she basically just became allergic to her own skin. We finally had to put her out of her misery because she was never going to just lay down and die because the only thing in the world she wanted was to lay by my wife's side and to never leave her.

Baby was a good dog.

R.I.P., Baby. 😥

Last edited:
"Baby" was 13 years old. She was a good dog. We had just bought Tradition Manor when she came into our lives and we had all kinds of work to do on our new house. The last thing we needed was a dog.

I was working in the yard and Mrs. Tradition (no pics) came home from the flea market (I know, ironic) with this pathetic little dog. Must have been the runt of the litter and all her siblings were sold leaving her all alone. She said the poor thing was shivering in a cage and she just couldn't walk away. She bought an FSU collar and leash so that I'd say, "Yes, you can keep the dog." She also said I could name her so I named her, "Renegade." That lasted about 5 minutes and Mrs. Trad named her "Baby."

Anyway, that started a long journey with dogs. Baby was a "Cockalier" (a designer mutt: a cross between a Cocker Spaniel and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel). After we'd had her for a year or so, we bought another Cockalier, named "Buddy."

We allowed them to mate, and we did the whole puppy-breeding thing. They begat Boots, Bruiser, Lily, and Teddy.

Boots and Bruiser still live with us. Lily lives with a family friend and Teddy lives with my mother-in-law. Buddy lives with my son at his house.

We buried Baby in the back yard and had a little ceremony. She was all about Mrs. Tradition and wanted to be with her always. When she was young she could jump five feet straight into the air to get her attention. She got away from me one time when Mrs. Trad was way down by the lakefront here at Tradition Manor and she was like black lightning running down the hill to get to her. It was amazing how fast that tiny little dog could run.

She was also an escape artist because she wanted to be by Mrs. Trad's side all the time. If we were trying to keep her in the game room or whatever, any failure to fully close the door meant that Baby would be running around the rest of the manor trying to find my wife.

Over the past year or so, old age set in really bad. She always had allergies but became so itchy that she was tearing herself up scratching all the time. We tried all sorts of drugs and steroids that helped for a little while, but she basically just became allergic to her own skin. We finally had to put her out of her misery because she was never going to just lay down and die because the only thing in the world she wanted was to lay by my wife's side and to never leave her.

Baby was a good dog.

R.I.P., Baby. 😥
Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: The Tradition
Sorry to hear Trad. I lost my best friend Tilly 2 years ago and can understand how that feels. I adopted another dog a bit back. Her puppiness sometimes drives me crazy but I know it’s something you’ve got to enjoy because the old age of our 4-legged friends sneaks up fast. I hope after you’ve had time you can bring another pup into your life, not to replace Baby because that is impossible but for you to share your life and love with another pup that needs and deserves it.

Sorry to hear Trad. I lost my best friend Tilly 2 years ago and can understand how that feels. I adopted another dog a bit back. Her puppiness sometimes drives me crazy but I know it’s something you’ve got to enjoy because the old age of our 4-legged friends sneaks up fast. I hope after you’ve had time you can bring another pup into your life, not to replace Baby because that is impossible but for you to share your life and love with another pup that needs and deserves it.

Thanks for that. We still have Boots and Bruiser but they're getting up there in age, too.

Reactions: goldmom
Sorry to hear that, Trad. That sucks. FWIW, my sister’s (no pic) family had a 6 month old puppy (some type of Spaniel I can’t remember, but it is an elite level bird dog lineage) that got hit and killed yesterday. BIL is crushed. She’s crushed. Niece and nephew are crushed. My BIL was hunting and came home for something. She let the dog out to pee before work, he followed my BIL down the lane on his way out and it got hit on the road. They spent $2K on it I about shit. Then I about shit again when she said they are getting another one, the original dogs sister (same litter) already partially trained for $3K. He’s a doctor, soooo……

Sorry to hear
My parents had to put down my childhood dog about a month ago, just shy of 18yrs old. I showed up to help my dad bury him. Real tough time for all. They really are a family member.

Sorry about your loss. We’ve had to put down three dogs in the last 12 years. The first one we brought back from Iceland where we got her back in ‘94. She was a collie/lab mix. She was 15 when health issues caught up with her. After getting our house here in SA (TX) in 97 we got dog #2 as a play mate for #1. That dog was a beagle/mutt. About 2 months after #1 died we got #3 a 4 month old handicapped poodle born with a birth defect of the back legs (she hops and scoots on them). After #2 was euthanized due to a severe medical issue in 2011, we got #4 who was already a senior dog (around 8). We had to put her down last year due to imminent heart failure, she was 17. It was my turn to take the dog to the vet and I knew I would be coming home alone. We still have the poodle and are thinking we will be dogless for a while when she goes down. It is hard to put them down, but it is for the best. We have urns with their remains sitting on a shelf with pictures. Again, Sorry about your loss

Sorry to hear Trad, I had to put down Rascal a year ago, Miss him everyday, As has been said pets become family and it truly hurts when you lose them, My thoughts are with you.

Wives tend to be what my best friend terms "the queen bee" because all their pets through the years tended to gravitate towards her the most. It's not that he doesn't like them at all and he's great with them...they just all tend to follow her lead always is all.

As she goes through her days at home throughout their house, they follow her around like mom's their entire world. They'll usually do what I call "drive-by's" to him - almost like they've been told "OK go play with daddy a bit" - but they'll wind back up next to her eventually.

Funny how that works. And as a result, she takes pet losses VERY hard. She'll say "not getting another one for awhile", but my buddy knows he needs to find her one once the initial grief subsides.

We had just bought Tradition Manor when she came into our lives and we had all kinds of work to do on our new house. The last thing we needed was a dog.

Anyway, that started a long journey with dogs. Baby was a "Cockalier" (a designer mutt: a cross between a Cocker Spaniel and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel).

After we'd had her for a year or so, we bought another Cockalier, named "Buddy."

We allowed them to mate, and we did the whole puppy-breeding thing. They begat Boots, Bruiser, Lily, and Teddy.

Boots and Bruiser still live with us. Lily lives with a family friend and Teddy lives with my mother-in-law. Buddy lives with my son at his house.

Baby was a good dog.

R.I.P., Baby. 😥
My sister just put her dog down recently. It’s hard losing a pet. My sincerest condolences.

Very sorry to hear... hugs to Mrs Trad and a pat on the shoulder to you.

Sorry to hear Trad. Our good boy is 12 and starting to show signs of old age. Im dreading this day also.

Baby was a good dog.

R.I.P., Baby. 😥
Sorry trad. Not looking forward to the day our elder doggie gets to that point…

Baby was a good dog.

R.I.P., Baby. 😥
Sorry to hear that. We lost our dog Charlie about a year ago. It was a golden retriever we had for 11 years. The best dog in the world and I miss him every day.

• Sad
Reactions: h-hawk
Sorry, man. Totally sucks. Dogs are so awesome......just wish each one had more time on this planet.

Reactions: h-hawk
I feel for ya, Trad. It's the biggest problem with having pets--they're time comes way earlier than you expect it to.

Baby was a good dog.

R.I.P., Baby. 😥
Sounds like she was allergic to her food, maybe.

My dog has severe food allergies,. Took two years to find a food he could digest, a protein his body would accept. For two years, every six weeks introducing a new food… hoping. His breathing always labored, his skin always full of sores and bleeding. For two years I bathed him 5+ times a week in an oatmeal bath, constantly dressing his sores to keep from infection. Putting him down a nearly weekly conversation.

Then, finally, we found the food for him. Within a few weeks of eating duck, he began to breathe better. I will never forget the day I was bathing him and the look in his eyes changed, as though pain and discomfort were actually receding. He looked up at me as if to say, “I think I’m getting better.” I started bawling on the spot.

He’s 11 now and everybody thinks he’s like 5. 9 years of an extremely strict diet of only-the-food-perfect-for-him has proven to work well for him. Sorta like the Tom Brady of dogs, maybe. Never a treat, never a table scrap.

Sorry you no longer have Baby, Trad.

I still think you’re a piece of shit, though.

Sorry to hear. We had to put my wife's (no pics) dog down a month ago. Twice in the last few months I thought I'd have to put mine down due to heart issues, but the vet ups her meds and she's like new again but I know that day is looming when we can't increase her meds any more.

Our vet told us no one ever says they wish they had waited long to do it. It's always they wish they had done it sooner. It's the last act of love you can do for your dog

Sorry for your loss, Trad. They do become part of the family. We put down our Jack Russell 5 years ago and still miss that damn dog....however, i will never own a Jack every again.

Sounds like she was allergic to her food, maybe.

My dog has severe food allergies,. Took two years to find a food he could digest, a protein his body would accept. For two years, every six weeks introducing a new food… hoping. His breathing always labored, his skin always full of sores and bleeding. For two years I bathed him 5+ times a week in an oatmeal bath, constantly dressing his sores to keep from infection. Putting him down a nearly weekly conversation.

Then, finally, we found the food for him. Within a few weeks of eating duck, he began to breathe better. I will never forget the day I was bathing him and the look in his eyes changed, as though pain and discomfort were actually receding. He looked up at me as if to say, “I think I’m getting better.” I started bawling on the spot.

He’s 11 now and everybody thinks he’s like 5. 9 years of an extremely strict diet of only-the-food-perfect-for-him has proven to work well for him. Sorta like the Tom Brady of dogs, maybe. Never a treat, never a table scrap.

Sorry you no longer have Baby, Trad.

I still think you’re a piece of shit, though.
Holy shit, I absolutely lost it with that closing line. You son of a bitch, Rudy. 😂

It is tough to lose a pal. I am sure you guys are hurting. Time will help.
We have had a number of long lived buddies and after the last one died, we took a break. Then this crazy elkhound mix showed up on the front porch one rainy night. She is hilarious and has kept us laughing for the last year.
Y’all will find the next “Kid”.

Bummer Trad, that sucks. And its always harder to balance when to do it as their health turns and the quality of life is diminished but you want just one more day with them.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT