ADVERTISEMENT

We had to put our dog down today....

4edcf109d2ea269847b6655a6d574375.jpg

"Baby" was 13 years old. She was a good dog.

We had just bought Tradition Manor when she came into our lives and we had all kinds of work to do on our new house. The last thing we needed was a dog.

I was working in the yard and Mrs. Tradition (no pics) came home from the flea market (I know, ironic) with this pathetic little dog. Must have been the runt of the litter and all her siblings were sold leaving her all alone. She said the poor thing was shivering in a cage and she just couldn't walk away. She bought an FSU collar and leash so that I'd say, "Yes, you can keep the dog." She also said I could name her so I named her, "Renegade." That lasted about 5 minutes and Mrs. Trad named her "Baby."

Anyway, that started a long journey with dogs. Baby was a "Cockalier" (a designer mutt: a cross between a Cocker Spaniel and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel).

After we'd had her for a year or so, we bought another Cockalier, named "Buddy."

We allowed them to mate, and we did the whole puppy-breeding thing. They begat Boots, Bruiser, Lily, and Teddy.

Boots and Bruiser still live with us. Lily lives with a family friend and Teddy lives with my mother-in-law. Buddy lives with my son at his house.

We buried Baby in the back yard and had a little ceremony. She was all about Mrs. Tradition and wanted to be with her always. When she was young she could jump five feet straight into the air to get her attention. She got away from me one time when Mrs. Trad was way down by the lakefront here at Tradition Manor and she was like black lightning running down the hill to get to her. It was amazing how fast that tiny little dog could run.

She was also an escape artist because she wanted to be by Mrs. Trad's side all the time. If we were trying to keep her in the game room or whatever, any failure to fully close the door meant that Baby would be running around the rest of the manor trying to find my wife.

Over the past year or so, old age set in really bad. She always had allergies but became so itchy that she was tearing herself up scratching all the time. We tried all sorts of drugs and steroids that helped for a little while, but she basically just became allergic to her own skin. We finally had to put her out of her misery because she was never going to just lay down and die because the only thing in the world she wanted was to lay by my wife's side and to never leave her.

Baby was a good dog.

R.I.P., Baby. 😥
Sorry for you loss T. It's a cruel joke that our furry family members don't get to live nearly as long. If you want to honor him with a really cool glass blown star using some ash, lmk. We did that with some ash. It's really nice.

Sorry for you loss T. It's a cruel joke that our furry family members don't get to live nearly as long. If you want to honor him with a really cool glass blown star using some ash, lmk. We did that with some ash. It's really nice.

We didn't cremate her. She's buried in the back yard.

Sorry to hear that, Trad. That sucks. FWIW, my sister’s (no pic) family had a 6 month old puppy (some type of Spaniel I can’t remember, but it is an elite level bird dog lineage) that got hit and killed yesterday. BIL is crushed. She’s crushed. Niece and nephew are crushed. My BIL was hunting and came home for something. She let the dog out to pee before work, he followed my BIL down the lane on his way out and it got hit on the road. They spent $2K on it I about shit. Then I about shit again when she said they are getting another one, the original dogs sister (same litter) already partially trained for $3K. He’s a doctor, soooo……

Bummer. Sorry to the fam.

Reactions: TailgateTom
Bummer. Sorry to the fam.
Thanks buddy! They’re doing better today. They put a ton of work into him training wise and he actually kicked up several pheasants Saturday. BIL was super excited about his prospects as a hunting dog, plus they were besties. You know him, he doesn’t get emotional or super attached to much, but he was in tears. Felt bad for him. Dad actually called me and told me. He says on the phone, “JFC you’d think it was one of the kids that got hit instead of that stupid dog the way she was carrying on.” I’m sure you can hear him saying that in your head LOL!

Reactions: fredjr82
"Baby" was 13 years old. She was a good dog.

We had just bought Tradition Manor when she came into our lives and we had all kinds of work to do on our new house. The last thing we needed was a dog.

I was working in the yard and Mrs. Tradition (no pics) came home from the flea market (I know, ironic) with this pathetic little dog. Must have been the runt of the litter and all her siblings were sold leaving her all alone. She said the poor thing was shivering in a cage and she just couldn't walk away. She bought an FSU collar and leash so that I'd say, "Yes, you can keep the dog." She also said I could name her so I named her, "Renegade." That lasted about 5 minutes and Mrs. Trad named her "Baby."

Anyway, that started a long journey with dogs. Baby was a "Cockalier" (a designer mutt: a cross between a Cocker Spaniel and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel).

After we'd had her for a year or so, we bought another Cockalier, named "Buddy."

We allowed them to mate, and we did the whole puppy-breeding thing. They begat Boots, Bruiser, Lily, Peaches and Teddy.

Boots and Bruiser still live with us. Lily lives with a family friend, Peaches lives with my sister-in-law, and Teddy lives with my mother-in-law. Buddy lives with my son at his house.

We buried Baby in the back yard and had a little ceremony. She was all about Mrs. Tradition and wanted to be with her always. When she was young she could jump five feet straight into the air to get her attention. She got away from me one time when Mrs. Trad was way down by the lakefront here at Tradition Manor and she was like black lightning running down the hill to get to her. It was amazing how fast that tiny little dog could run.

She was also an escape artist because she wanted to be by Mrs. Trad's side all the time. If we were trying to keep her in the game room or whatever, any failure to fully close the door meant that Baby would be running around the rest of the manor trying to find my wife.

Over the past year or so, old age set in really bad. She always had allergies but became so itchy that she was tearing herself up scratching all the time. We tried all sorts of drugs and steroids that helped for a little while, but she basically just became allergic to her own skin. We finally had to put her out of her misery because she was never going to just lay down and die because the only thing in the world she wanted was to lay by my wife's side and to never leave her.

Baby was a good dog.

R.I.P., Baby. 😥
Sorry man.. I love my dog as I know you loved yours. It's a really tough decision to make. I'm sure you made the right one for yours.

Reactions: The Tradition
So sorry for your loss. They give us so much. They fill the chapters of our lives.

Sorry to hear your sad news. We put our Irish Setter down years ago and she was 20 years old. Her arthritis was so bad she couldn't even walk and was in a lot of pain. Somebody put her out at our house, and she fell in love with us. She was a great dog

We had to put our last OG dog (14 years old) down last month. It was the first time that we had to make the decision, as the others had been unexpected (lung cancer, anesthesia and heart attack). That was a hard day.

Is Trad capable of love?
You'd be surprised. I believe that most everyone is capable of love as disagreeable as someone may seem. Some moreso so than others. When it comes to dogs, that love comes easy because their loyalty and affection towards you is unconditional. That's the beauty of having a dog and what's behind the sadness upon losing them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT