ADVERTISEMENT

We need to bank 5 scholly’s each year to get players out of the portal. Not wait 27 years for a player to develop.

New age of football. Out offense has been stuck in 1975 for decades, but it’s sink or swim with the portal boys.
I still think a program like Iowa’s needs a balanced approach to player acquisition. There are no guarantees in the portal, and every year is feast or famine. Last year, Iowa added a lot of really nice pieces. This year they got jilted yet again by Paid-N Krocktor.

Iowa cannot rely on the portal to build their program. To fill immediate needs, absolutely, but as a pipeline, no way.

Consistency is established by retaining guys like Sebastian Castro, or Jay Higgins, or so many more I can mention, who buy into the culture and stay committed to the program.

That’s what Iowa needs to sustain success, but preferably on both sides of the ball and not just defense.

I still think a program like Iowa’s needs a balanced approach to player acquisition. There are no guarantees in the portal, and every year is feast or famine. Last year, Iowa added a lot of really nice pieces. This year they got jilted yet again by Paid-N Krocktor.

Iowa cannot rely on the portal to build their program. To fill immediate needs, absolutely, but as a pipeline, no way.

Consistency is established by retaining guys like Sebastian Castro, or Jay Higgins, or so many more I can mention, who buy into the culture and stay committed to the program.

That’s what Iowa needs to sustain success, but preferably on both sides of the ball and not just defense.
Just can’t afford too many projects taking scholly’s while plug n play players are in the portal.

Sadly, I agree with the general sentiment.

Sure, there will a few players who will pan out as HS recruits [IE, Cooper Dejean] - or international players that are early classes enrollment coming in [IE, Tory Taylor] - but its becoming increasingly clear that playing the "portal game" is where most of the 'immediate' impact players will be found for schools like Iowa.

I'm not saying they need to turn the roster over every year with it or other such drastic measures, but KF or whoever is coach can't be afraid or reluctant to use it to make the team better. Its a tool that can benefit your squad, so use it.

But use it wisely, please. No more Bacon Hills, pretty please.

Spot on! We can and should use the portal to fill glaring holes at specific positions, but it shouldn’t be the primary means to build a roster.

Just can’t afford too many projects taking scholly’s while plug n play players are in the portal.
To an extent I agree, but many of Iowa’s most notable players during the KF era were probably considered “projects” coming out of high school.

Dallas Clark, Robert Gallery, Bob Sanders, George Kittle, Desmond King, Josey Jewell, to name a few who come to mind.

Michigan St had a lot of success with portal guys a few years ago, after they spent a ton of money on a new coach, They had one good year.

This year they have 33 guys in the portal and got 12 new ones. We all know what happened to the coach.

Doesn't seem like a good way to build a program.

Ok Deon

Get It Prime Time GIF by California Almonds

Michigan St had a lot of success with portal guys a few years ago, after they spent a ton of money on a new coach, They had one good year.

This year they have 33 guys in the portal and got 12 new ones. We all know what happened to the coach.

Doesn't seem like a good way to build a program.
I think the portal needs to be used strategically in order to change the trajectory of the offense. It's been driven into the ground over the last several years and it's reputation nationally has taken on a life of it's own, becoming a chicken or the egg situation. Gotta have some success to change the narrative and recruiting, but success is difficult without better recruits. Getting rid of Brian helps, but the portal is necessary to overcome the incredibly negative recruiting bias surrounding the Iowa offense.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I think the portal needs to be used strategically in order to change the trajectory of the offense. It's been driven into the ground over the last several years and it's reputation nationally has taken on a life of it's own, becoming a chicken or the egg situation. Gotta have some success to change the narrative and recruiting, but success is difficult without better recruits. Getting rid of Brian helps, but the portal is necessary to overcome the incredibly negative recruiting bias surrounding the Iowa offense.
I agree. They probably only have room for a couple of guys tho.

I don't think your idea is far fetched. IMO 3 might be a better number than 5. Just always take the 3 best fit/available players out of the portal every year.

I don't think your idea is far fetched. IMO 3 might be a better number than 5. Just always take the 3 best fit/available players out of the portal every year.
I know this would change year to year if possible, but from which position groups? Ones with depth, ones that are thin, most need? Do they start the Sanders treatment?

thinking they could take an NFL style approach with portal. Obviously filling the needs but finding the position that was least expensive in portal (whatever that may be) and just taking less of those guys outta high school. Save the funds for immediate needs. Also could portal the positions that you haven’t developed well. So basically portal the offense haha just kidding… kind of

I feel like it’s worth mentioning that we effectively added players by getting our LBs, and DBs to use covid years and return.

Could easily have 2-3 schollies to work with otherwise.

How can we realistically leave 5 spots open every season?
It's going to have to vary by season and by need. Look no further than last night's draft to see what Iowa needs to do. It was totally dominated by QB's, WR's, and OT''s because these are the three most important positions in football today, and the three positions that Iowa hasn't been able to recruit successfully for years. Unless they are able to acquire these positions through the portal now and in the foreseeable future, the offense will continue to struggle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT