ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Depth Chart/Game Notes

Apr 8, 2003
GAME NOTES
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/hawkeyesports.com/documents/2016/8/26/Notes01_vs_Miami_OH_.pdf

Cqzb28nUsAAr584.jpg

OFFENSE

SE - Jay Scheel, Jerminic Smith
LT - Cole Croston, Brett Waechter
LG - Boone Myers, Ross Reynolds
C - Sean Welsh, Lucas LeGrand/Steve Ferentz
RG - James Daniels, Keegan Render
RT - Ike Boettger, Levi Paulsen
TE - George Kittle, Peter Pekar
WR - Matt VandeBerg, Ronald Nash
WR - Riley McCarron, Devonte Young
QB - C.J. Beathard, Tyler Wiegers/Nathan Stanley
FB - Drake Kulick/Brady Ross, Austin Kelly
RB - LeShun Daniels Jr, Akrum Wadley

DEFENSE

LE - Anthony Nelson/Matt Nelson, Sam Brincks
DT - Jaleel Johnson, Cedrick Lattimore
DT - Nathan Bazata, Faith Ekakitie
RE - Parker Hesse, Brady Reiff
OLB - Ben Niemann, Kevin Ward/Kristian Welch
MLB - Josey Jewell, Jack Hockaday
WLB - Bo Bower, Amani Jones/Aaron Mends
LC - Greg Mabin, Michael Ojemudia
SS - Miles Taylor, Anthony Gair/Amani Hooker
FS - Brandon Snyder, Jake Gervase
RC - Desmond King, Manny Rugamba/Josh Jackson

SPECIAL TEAMS

K - Keith Duncan, Miguel Recinos/Mick Ellis
P - Ron Coluzzi, Colten Rastetter

LS - Tyler Kluver, Jackson Subbert
H - Ron Coluzzi, Colten Rastetter

KR - Desmond King, Riley McCarron
PR - Desmond King, Riley McCarron

Things of interest to me:

Scheel starting over Smith
Keith Duncan winning the kicking job - Not sure I heard him mentioned before
Who is Ronald Nash??
Bower gets the nod over Mends & Amani looks to be coming on strong

Can't wait for next Saturday!

Edit: Daniels back at G after the talk was he'd be back at C.

Who is Ronald Nash??

Keith Duncan is a walk-on, true freshman kicker.
North Carolina kicker walking on

Ronald Nash is a walk-on, originally from Sioux City, spent a year at Iowa Western and then redshirted at Iowa in 2015.
JUCO WR walking on

Who is Ronald Nash??

Yeah. Most surprised to see Welsh back at Center.

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
Holy crap where did Brady Reif come from? I don't remember him being mention hardly at all in spring or fall and Anthony Nelson must be really putting on a show because they have seemed quite high on Matt Nelson?!

I do realize these depth charts have historically been relatively meaningless but all the same those are interesting story lines? Also Manny Ragumba being / with Josh Jackson? I thought pretty much everybody agreed and understood Jackson was our third best cornerback?

And Amani Jones being /with Mends....hmmmm Are they trying to motivate Mends? Did he get complacent after being the Spring "starter"?

Also Welch I know got mentioned a few times but he is an intriguing addition to the 2-deeps as well.

A couple thoughts…

First it's entirely possible this is reward for a lot of effort and a great camp by many of these freshmen.

Second I have to say I've been really excited about this class coming in regardless of where they ranked and I believe they'll go down as a great Iowa football class!

Third Manny I've thought from day one was a great pick up and going to be a superstar. I live out here in Illinois and there is a lot of buzz about him being possibly the best player in the state potentially! His upside is huge and the belief is he was drastically underrated! Maybe everyone knows this but his brother is a red shirt freshman walk on with the team who is quite an athlete himself at DB! Not saying he'll play because quite frankly even with the defection's Iowa has a lot of defensive back talent!

Fourth I thought Hockaday had been battling some injuries (he's another Illinos player I've been really excited about) and they were super high on Angelo Garbutt in fact I read many reports about how awesome he had been looking! Is he hurt?

Fifth the offensive line recruits from the previous two classes are starting to show up which jives with my belief that the last several classes actually have been, again regardless of the rankings, very good?!

Sixth Duncan I know had been mentioned but he TOO made a huge leap?

Seventh I also thought Daniels was back at center?

Eighth Ronald Nash has a great physique is he a serious threat to play ?

And finally I thought they weren't going to use Desmond king as a punt returner?

Can you weigh in on any of this Blair is there anything to it or just "Another meaningless depth chart"? I don't ever remember a depth chart being this fluid in the fall and they're not replacing scrubs either pretty shocking and has me even all the more excited!

Reactions: BigOHawk

Who is Ronald Nash??

Ditto on your comments. and of course Stanley a freshman QB already tied for #2. I hope they do not have to burn his redshirt unless Beathard is injured (God forbid).

I'm surprised how many true freshman are listed in the 2-deeps 7-8.. Last years class was a lot better then was given credit for.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
Lets hope that Mends takes this as a challenge, keeps a positive attitude, and keeps improving his game. We are going to need him and he will get opportunities on the field.

Also hope McCarron makes a lot of people eat crow by showing that he belongs.

This lineup shows me that Kirk remains serious about keeping the boyz on their toes. Heck CJ better not slack off, he ain't getting the Rudock (aka wish he was my son in law) treatment. :)

Last edited:
Nash is a good athlete. As a HS senior, 63 receptions, 684 yards, 3 TDs. 24 carries, 332 yards, 4 TDs. 3 KO returns, 160 yards, 1 TD.

10.84 in the 100, 22.10 in the 200 as a HS junior.

At Iowa Western, in his 1 season there, he caught 28 passes for 340 yards and 3 TD.

At 6'2, 210 lbs, he has the size/speed to compete at this level. While the Sioux City Journal sports writers are homers, I think that they were surprised that he did not generate more interest as a HS senior.

I'm counting 8 true fresh in 2 deep, amazing (Duncan may be the one you missed). Not sure if this sticks and perhaps it's a reward for a great camp, but anxious to see how this plays out.

As mentioned, Duncan must've had a heckuva camp because I don't think he kicked at Kids Day? I know they really liked him and has some very impressive YouTube videos.

Manny R. pulled even with Josh Jackson, who was singled out many times in camp. This bodes well for the future!

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
I think people are over-reacting a little bit to the depth chart. My opinion is that Ferentz wanted to put every true freshman he was planning on playing somewhere in the two-deeps. So, for example, if King or Bower went down, we'd see Jackson/Mends as opposed to either of the true freshmen. The Duncan thing however did totally catch me off guard.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Marion, good point, I think you are right. Roy, didn't realize that, thanks for the update.

Also interesting is Stanley is indeed even with Wiegers and Scheel must be healthy as he's beat out Smith.

Very interesting indeed. I wonder if Welsh will really be at center because in the last few practice pis it was Daniels. The Welch sighting was new. Very interesting about some of the /'s like Mends and Jackson. Although I know Jackson was recovering from injury and I think Mends has been banged up a little in camp. The Nelson/Nelson is interesting as is the appearance of Reiff on the depth chart. Excited to see some of the young guys play the first game.

WR is interesting as well seeing Nash and Young move into the 2 deep and Scheel take hold of the #1 job.

Dont get me wrong I love Bowers heart, just dont think he has the quickness we need to play the position well in coverage. We are more than stout up front and great run stopping LBS and secondary. I think we will really need that extra speed that Mends could bring to the edge at times.

Bower is pretty good in coverage actually. It was against the run he struggle so much his year as a starter.

Bower is pretty good in coverage actually. It was against the run he struggle so much his year as a starter.

He was alright. He was in the right position all the time but missed A LOT of TFLs that year if I remember correctly. I am sure he has improved though so coaches know more than me. I think you will see Mends and even Jones on the field some as well.

Reactions: fifteenandoh
Do we have a deep threat at wide out? Vandeberg and McCarron are possession guys. I know Jerminic Smith can be a deep threat, what about Scheel?

Tom/Blair- Has Josey Jewell been hurt at all this camp? My golfing buddy is from Illinois and good friends with Hockaday's dad. Hockaday's dad said his son Jack has gotten reps with the 1s because Josey has been hurt. I asked my golfing buddy when did you talk to your friend and he said 2 days ago.

I'm guessing it's just your typical camp nicks but was surprised to hear that.

Yes to the WR deep threat, both Scheel and Jerminic can stretch the field. Meerkat has enough body of work as well, see the Rose Bowl or ISU game from last year.

It will be interesting to see who plays and in what order. We all know these depth charts don't mean much. That said it does give us some fodder until next Saturday.

I would expect Sheel and Smith would play similar amount of snaps. Nelson's might be shown as slash if a change on third down pass rushing situations is planned for.

Special teams will be very interesting and will likely get some youngsters their playing time. The kicking battles may not be over. Maybe some of the guru's on board can give us a breakdown of the details on who plays on what units after the game.

Mends/Smith may be getting sent a message from Kirk to dial it up a bit. The Levi sighting suggests he's getting some reward for his efforts, but with the 5 best theory in effect I doubt if he sees the field much if at all this year. Manny R pulling even gives me a better feeling about our secondary depth next year. I was a little surprised not to see Fant in the mix.

This week needs to go fast as we're all getting ready.

Not sure if it was here or another forum, but someone said Manny R was one of the best athletes in the entire state of Illinois last year and had a connection to him. Also seem to remember him doing a pretty ridiculous box jump so looks to be quite the athlete!

Yes David is right here, Bower ran an awesome wind aided 100 in high school. And I suspect with Mends being semi-banged up and Bo being highly motivated, more experienced, bigger and better in coverage ?! I'm not surprised but rather quite excited that he has reinserted himself, it's a good thing not bad. Now with that said from a pure attrition standpoint I really hoped not too have three senior linebackers next year and as David said he was horrendous getting to the edge and getting caught up on blocks two years ago! Don't be tricked by what they said on ESPN it wasn't a speed thing it was it not knowing what the hell he was doing thing.

With that said I was at very excited about Mends shooting the gap and flying upfield for tackles for loss but I don't think he would naturally be better in coverage. Though I'm sure Mends is faster and more explosive he may even be quicker but if Bo has decent hip swivel he's obviously got more length and experience for pass coverage.

I was more surprised by the slash between Mends and Amani Jones quite frankly?!

Yes David is right here, Bower ran an awesome wind aided 100 in high school. And I suspect with Mends being semi-banged up and Bo being highly motivated, more experienced, bigger and better in coverage ?! I'm not surprised but rather quite excited that he has reinserted himself, it's a good thing not bad. Now with that said from a pure attrition standpoint I really hoped not too have three senior linebackers next year and as David said he was horrendous getting to the edge and getting caught up on blocks two years ago! Don't be tricked by what they said on ESPN it wasn't a speed thing it was it not knowing what the hell he was doing thing.

With that said I was at very excited about Mends shooting the gap and flying upfield for tackles for loss but I don't think he would naturally be better in coverage. Though I'm sure Mends is faster and more explosive he may even be quicker but if Bo has decent hip swivel he's obviously got more length and experience for pass coverage.

I was more surprised by the slash between Mends and Amani Jones quite frankly?!

Yeah me too. Jones must really be impressing them. Not too surprised though if you watch his tape. Kid can play linebacker for sure.

Hopefully the depth chart is more indicative of future stars than a lack of depth.

Reactions: td77
Interesting numbers of Walk On's in the 2 deeps. 6 on offense, 3 on defense, and 2 on Special Teams. You would think that there would be more on Defense than offense. Now offense does include 2 fullbacks, which is usually the case for that position. In regard to defense, it is a sign that we are signing better athletes which you need on defense.

I also think Marion Hawk makes a valid point when push comes to shove at least early in the season I imagine will see Jackson & Mends over the true Frosh now with that said I am super high on Jackson I can't believe Manny has displaced him if he really has that's amazing because I'm convinced Jackson is a future NFL player.

It would also speak well for Ojemudia on the other side and his advancement.

Also it should be said as others have mentioned David in particular I would guess Vandy is likely way faster than everyone on this board understands! Id say he can be a deep threat as well. McCarron I have no clue but I'd wager he's probably faster than the proletariat assumes as well.

If I had a dollar for every kid that our fans thought was slow who went on to run a pretty damn fine pro daytime Id have several hundred dollars!

Last edited:
Yeah me too. Jones must really be impressing them. Not too surprised though if you watch his tape. Kid can play linebacker for sure.

In that Spirit and always being baffled by what scouts and coaches see or don't see on film I was shocked he didn't have more offers. He looked like a missile and an absolute stud!

Per the walk on thing, color me in the camp that is rarely all that concerned about it... yes I get the implications but Wisconsin has consistently even in their great years had as many or more walkons than us and interestingly enough they oftentimes turn out to be some of the best athletes so I'm not terribly concerned whether there's walk on's are not walk on's! I personally believe it's an integral part of our culture and our success!

Last edited:
By the way I believe I've read a number of times that Brandon Snyder is allegedly an awesome athlete, plenty fast enough, very strong, quite athletic and honestly I wouldn't call Bo Bower a slouch and if I looked correctly and counted all the slashes I believe I see 7 on offense and five on defense not counting Hullet who is injured?

Nash was an athletic Freak in HS, played for a very very bad football program teams would game plan for only him but still put up some impressive #'s. If I remember correctly also a good basketball player too

Dont get me wrong I love Bowers heart, just dont think he has the quickness we need to play the position well in coverage. We are more than stout up front and great run stopping LBS and secondary. I think we will really need that extra speed that Mends could bring to the edge at times.
I agree with you although I will point out last year's starter at weak side was Cole Fisher, who was not especially fast either. As far as I can tell, the weak side backer does not have to cover a slot reicever much, as the wide/strong backer (Neimann) does

Reactions: David1979
Pretty sure Bower is actually better in coverage than mends....mends is a downhill "bring the hammer" type of player

Reactions: DarkThunder#61
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT