ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to Wrexham

BlIIlken2

HB Heisman
Nov 23, 2021
Anyone give it a watch? Just finishing up season 1. Damn feel good story. Props to R and R for doing what they have done.

Reactions: Torg
Anyone give it a watch? Just finishing up season 1. Damn feel good story. Props to R and R for doing what they have done.
Buying a Club just to make a show?
I’ve enjoyed it too, but it’s an obvious made for tv situation, and speculative financial move.

I don't see how professional soccer teams are a good investment.

Every team is sinking every last dime into being better then the competition. So where does the profit come from.

Only place I know is in the increasing value of the team so you can sell it for more than you paid. Before then though they are just money pits.

Every team is sinking every last dime into being better then the competition. So where does the profit come from.

Only place I know is in the increasing value of the team so you can sell it for more than you paid. Before then though they are just money pits.
Business losses are tax deductible. How is losing money on a team you own and love any different than a booster donating millions to a university they love? If I was worth 1B and loved a certain soccer team, I'd have no problem losing money on that team every year to see them win.

Reactions: BelemNole

You grow the profile, assets and value of the Club, then sell it at a profit when you’re ready.
Along with the other business, and entertainment benefits.
Wrexham would sell tomorrow for a profit due in large part to the show.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Business losses are tax deductible. How is losing money on a team you own and love any different than a booster donating millions to a university they love? If I was worth 1B and loved a certain soccer team, I'd have no problem losing money on that team every year to see them win.

Yeah if you are willing to pour money into it to show off to your rich friends, it's no big deal. But in terms of an investment, only makes sense if you are willing to wait a lot of years until you sell it for more than you bought it for.

I find soccer's cultural place in societies around the world to be much more interesting than the actual game itself. It makes me feel like I've got a healthy relationship with my teams when I know I spend too much time on them (HR) but soccer fans can be downright nuts about it. Very good docuseries, I'll be watching season 2

Ready for Ted Lasso season 3 too, they are taking their sweet ass time on that. I'm friends with Beard's (Brendan Hunt) aunt

Reactions: BelemNole
Yeah if you are willing to pour money into it to show off to your rich friends, it's no big deal. But in terms of an investment, only makes sense if you are willing to wait a lot of years until you sell it for more than you bought it for.
I'm not sure why it has to be a good investment? I mean there are Hawkeye fans donating thousands of dollars to a collective in hopes their favorite football team can land a few better players a year. Talk about a bad investment.

Isn’t the last part of your sentence literally the laymen’s definition of a long term investment?

I liked the show and am looking forward to the next season. From the sounds of it, if they get promoted they will have a much better chance at making money because they get more money from the league? Just having the series and the star power are going to allow them to make more money than a normal club.

I liked the show and am looking forward to the next season. From the sounds of it, if they get promoted they will have a much better chance at making money because they get more money from the league? Just having the series and the star power are going to allow them to make more money than a normal club.
I haven't watched the show, but read a little bit about it. Weren't they vetted pretty hard before buying the show to make sure their interests were in the club and not just making TV $$ off of it?

Reactions: 3boysmom
I met a older couple from Wrexham while on vacation a couple of weeks ago. They hadn't seen the show yet, but they're friends with the pub owner Wayne that is featured. They said that Ryan and Rob's involvement have had a really positive impact on the community. Apparently they used to only get a few thousand fans and now it usually fills up. Really positive impact that is felt by the residents.

Obviously it's reality TV that can largely be spun however they want, but it was nice to hear that it feels genuine and worthwhile to at least two residents.

Small clubs that feed talent to the bigger clubs make bank on the transfer. Actually would be a great system to set up for college football and NIL. Smaller clubs know they are not going to consistently compete with the big clubs so the contracts have a transfer fee. If the player is transferred to a Chelsea or Barcelona super club the smaller club that owns the contract gets a fee which is often a percentage of the next contract. Some clubs then realize their job is to train talent to be recruited away and they can do really well financially.

Small clubs that feed talent to the bigger clubs make bank on the transfer. Actually would be a great system to set up for college football and NIL. Smaller clubs know they are not going to consistently compete with the big clubs so the contracts have a transfer fee. If the player is transferred to a Chelsea or Barcelona super club the smaller club that owns the contract gets a fee which is often a percentage of the next contract. Some clubs then realize their job is to train talent to be recruited away and they can do really well financially.

I like that idea for NIL. Big dogs still eat but little dogs get theirs.

Ben Foster signed for Wrexham

Apparently Wrexham's first choice keeper was injured and will be down the rest of the season so they got Foster to come in on a short term deal til the end of the season to help "get them over the line"

He's old but they likely got an upgrade.

I am going to pick some other random lower level English Club. I dont care about some Hollywood dopes owning a club.

Tranmere Rovers maybe?

its kinda fun seeing these clubs on the FA Cup broadcasts. Their little stadiums with houses right there.

I am going to pick some other random lower level English Club. I dont care about some Hollywood dopes owning a club.

Tranmere Rovers maybe?

its kinda fun seeing these clubs on the FA Cup broadcasts. Their little stadiums with houses right there.

Fuking Debbie downer

The next season of Welcome to Wrexham is going to be fun. Wrexham and Notts County were tied on points with only a few games left. Wrexham takes a 3 point lead with a game in hand

Ben Foster is himself a youtuber and podcaster and apparently Ryan Reynolds agreed to go on his podcast after the season.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't secretly part of the reason why Foster signed for Wrexham. He had a few premier league offers on the table with obviously much bigger money that he turned down. Then he goes and signs on for a National League team from probably pennies on what he could have earned with a prem team.

But doing it gets Foster on TV as more of a personality and less as an athlete, gets his name out there and likely lands him an interview with a major Hollywood celeb.

Well, the writers for next season have an easy job. From the FA Cup run, the signings and the battle to the end for the top spot, it was no cliche that it was a Hollywood-worthy season.

They will have many other lower league players queuing up to sign there, and since many players at that level have 1-2 year deals and move on free, they’ll get their pick of who they want without breaking the bank. It’ll be a lot of work for their actual hands-on club management to shuffle pieces and get the right mix for Parkinson. But the level of play isn’t that much higher and there in L2 and there are 3 auto promotion spots instead of one. So I do put my money on them for double promotion. Once you get to the Championship you are then competing with clubs with deep coffers (where their kind of money is pedestrian) and parachute payments, and that’s where other meteoric rises have often died.

Well, the writers for next season have an easy job. From the FA Cup run, the signings and the battle to the end for the top spot, it was no cliche that it was a Hollywood-worthy season.

They will have many other lower league players queuing up to sign there, and since many players at that level have 1-2 year deals and move on free, they’ll get their pick of who they want without breaking the bank. It’ll be a lot of work for their actual hands-on club management to shuffle pieces and get the right mix for Parkinson. But the level of play isn’t that much higher and there in L2 and there are 3 auto promotion spots instead of one. So I do put my money on them for double promotion. Once you get to the Championship you are then competing with clubs with deep coffers (where their kind of money is pedestrian) and parachute payments, and that’s where other meteoric rises have often died.

That has been my view. I could easily see them in Championship in 5 years. After that the costs to put together a team that can push for promotion increase exponentially.

They are going to have to either bring on some more investors so they have deeper coffers to draw from or find more ways to monetize the club if they want to be able to get it into the prem.

Ryan Reynolds has been doing pretty well for himself on the "speculative financial moves" lately. He's not a stupid man.
Not hard to pump up the value of a low level team when you have access to a tv show and deep pockets to promote it.
He’s not stupid, and he’ll make a ton of money. And, it was manufactured success.
But, good for the town of Wrexham, they were lucky to be picked.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Not hard to pump up the value of a low level team when you have access to a tv show and deep pockets to promote it.
He’s not stupid, and he’ll make a ton of money. And, it was manufactured success.
I was talking about his buying and selling of Aviator Gin and then that wireless company that he flipped to make billions on. He used his own popularity to do it as well, but more power to him. But yeah, you can add Wrexham to that as well.

Actually, it seems the real goal for him is to own a major sports team, with the rumors being he is looking to buy the Ottawa Senators. He flipped those companies to earn enough capital to buy a team and buying Wrexham is giving him the experience of owning and managing a professional team so he can get the approval. He's either been advised that it would never be allowed to happen unless he could convince the rest of the league he wasn't doing it just to promote himself or he didn't want to do it and be a complete idiot with not knowing how it works. Either way, he seems to be doing what he needs to do to make it happen.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I was talking about his buying and selling of Aviator Gin and then that wireless company that he flipped to make billions on. He used his own popularity to do it as well, but more power to him. But yeah, you can add Wrexham to that as well.

Actually, it seems the real goal for him is to own a major sports team, with the rumors being he is looking to buy the Ottawa Senators. He flipped those companies to earn enough capital to buy a team and buying Wrexham is giving him the experience of owning and managing a professional team so he can get the approval. He's either been advised that it would never be allowed to happen unless he could convince the rest of the league he wasn't doing it just to promote himself or he didn't want to do it and be a complete idiot with not knowing how it works. Either way, he seems to be doing what he needs to do to make it happen.

He's an owner but he is not managing the team. He's what you want in an owner.....deep (netflix) pockets, brings exposure to the team and remains hands-off when it comes to the day-to-day stuff.

I find the different levels of football to be interesting. I had a chat with a guy that works for a U.S. Pension fund. They bought a team that was hemorrhaging a bit, Ipswich Town F.C.. They bought the team at a discount. It is a third-tier team, but with some good history. One of the main reasons they bought the team was the stadium. It seats almost 30K, bigger than some of the premier league stadiums (I think). You just don't see that much in the lower leagues. They were also able to get local boy, Ed Sheeran, to help promote them. Shirt sales have been very very good. Operationally, they are probably still in the red......but their overall valuation has risen. Maybe just a little bit of that appreciation has to do with Lasso and Wrexham. If they can move up to the next tier, the teams value will more than double. If they ever get to Premier league status, you're looking at a 5-10 bagger.

Wrexham got lucky true but there is nothing wrong with an owner with deep pockets (relative to the competition) coming in and investing in a club and community that could really use the investment.

Reactions: 3boysmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT