ADVERTISEMENT

Well, it lived up to the hype . . .

Marinelli gets tossed, most would go conservative...nope, he goes out and tries again. That match was a maalox moment. I have pics (not showing you bastards) of my wife with her hands over her eyes or head in her lap...she was having a tough time of it in both 165 and 174 matches.
Chief - my wife was with me too & her watch had her heart rate ay 148! Screaming & acting crazy! Normally so quiet. Iowa wrestling brings it out!

GTFOH. Going big is literally how he has been able to beat Joseph 2 times.

Cenzo is almost impossible to takedown below the hips. You can see that Marinelli attacks above the hips most of the time when he penetrates on Cenzo. Uses his standard post set up, but attacks in more of a high dive type of move than a shot. Very smart.

Furthermore, from a fan's perspective, I want to see those two do exactly what they did. I mean, I'm an Iowa fan and I want to see Marinelli win, but I'll take the loss just to see them wrestle like that. That was PPV level wrestling and what all of us, as fans, hope to see when two great wrestlers go at it. Marinelli and Joseph gave the entire wrestling world a gift on Friday night. There really were no losers in that match. And I felt the same about Hall vs. Kemerer. Hall came out the loser, but he let it fly, too. I was more impressed by Hall for continuing to try to bring it again and again in a losing effort than if he had gone into a tactical shell to eek out a close win. Just great, great wrestling by four incredible wrestlers and the fans of wrestling were the true winners because of their efforts on Friday night.

I believe Abe was energy/adrenaline zapped a bit from the jump. Props too Brooks who was stone cold in that environment. Should be a great rivalry going forward.

I think he let every drop of adrenaline go trying to hit that headlock (nearly had it). After that, though, he was a bit bewildered and frustrated and struggled to get his energy level back up. It also allowed Brooks to dictate the pace of the match after that. Abe's inexperience showed through after that as he didn't recognize how much time he had to ease his way back into the match and got himself in some bad positions which put him at an even greater disadvantage. He's a true freshman and he'll learn a lot from that match with help from coaches. It was fun to watch, though. You can tell those two guys are going to have some epic matches over the next three years.

Reactions: Gobblin
Appreciate the respectful threads. A lot of threads degenerate to stupidity.

Two great teams, Amazing matchups, surprises, big moves , the works. I think college wrestling has a real chance to break out. The viewership For wrestling is way up. I live in GA and was at high school regionals today. A lot of quality wrestlers. The kids all watched this match. It’s so good for the game. Penn state and Iowa is such a great rivalry. Throw in another team like Ohio State and Virginia Tech and North Carolina and OK St, and North Carolina And Cornell And northern Iowa. It’s really set up to be a really great product.

After Friday night, I would pay PPV just to watch rematches between Marinelli vs. Joseph and Hall vs. Kemerer. That is must-watch wrestling. I love watching MMA, but those two matches were better than any MMA matchups I've ever seen. The intensity was amazing. I didn't sit back down until the entire meet was over once Joseph made that throw and Marinelli somehow got out of it without getting pinned. I'm still exhausted from watching two days later!

This. Bull had the better position in the upper body locks most of the match. He just got too reckless and pushed forward/went for a trip in a 50/50 lock. Needs to get the lock advantage before making a move there. He had the perfect position a few times on the edge of the mat but Joseph got out of bounds.
What match were you watching? There were ZERO OOBs in the entire match. But, hey, you stick with that narrative.

What match were you watching? There were ZERO OOBs in the entire match. But, hey, you stick with that narrative.

I was referring to the lock that starts at 2:25 of the video:

They lock up upper body in the center of the mat, and Joseph got to the edge. His entire body was out of bounds with just Marinelli in. Then he circles in before they both went out. So technically you're right. That's the position I was referring to though where Marinelli had the positional advantage rather than the 50/50 lock when he went for the trip and got tossed.

Reactions: Gobblin
I was referring to the lock that starts at 2:25 of the video:

They lock up upper body in the center of the mat, and Joseph got to the edge. His entire body was out of bounds with just Marinelli in. Then he circles in before they both went out. So technically you're right. That's the position I was referring to though where Marinelli had the positional advantage rather than the 50/50 lock when he went for the trip and got tossed.
So, not "a few times," and not OOB. Not sure what you're even suggesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT