ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Dawson Wants His Hall of Fame Plaque Changed to the Cubs

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The National Baseball Hall of Fame is planning to evaluate Andre Dawson’s request to change the cap on his Cooperstown plaque from the Montreal Expos to the Chicago Cubs. Dawson has long believed that Wrigley Field and the bright spotlight around the Cubs helped energize and extend his legendary career.

Advertisement

That initial choice of the Expos logo was made without Dawson’s approval after the Baseball Writers’ Association of America voted for his induction as part of the Hall of Fame’s 2010 class. Dawson recently sent a letter to Jane Forbes Clark, the leader of the Hall of Fame’s board of directors, asking for a review of his plaque’s design, according to the Chicago Tribune. Dawson called it an opportunity to “right a wrong.”

The Hall of Fame intends to talk with Dawson once the organization actually receives his proposal, a Cooperstown official said Tuesday, and gets the chance to fully see what it entails.

“My preference all along was as a Cub,” Dawson told Tribune columnist Paul Sullivan. “I had my reasons, and I think that should’ve been something we sat down and discussed.

“It’s hard for stuff to bother me, to a degree. But this has toyed with me over the years for the simple reason that I was approached with the (announcement) that was going to be released to the press that I was going to wear an Expos emblem. I didn’t agree with it at the time. But for me, getting into the Hall was the most important thing.

“Over time, I’ve thought about it more and came to the (conclusion) I should have had some say-so.”

Dawson, who was drafted by the Expos out of Florida A&M University in 1975, spent the first 11 seasons of his 21-year major-league career with Montreal. The artificial turf at Olympic Stadium battered his body — 12 reported knee surgeries bolstered his reputation as a tough player — and the Expos have been inoperative since the franchise relocated after the 2004 season and rebranded as the Washington Nationals.

Dawson famously offered the Cubs a “blank contract” during spring training in 1987, telling the team to fill in his salary. This period of labor relations was marked by collusion among Major League Baseball’s owners. For $500,000 guaranteed plus performance bonuses, Dawson produced 49 home runs and 137 RBIs for a last-place team during that prove-it season, becoming the 1987 National League MVP.

Advertisement

That momentum carried into the next stage of Dawson’s career as an enormously popular figure in Wrigleyville. He performed at a high level for the Cubs into his late 30s, spent two seasons with the Boston Red Sox and kept playing for the Florida Marlins beyond his 42nd birthday.

Disagreements are part of what makes the Hall of Fame a more interesting institution. The debates over who should be in and who should be left out — a topic complicated by the steroid era — are part of the offseason conversation around the baseball industry. Greg Maddux felt more comfortable with no logo on the hat on his Cooperstown plaque because the Cubs and Atlanta Braves were both so important to his legacy as one of the best pitchers ever.

Dawson isn’t conflicted anymore, and he won’t be worried about any remaining Expos fans out there. His comments to the Chicago Tribune seemed to surprise the Hall of Fame, which is preparing for announcements next week around its contemporary era committee — Lou Piniella, Jim Leyland, Cito Gaston and Davey Johnson are among the candidates for induction — and the Ford C. Frick Award that annually honors an outstanding baseball broadcaster.

“I realize there will probably be some backlash, but at this point I’m 70 years old,” Dawson told Sullivan. “Do you think I really care?”

People know him best as a Cub. Statically his best years were in Montreal. The HoF usually asks who they prefer and he clearly mentioned Cubs and they gave him the middle finger.
Just weird they would do that to Dawson all while putting Bruce Sutter as a Cardinal who is best known with the Cubs and statistically a better player with Cubs.

People know him best as a Cub. Statically his best years were in Montreal. The HoF usually asks who they prefer and he clearly mentioned Cubs and they gave him the middle finger.
Just weird they would do that to Dawson all while putting Bruce Sutter as a Cardinal who is best known with the Cubs and statistically a better player with Cubs.
I'm a Cardinals fan, but you're right that the Hall is inconsistent in how they handle caps, and Sutter had his best years with the Cubs. He had 18.5 WAR in 5 years with the Cubs, and 6.3 WAR in 4 years with the Cardinals.

Andre's WAR still suggests he's best listed as an Expo; 11 years and 48.4 WAR compared to 6 years with the Cubs and 18.8 WAR.

I'm a Cardinals fan, but you're right that the Hall is inconsistent in how they handle caps, and Sutter had his best years with the Cubs. He had 18.5 WAR in 5 years with the Cubs, and 6.3 WAR in 4 years with the Cardinals.

Andre's WAR still suggests he's best listed as an Expo; 11 years and 48.4 WAR compared to 6 years with the Cubs and 18.8 WAR.

It's not necessarily best, but what are you known for the most. While he had hte choice, Nolan Ryan's best years were as an angel. But, that's probably the fourth of four teams he's known for.

Just my opinion, if you are one of the very few good enough for the HOF it should be your choice.
I think the player should get the choice, but the HOF should have some ability to veto. Whether true or not (Boggs has disputed), Boggs getting paid by the Rays to go in with their cap would have been absurd, but if he had a strong feeling between Yanks or Sox, it’s pretty defensible.

In Dawson’s case, he had most of his best years in Montreal, no doubt, but he did win an MVP with the Cubs and made the postseason with the Cubs. In my opinion, Dawson’s case would be close enough to justify either Montreal or Chicago, but certainly not Boston or Florida.

Reactions: lucas80
Wade Boggs ruined it when he sold his.
It was actually Dave Winfield that sold his to go in as a Padre rather than a Yankee for $1M. After that, there were rumors about Boggs and the HOF stepped in ahead of it and said no.

Me and my friends still make fun of the day when we came home from school and the cubs were on wgn (even as a fl boy, those were the best mfn days) and Harry Cary said awesome dawsom hit a home run and Steve Stone had to correct him that Jose Cruz caught it instead.

Reactions: cigaretteman
This alone gets him into HOF for the Cubs! Sutcliffe too! If Show didn't run off the field, Dawson would have killed him! :)

Awesome clip! My two favorite players growing up were Sutcliffe and Dawson. I even named one of my kids Dawson. Sutcliffe’s role in that brawl was amazing. I was such a huge Sutcliffe fan as a kid and a very small part of me died when he didn’t get the first official night game start as a Cub (game was rained out after 3.5 innings). Maddux started the next night for the first official game.

The HoF should relent. Its silly.
I love old time baseball fight videos just to see the names of the guys I grew up watching.

Reactions: hawkifann
Wade is hilarious. He’s basically a hippy now. And he does autograph signings for a fraction of what a lot of other HOF players ask for.
I don't have time to Google it and link it right now, but there's an awesome story out there about Boggs drinking something like 70 beers on a Yankees flight from NY to Seattle. Someone help me out with a link.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night

48.4 WAR?? Wow!

I think the player should get to decide, personally. Maybe the rules need to be changed to "a team they spent significant time with and had significant contributions to their Hall of Fame inclusion". This would allow for players to pick a team, or go in logoless like Maddox. They can include a picture of each team under the display as well.

I don't have time to Google it and link it right now, but there's an awesome story out there about Boggs drinking something like 70 beers on a Yankees flight from NY to Seattle. Someone help me out with a link.
I can 100 percent tell you that while each individual tall tale may or not be true, his reputation as a whole for out of goddamn control drinking is completely a real thing. He's famous at the hotel I used to work at. There's a huge annual MLB event that you all have heard of, so he's usually around for that and it's a RAMPAGE for Boggs. As it's the high end place in town as well as the host venue, the baseball and TV people all stay there, they do the celebrity treatment and have on call attendants provided for them. The amount of 30 packs of miller lite hand delivered to his room are completely astonishing. And at some point he ultimately will emerge wasted and cause a disturbance in the bar and the lobby. Definition of a bull in a china shop. One time he accused someone in the bar of stealing his phone and completely lost it and ran around shoving flower planters over and screaming in the lobby. Turns out he left it at the previous bar before wandering back to the hotel.

But the next day he gets breakfast and is totally cool and apologizes for any disturbance he may have caused.

Reactions: Igor Stravinsky10
Awesome clip! My two favorite players growing up were Sutcliffe and Dawson. I even named one of my kids Dawson. Sutcliffe’s role in that brawl was amazing. I was such a huge Sutcliffe fan as a kid and a very small part of me died when he didn’t get the first official night game start as a Cub (game was rained out after 3.5 innings). Maddux started the next night for the first official game.

• Love
Reactions: cubsMDdmb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT