ADVERTISEMENT

Well that sucked...

Iowa can't afford to bring Krikke off the bench, he's out their for his offense only and who else would you start in his place, Brauns or Patrick, sure....Ben is finding out this is not the Missouri Valley and every night he's going against players much taller and better rebounders then he could ever imagine. At home he's going to be a different player then on the road but I questioned why he was taken off the portal and he hasn't disappointed me. I'm glad this year is his last.
Patrick shouldn't be getting more then a few minutes a game unless he scores a three or a dunk in the first few minutes of a game, other wise he provides nothing, his presents at the point of the press is a waste of time and he avoids contact like the plague, he can't even close out on a shooter soon enough to alter a shot and the word rebound has no meaning to him. This is his 5th year at Iowa and he's gotten worse during the last 2 years....hope he doesn't take his Covid year next year, I'm ready to see someone else take his place on the roster.
Cooper Koch can't get at Iowa soon enough for me.
When Krikke can’t score he’s a big negative. Both Dembele and Brauns give you better defense and rebounding. Scoring is not our issue anyway. I also like when we play a 3 guard lineup.

I watched the game. Passionately. Hawks showed a lot of resilience. I like the trend of this team and the way Perkins and Sandy are playing. Dembele and Harding played well. Winning on the road is always tough. I think have a good shit to win our next 4.
A voice of reason. Thank you.

I‘m a Krikke fan but he was horrible tonight. I‘m a Payton fan but he‘s no Caitlin. Perkins was our only positive tonight and that just wasn‘t enough.
I feel terrible for Patrick but the truth is that we thought he would be a team MVP when he joined the team. Maybe he was overrated, or maybe the outside distractions affected his game (my position) but he adds nothing to the team.
Payton kept us in the game (along with saucy). Dix was decent and not much else for scoring from rest of groip. Harding has his flaws but he can get guys easy buckets, could use more of him.

Reactions: skydog0784
I'm to the point that I think this should be our starting lineup for the rest of the season:
  1. Harding
  2. Perkins
  3. Dix
  4. Payton
  5. Freeman
Dembele, Krikke, and Bowen as top (and almost exclusive) 3 off the bench.
I am not opposed to this. Against bigger teams, Freeman will be ripe for foul trouble. I guess no diff than Krikke in there, like now, but we could adjust based on matchups.

I'm to the point that I think this should be our starting lineup for the rest of the season:
  1. Harding
  2. Perkins
  3. Dix
  4. Payton
  5. Freeman
I think it's as simple as not playing PMac at all, and a lot of the lineup and match-up issues go away.

Last edited:
Thank God for Caitlin Clark! I've never enjoyed watching women's basketball... at all... but I'm really enjoying watching them when she plays. At least it gives me a chance to enjoy basketball right now, because watching the men's team play usually ends in frustration! It's gonna suck when she's gone!

We aren't not a good team either
Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

Like I said in the game thread, Fran threw the game when he put his son in with 3 minutes to go.
I wouldn't go that far but at this point PMAC offers nothing.

Stat line

19 Mins 0 pts 3 rebs (2 were on missed free throws) 0 assists.....and my pet peeve 1 foul. He's more interested in getting out of the way than actually playing defense.

He had no business being in at the end of the game. Kudos on the awesome inbound to Payton. He can be our designated inbounder....

With about 40 seconds left Indiana missed a 3...while Harding and Krikke tried to get the rebound our 6'9 forward who was in the lane started jogging down court. Indiana gets the o rebound and putback.

I feel for the kid but at this point he's a net negative on the court.

Getting Ware back was a game changer for IU.
Losing Reneau kind of cancelled out that edge but ware is the type of long big we cannot match up with. Too big for Owen.
Looked like X Johnson might have broke his arm on that fall. IU will struggle vs teams better than us.

We have struggled vs opposing true bigs....reese of MD,Edey of PU,crowl of Wis,guy for ISU, now Ware.
If Mulvey is going to be worth the scholly could he not help vs these 7fters after 3 years in the program?

Krikke had good open looks again but has gone cold. Freeman might be getting worn down trying to do everything for this team in the paint on both ends.

We need another Tony type guard to take guys off the dribble.
That drought that basically lost the game for us showed how dependent on Tony we are.
I do shudder to think about next year without Tony.

Dix has been in a good groove so wonder if he got dinged up last nite...hope not.

We seem to lose the close games this year.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
Seems Fran is good for 1 maybe 2 “good@ years out of 4 and then it’s full blown rebuild. Been lucky with some amazing players to carry some bad teams but this year is just all around bad.
Mens bball isn’t a top 3 sport at Iowa, Fran can get by with mediocre/average years

Seems Fran is good for 1 maybe 2 “good@ years out of 4 and then it’s full blown rebuild. Been lucky with some amazing players to carry some bad teams but this year is just all around bad.
Mens bball isn’t a top 3 sport at Iowa, Fran can get by with mediocre/average years

Not just Fran, that's Iowa sports in general and I think it's tied to the recruiting,.. Basketball or football, pretty decent team every 3-4 years, other than that its a re-building exercise.

Getting Ware back was a game changer for IU.
Losing Reneau kind of cancelled out that edge but ware is the type of long big we cannot match up with. Too big for Owen.
Looked like X Johnson might have broke his arm on that fall. IU will struggle vs teams better than us.

We have struggled vs opposing true bigs....reese of MD,Edey of PU,crowl of Wis,guy for ISU, now Ware.
If Mulvey is going to be worth the scholly could he not help vs these 7fters after 3 years in the program?

Krikke had good open looks again but has gone cold. Freeman might be getting worn down trying to do everything for this team in the paint on both ends.

We need another Tony type guard to take guys off the dribble.
That drought that basically lost the game for us showed how dependent on Tony we are.
I do shudder to think about next year without Tony.

Dix has been in a good groove so wonder if he got dinged up last nite...hope not.

We seem to lose the close games EVERY year.
FIFY

Not just Fran, that's Iowa sports in general and I think it's tied to the recruiting,.. Basketball or football, pretty decent team every 3-4 years, other than that its a re-building exercise.
I can agree with the fball tho it seems their floor is higher than the bball. When bball is bad it’s under the basement, KF at least keeps fball relevant ish at times

Iowa can't afford to bring Krikke off the bench, he's out their for his offense only and who else would you start in his place, Brauns or Patrick, sure....Ben is finding out this is not the Missouri Valley and every night he's going against players much taller and better rebounders then he could ever imagine. At home he's going to be a different player then on the road but I questioned why he was taken off the portal and he hasn't disappointed me. I'm glad this year is his last.
Patrick shouldn't be getting more then a few minutes a game unless he scores a three or a dunk in the first few minutes of a game, other wise he provides nothing, his presents at the point of the press is a waste of time and he avoids contact like the plague, he can't even close out on a shooter soon enough to alter a shot and the word rebound has no meaning to him. This is his 5th year at Iowa and he's gotten worse during the last 2 years....hope he doesn't take his Covid year next year, I'm ready to see someone else take his place on the roster.
Cooper Koch can't get at Iowa soon enough for me.

Krikkes last 4 gamesL 4/9 2 rebounds, 3/11 4 rebounds, 2/8 4 rebounds, 1/9 3 rebounds. So roughly 27% from the field and 4.25 rebounds per game and he is a matador on defense,

I know Dimbele is rough but he will get better. So more minutes for Dimbele at PF and some 3-guard lineups with Sandfort at PF. Cut Krikke minutes from 30 minutes to 15. Motivate him with bench time-he isn't rebounding or playing defense at B1G level adn B1G coaches apparently have noticed he mostly can only finish with left hand.

Sandfort and Perkins are playing at All B1G level recently. I am really impressed with Dix. Freeman is All Freshman. So we seem to have 4 good/really good at times starters. There seems to be more gas in the tank than what our record suggests. We obviously blew Michigan at home, Maryland at home, and Indiana on road. We should have gotten 1 or 2 more wins in B1G so far.

Next year Koch arrives and Canada PF. We get a lot tougher up front. Where are the guards? If Perkins leaves we don't have much in guard court. Harding too small/weak physically to ever go out and bull his way to basket like Perkins can do. Another 0.500 B1G year and DOA in NCAA tourney if we make it because defense is not valued and Fran's guard recruiting not strong suit.

This team needs Perkins back next year. Good thing is I see him coming back as a win win for both sides. Of course Perkins may also drop his name in the NIL draft for a one year deal to the highest bidder.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
This team needs Perkins back next year. Good thing is I see him coming back as a win win for both sides. Of course Perkins may also drop his name in the NIL draft for a one year deal to the highest bidder.
He's a senior. Does he get an optional covid year or something?

1. Harding
  2. Perkins
  3. Dix
  4. Payton
  5. Freeman
I'm guessing this is the 2024-25 starting 5 unless Dembele improves or Koch is ready day 1, so at least we have that to look forward to.

Like I said in the game thread, Fran threw the game when he put his son in with 3 minutes to go.
Nah. Iowa lost because their starting frontcourt was absolutely manhandled and dominated from the beginning to the end. Krikke and Freeman were a combined 3-12 for 6 points and 5 rebounds. Krikke was brutal missing lots of open mid range shots that he'd normally hit at a +60% clip. Meanwhile their starting center had a field day going 8-10 for 23 points and 10 rebounds.

Last edited:

Stat line

19 Mins 0 pts 3 rebs (2 were on missed free throws) 0 assists.....and my pet peeve 1 foul. He's more interested in getting out of the way than actually playing defense.

He had no business being in at the end of the game. Kudos on the awesome inbound to Payton. He can be our designated inbounder....

With about 40 seconds left Indiana missed a 3...while Harding and Krikke tried to get the rebound our 6'9 forward who was in the lane started jogging down court. Indiana gets the o rebound and putback.

He just doesn't like to mix it up, when he's out there at a position where it requires him to mix it up. That's my read on Patrick. He's not a good fit for this team, for this conference. He probably could have been quite successful in the Missouri Valley. But he didn't really have a choice, did he?

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I don't think Beth is going to put up with this crap. Hopefully she can convince him to take a reasonable buyout ,retire and watch Jack play somewhere.

A great second half coming back from down 17 on the road. Had multiple leads in the 2nd. Went up 3 and then back down 3.

Bugaboo strikes again with a lack of rebounding. Absolutely killed us.

Unfortunately, close doesn't count for anything.

Closest to the hole will win you a prize in a gold outing.

Dembele is improving his defense and rebounding. He needs to stop shooting anywhere beyond about 10-12 feet until he can make them at a 40% rate. I am pretty sure he made 1 or 2 threes early in the year and nothing since then.

Stat line

Someone mentioned playing "bully ball" against Patrick - I didn't see much of the game last night, but Maryland defenders were all up in his jock whenever he got the ball (which was rare).......It was 4 on 5 when Iowa had the ball on the offensive side...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT