ADVERTISEMENT

Well, the other Canada truck protest thread turned into a complete trainwreck, so let's start over....

Almost all of them depending on the situation.

Did you know Gen Washington required inoculation against smallpox in order to serve in the continental army?

George Washington also ordered soldiers to be executed without due process.

Let's not get carried away with pre-constitutional precedents...

Reactions: naturalbornhawk
These truckers are truly amazing. They are all acting in unison, staying inside the lines, holding back and letting cooler heads prevail in every instance I've seen.

The honking has now stopped at the request of the government, so the olive branch has been extended. Nobody's leaving. External truckers from all over Alaska, Canada, US borders are showing their support in different ways. The City of Ottawa has asked the Feds to send a rep and negotiate with the truckers. The Feds have the next move.

These truckers are truly amazing. They are all acting in unison, staying inside the lines, holding back and letting cooler heads prevail in every instance I've seen.

The honking has now stopped at the request of the government, so the olive branch has been extended. Nobody's leaving. External truckers from all over Alaska, Canada, US borders are showing their support in different ways. The City of Ottawa has asked the Feds to send a rep and negotiate with the truckers. The Feds have the next move.

i will say it’s been nice to see so much support for organized labor.

The real irony here is that you, Owens and a bunch of other Americans have volunteered your support on the side of a labor in a dispute in a foreign country.
Tell me about Trudeau's support for the blockade in Venezuela and probably Cuba and any other state its master, Washington, tells him to support.

Tell me about Trudeau's support for the blockade in Venezuela and probably Cuba and any other state its master, Washington, tells him to support.
Why? I'm not defending Justin Trudeau or anything going on in Canada. I'm simply criticizing an American provocateur that gets paid handsomely to push dialog into a more extreme and absolutist direction.

George Washington also ordered soldiers to be executed without due process.

Let's not get carried away with pre-constitutional precedents...
Heck his GW argument was an afterthought for me, and he didn't need to go back that far in my opinion. It was the freest government in the world that JB has been able to get away with vaccine mandates. If people would argue that that's not technically "Empowering a government to inject people against their will", I think it's pretty obvious that's where we were headed if the frog was left to continue to heat up to a boil.

(CNN)Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday implored protesters to end their demonstration that has blocked roads and disrupted life across the country for more than a week.

"Individuals are trying to blockade our economy, our democracy, and our fellow citizens' daily lives. It has to stop," Trudeau said in parliament, his first public appearance since testing positive for Covid-19.

Sparked by truckers who drove into the heart of Ottawa on January 29 to protest new coronavirus vaccine and testing rules, more demonstrations with trucks left idling in roads sprouted over the weekend.

The demonstrations began as an objection to a vaccine mandate requiring truckers entering Canada to either be fully vaccinated or face testing and quarantine requirements. Other protesters then joined to rail against mask mandates, lockdowns, restrictions on gatherings and other Covid-19 preventative efforts.

"The whole event has gone beyond just vaccines, and it is now about the entire ordeal," protester James MacDonald told CNN, adding he's been in Ottawa since last weekend and has no plan to leave until health measures are dropped.

Canada has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, with about 4 in every 5 Canadians fully vaccinated, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

In Toronto, trucks blocked a major intersection for hours, impeding emergency responders. Protests also erupted in Winnipeg, Vancouver and Quebec City.

On Monday, traffic at the busiest US-Canada border crossing was interrupted. Canada's Windsor Police were advising travelers to avoid the Ambassador Bridge crossing and use the Windsor-Detroit Tunnel or Blue Water Bridge instead.

Earlier Monday, Windsor Police posted a photo to its Twitter account showing a long line of trucks appearing to be at a standstill.

Trucks and hundreds of protesters on Monday still occupied the downtown core in Ottawa, where fuel is banned from entering the protest "red zone" in front of parliament.

Adding to the turmoil is criminal behavior. Of more than 60 criminal investigations underway in the capital, most involve alleged hate crimes, property damage, thefts and mischief, police there said.

Ottawa's city council was set to meet Monday, a day after Mayor Jim Watson declared a state of emergency because of the "Freedom Convoy" protests. Most businesses in downtown Ottawa have been closed for more than a week or have reduced hours, with owners complaining of financial losses as customers dwindle.

The police department has asked the mayor for a "significant increase" in resources to deal with the unrest, Ottawa Police Chief Peter Sloly said Monday.

"We have been 100% full out on this for the last 10 days straight, and we will not rest until it's done, but we need more help," Sloly said.

The chief has been "advocating for all three levels of government to bring whatever they can bring to bear on the permanent, sustainable, lawful, safe resolution of this demonstration," he said.

Many in the city are at their "breaking point," Sloly said.

"This is crushing for those residents and their businesses," he said. "It has to stop, and we are doing everything we can possibly do to stop it. We need more help; we're asking for that help; and we're starting to receive that help, but we need more to get this done."

Watson sent letters to Trudeau, Canada's minister of safety and Ontario's premier and solicitor general, asking them to "help the City secure 1800 officers to quell the insurrection that the Ottawa Police Service is not able to contain."

"People are living in fear and are terrified," Watson wrote, adding the constant honking of large trucks over nine days "is tantamount to psychological warfare."

"Our hope is that your department can help coordinate a response that matches the scale of the challenge we are facing," Watson wrote.

All he needs is a half mustache the rest is there.

I'm fully vaxxed, but that doesn't mean I think it's right for the government to force everyone to do that or lose their jobs.
Very reasonable, and in line with my thoughts. You know neither Canada or the USA are requiring everyone to be vaccinated right?

Very reasonable, and in line with my thoughts. You know neither Canada or the USA are requiring everyone to be vaccinated right?
Truckers are required to be vaxxed in order to cross the US border. That's where they started anyway. Hopefully we can both agree that the intent is probably not to stop there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT