ADVERTISEMENT

What a waste of money

Sounds about right for you.
You should spend a minute reflecting on the garbage that spews out of your tiny brain before you post your ignorance for all the world to see.
So, cherry-picked part of my post and aren’t denying what I actually said; just doing the standard message board tough-guy “I don’t like what you say so you’re stupid.” Very creative. Thanks for your consistency.

You sound jealous you didn't have the front row seat that cecilb had.
Get over it.
He speaks the truth
I'm not jealous, but you seem like someone who would follow the Wizard of Oz.

I had a front row seat. Bowlsby was and is the most hated man in the history of Iowa AD's. Hated more than Evy.

seems female heavy (7/10 and one of the dudes is the treasurer?) and athlete/coach light.

and i'm old enough to know how this works, but why exactly is beckwith there?
I felt the same way about the committee member selection. Seems unbalanced. Hope Wilson and the committee understands which sport brings in the revenue dollars, it isn't women's soccer or baseball (although I really like coach Heller). With that said, I have "0" issue with Beth Goetz as our new AD. She seems proactive, decisive and honest.

I understand the need for a public university going through a national search. With that being said, I hope they don't take too long vetting and interviewing candidates. Committees generally are indecisive and slow to react. We'll see.

I think Bowlsby is retiring or close to it. I want someone a bit younger than Bowlsby who might want to just mail it in and wait for his check. Plus he did a crappy job with the whole Tom Davis thing. From what I remember Davis just needed some force or push to get out there and recruit more and face to face and better.
He's busy coming out of retirement to run UNI right now.

I am not sure there is a State of Iowa employment law or ruling that says there has to be a search. I assume the job opening has to be posted. If it is posted and then there is no group of people looking at applicants and having job interviews then that might violate some types of employment laws or practices.

I am not sure if you are joking but if they spend $500,000 that is 1/2 of 1% of the TV money Iowa brings in.

Tell me how much is it supposed to cost?
Ok it’s 1/2 of 1% of TV money. It’s still $500,000 spent on something that isn’t going to change anything. Beth will be the next AD and they are literally throwing money down the drain.
They could use that $500,000 on one of the million building projects they have going on with the University. That would be $500,000 less money they would need from tax payers.

Reactions: littlez
Ok it’s 1/2 of 1% of TV money. It’s still $500,000 spent on something that isn’t going to change anything. Beth will be the next AD and they are literally throwing money down the drain.
They could use that $500,000 on one of the million building projects they have going on with the University. That would be $500,000 less money they would need from tax payers.
You are ignoring the possibility that there is law or legislated hiring practices for these levels of jobs in State of IA instititions. I am not sure of the law but I remember enough from previous hirings that jobs have to be officially posted, HR and hiring people look at resumes, and then there are supposed to be a series of inteviews of other candidates. I think the law school or UI hospitals some years ago got into a big stink backed then into the corner into a pile of crap for a wrong hiring process.

What if, in going through this process and interviewing other successful AD's, new ideas and approaches are learned that in the long fun can be used by our AD to improve our Athletic Department? Some on this board are frequently clamoring for new, fresh ideas in the Athletic Department.

You are ignoring the possibility that there is law or legislated hiring practices for these levels of jobs in State of IA instititions. I am not sure of the law but I remember enough from previous hirings that jobs have to be officially posted, HR and hiring people look at resumes, and then there are supposed to be a series of inteviews of other candidates. I think the law school or UI hospitals some years ago got into a big stink backed then into the corner into a pile of crap for a wrong hiring process.
Let’s say it is the process, is it still not a giant waste of money?

It’s a giant waste of money for any company that’s forced to do so.
It’s like the NFL having to interview an African American for any head coach job that’s open.

Just because she fired Brian doesn't mean she will be the best candidate.

With that said, I respect the hell out of her for doing what she did.

But I want the best we can get, whoever that will be.
To me, that’s actually the second biggest reason she should be hired. I’m just glad she more than embraces NIL and doesn’t have her head in the sand like our previous A.D.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
It does seem odd should she be named the AD in the next few months, however it's probably standard protocol given the high profile nature of the position.
Blame the state of Iowa, as the UI president position is a state job.

Good for you. Did you tell Bowlsby he ****ed over Hayden who left the job with the promise he could name his successor?
I’m not aware of that. I do know Coach was ill, and he said the opposite in his press conf. I spoke with often, nearly daily for 6 years, but not during the week after his retirement. I specifically did have conversation during the search with Brashier, Mike Stoops, dervich, and 2 search committee members…one during the week, another at the KF intro party.

Reactions: StallmanCurse
I'm not blaming anyone.
my bad, i was actually thinking of the thread title in my response and I was reading your post when my response to post came to mind. rationale, if it's a "waste of money", then someone is at fault for the waste.

Good for you. Did you tell Bowlsby he ****ed over Hayden who left the job with the promise he could name his successor?
Name his successor? Please. No one gets to do that in the real world, much less someone coming off of a 3-8 season that followed a 7-5 record when he had 10-2 talent outside of one position. Much respect for resurrecting the program, but Fry had one winning Big 10 record in his last 7 seasons. When you leave the QB room with Matt Sherman, Randy Reiners, Moon Mullen, and Kyle McCann, your bed is made.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I’m not aware of that. I do know Coach was ill, and he said the opposite in his press conf. I spoke with often, nearly daily for 6 years, but not during the week after his retirement. I specifically did have conversation during the search with Brashier, Mike Stoops, dervich, and 2 search committee members…one during the week, another at the KF intro party.
I'm not sure what to make of your post^ but I had a conversation with someone who was respected within the AD. Hayden's deal was he got to name his successor if he retired. Bowlsby went for TAllen, everyone revolted, and we ended up with a committee to name KF. Stoops was the no brainer and Bowlsby ****ed it up.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I'm not sure what to make of your post^ but I had a conversation with someone who was respected within the AD. Hayden's deal was he got to name his successor if he retired. Bowlsby went for TAllen, everyone revolted, and we ended up with a committee to name KF. Stoops was the no brainer and Bowlsby ****ed it up.
Committee was in place before Chuck, coach P, stoopsie, Kirk or Allen were interviewed. I would have known whoever you’re referencing, whoever that was.

Committee members I knew pretty dang well..Ann Rhodes, mark Jennings, Marv Cook , Bob Bowlsby. One asked an opinion when shit was hitting the fan.

Stoops was a no brained. The one we fell into worked out ok

It does seem odd should she be named the AD in the next few months, however it's probably standard protocol given the high profile nature of the position.
I would guess that it comes down to appearances if it isn't required by state law. The University may be open to scrutiny and biases lawsuits if the search is conducted by the University without outside assistance. It could also be because the University has done such a bang-up job of hiring assistant AD's that have cost the University several million dollars for wrongful dismissals and this is just an added level of scrutiny to help ensure a higher level of candidate.

Committee was in place before Chuck, coach P, stoopsie, Kirk or Allen were interviewed. I would have known whoever you’re referencing, whoever that was.

Committee members I knew pretty dang well..Ann Rhodes, mark Jennings, Marv Cook , Bob Bowlsby. One asked an opinion when shit was hitting the fan.

Stoops was a no brained. The one we fell into worked out ok
Thank you for the info you've posted in this thread. It's refreshing to get some details on the situation that run deeper than internet rumor.

Would you say it was a general consensus among the committee that Stoops would have accepted the job if offered? That seems to be the assumption among the fanbase, but I've heard several accounts of that not being the case.

LOL. Could you imagine the outrage (mostly fake) on this board and elsewhere if BG were given the permanent position without an official search for a permanent replacement? The hilariously ironic part is that the people clamoring most about a "fake search" for an A.D. had no problem with KF's fake search for an OC in 2017.
There's a different process looking for an AD than looking for an OC for the football program. The AD is responsible for all the athletic programs at Iowa. Therefore, Iowa needs the best qualified candidate they can find. BG's work at Ball State is one thing but the work at a major university like Iowa is something else. Ferentz has been head coach for 25 yrs. at Iowa and has had some great assistant coaches and still does. I trust he will hire a good OC that fits his program.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
So you cool if Kirk doesn't perform an official search for his staff now and just hands it to whoever he wants without any interviews. I thought many of you were against stuff like that.

I don't see the logic in comparing KF for seachr for OC and the AD search. The AD search is an example of a liberal school appointing a board of politically correct board members. They'll spend a lot of time/money talking and they'll likely end up with the lady they already have or another woman that has Title9/equitable outcomes as the primary goal despite Iowa mens football/basketball being the primary driver of revenue.

KF search for OC is a one-man show where he'll do pretty much what he wants and no one else has any inputs other than Phil and making sure they don't hire a bad cultural fit. I guess the AD would have veto power on a hire, but unless he hires James Ferentz or a pedophile, I don't think there is much chance of a veto.

Thank you for the info you've posted in this thread. It's refreshing to get some details on the situation that run deeper than internet rumor.

Would you say it was a general consensus among the committee that Stoops would have accepted the job if offered? That seems to be the assumption among the fanbase, but I've heard several accounts of that not being the case.
No, we waited to long to interview. That’s why Mine called me and anyone he could …saying we’re screwing it up, ou offer had a drop dead date. They did not want him to interview w/iowa. He was essentially gone before he interviewed.

the Athletic posted an article today by Dochterman. Does a good job of detailing the search, with interviews of search committee members. Only thing it really missed or omitted was the KU press conference that changed directions…but was pretty clear the committee told BB Allen couldn’t be any he guy. Can only imagine BB call to TA to say he couldn’t hire him, after setting up a ceremonial search to anoint him

https://www.thegazette.com/iowa-haw...LOM3Tu6oAE320k3ZHpjZMQhYmfnDyeHrsNmQCthqwEHug

Spend $125,000 to hire the person you already had in place.
Seems like a waste to me, and for all the people saying it’s nothing compared to what they make, you shouldn’t have a problem with them just giving me money for no reason then.
Des Moines Public Schools spent close to $500k just to hire the interim superintendent 10+ years ago. All headhunting high profile positions is just a waste of money because 9 times out of 10 they stay with the interim.

https://now.uiowa.edu/news/2023/11/ui-begins-national-search-athletics-director

I wonder how much money is wasted on this “search”. We all know Beth Goetz will be named the permanent replacement, well unless Kirk says no.
Also how can I be a member of that search committee and make some extra money. I like money and making money doing nothing is even better.
This was cheap in the long run. If they just hired her there would have been a lot of law suits....

This was cheap in the long run. If they just hired her there would have been a lot of law suits....
I’m not saying the university did the wrong thing. They did what they have to do which is a joke. HR policies are a joke, why should some search party be able to capitalize every time a hire like this is needed to be made? It’s stupid

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT