ADVERTISEMENT

What about this upcoming season would make you happy?

Top 12.

That really needs to be the bar. Everything else will be anywhere from "We did ok to we stunk it up and everything in between".

Top 12 SHOULD be our Team and Coaching staff goal.....every year.
ricky-bobby-will-ferell.gif

Reactions: Packer54
Making the playoffs.

I don't care if we have the same offense. Get into the playoffs. If that's not the goal, then why are we as fans being asked to give money everyday.

I hate that this is what college football has become, but it is what it is.

Reactions: DewHawk
I want to see Iowa execute better on offense.

According to some, that was the only thing that kept Iowa from 3 consecutive 15-0 seasons.

Making the playoffs and having a competent offense. It doesn't have to be fireworks, but no more being the laughingstock of college football. Iowa fans don't deserve it.

And if we are one of the 12 teams to make the new playoff system, I think that would be a great accomplishment.

Also get Floyd back from those damn goofers.

Reactions: Underscore2
Seeing Brian Ferentz as an analyst for Nebraska. I can just imagine my Huskers friends trying to justify it!!!!! That would be pretty funny and make me happy to suddenly see them backtrack!

Bullies of the Big Ten on D, as others have said, a better offense.
Less WR drops.
The emergence of the next superstar Iowa TE.
Running game dominance. Better pass protection.
A mean nasty oline.
More production from Iowa’s QB for Iowa instead of the opposition.
More Lainez than Hill if Cade is not ready to go.
The new Aussie punter dropping 50 yard dimes on the goal line hahaha
All this happens and you know what evil monkey would say…

Making the playoff field of 12 would make me extremely happy, but perhaps it's a bit unrealistic.

Toward that goal however, seeing a more efficient and capable offense will go a long ways towards seeing it actually happen. That will also make me happy, along with 9 or more wins.

Beating Nebraska and Minnesota. An offense that looks more purposeful and dangerous. Emergence of some young studs on the defense.

Having as good of a defense and an offense that averages 25pts a game, with blow out wins over the first 3 so backups get reps.

Lainez at QB1 running the WMU Offense that had success We saw on tape when Lester had a mobile QB . Rest will take care of itself . Defense isnt going anywhere and Iowa has a weak schedule.

Not be a laughing stock. Talking playoffs is a dream at this point. We haven’t beaten a team with a pulse in years.

There isnt enough talent on offense to warrant the hope of a high conference finish.

I’d like to see Iowa beat the crap out of the bad teams for an entire season. Not just one OK game and then back to the mean of 12-10 games that sets football back 100 years.

Then at least move the damn ball against the good teams. Who knows maybe get a win or two but we don’t stand a chance with 0 points on the board.

So basically, move out of the basement for offense. Be competitive against good / great teams and beat down the bad ones.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
For me I'd like to see a floor of 8 wins. I see on the schedule a potential for 9 or 10 but I'm tampering down my expectations given the new O system. Of course it needs to actually be a new system and not a watered down KF style of offense.

My next big thing is get back to the pre-Brian days of being competitive in tough/big games. I'm over the offensive sh!tshows of blowouts and games being over by halftime.

WBY?
The schedule sets up for 10 wins for sure. However, that won't guarantee them a playoff berth, especially if the losses are as horrific as last season (93-0 vs the only decent teams on the schedule). KF has got to go hands-free on the offense and not drag them into these play-not-to-lose games. I heard the new OC talk about schemes getting WR's open, but I think it's a basic lack of athleticism. It's hard to beat incredibly athletic DBs from Ohio State, Michigan and now we're adding in USC and an improved Nebraska haul from the portal. AGain, it's not about the Xs and Os, it's about the Jimmys and Joes. Iowa doesn't have enough of the latter.

The schedule sets up for 10 wins for sure. However, that won't guarantee them a playoff berth, especially if the losses are as horrific as last season (93-0 vs the only decent teams on the schedule). KF has got to go hands-free on the offense and not drag them into these play-not-to-lose games. I heard the new OC talk about schemes getting WR's open, but I think it's a basic lack of athleticism. It's hard to beat incredibly athletic DBs from Ohio State, Michigan and now we're adding in USC and an improved Nebraska haul from the portal. AGain, it's not about the Xs and Os, it's about the Jimmys and Joes. Iowa doesn't have enough of the latter.
We are like 5th or something at putting guys into the NFL. We have the talent.

I'd like to see the QBs play instinctively and not play like scared dogs. Hopefully that will materialize through: a) better QB coaching, and b) improved Oline play and pass protection.

I agree to extent on talent but OC's worth a damn can scheme inferior talent open. Even our Defense will give up some 3 & Longs against Utah St or similar teams to open receivers, then on replay you just see it was a well designed play.

The passing game IMO killed Brian's chance to succeed. So many times we'd have multiple receivers with a 5-10 halo of each other. When you have inferior talent you need good motions and schemes to get guys open but he constantly asked a FCS level WR like Ragaini to go win 1 on 1 downfield.

I truly think an OC worth his salt finds a way to average somewhere between 4-7 pts a game even with Deacon Hill.

Reactions: savage84
We are like 5th or something at putting guys into the NFL. We have the talent.
Some of you guys keep saying that, but ignore how much CFB has changed over the past two decades. Does Iowa put guys in the NFL? Yes, lineman, tight ends, linebackers, punters. Not the kind of talent that wins in today's college football. So you can hang your hat on # of guys in the NFL as you get outscored 93-0 vs talent-laden teams, or you can pull your head out of your ass and understand that 35 players like Josey Jewel, a 1960s style of play and an overmatched coaching staff does not result in success at the college level. Now that the divisions are gone, Iowa is toast.

For me I'd like to see a floor of 8 wins. I see on the schedule a potential for 9 or 10 but I'm tampering down my expectations given the new O system. Of course it needs to actually be a new system and not a watered down KF style of offense.

My next big thing is get back to the pre-Brian days of being competitive in tough/big games. I'm over the offensive sh!tshows of blowouts and games being over by halftime.

WBY?
Offense scores 35 pts per game. Defense scores 14 pts per game. Punter averages 50.1 yds with 6 second hang time. Receivers average 100 yds per game per game. Hawks win Big ten.

Some of you guys keep saying that, but ignore how much CFB has changed over the past two decades. Does Iowa put guys in the NFL? Yes, lineman, tight ends, linebackers, punters. Not the kind of talent that wins in today's college football. So you can hang your hat on # of guys in the NFL as you get outscored 93-0 vs talent-laden teams, or you can pull your head out of your ass and understand that 35 players like Josey Jewel, a 1960s style of play and an overmatched coaching staff does not result in success at the college level. Now that the divisions are gone, Iowa is toast.
So Te's, OL and nobody is arguing we have talent at the RB position. So what you are saying is basically over half our offense is talented if not more so then many other teams? I think most understand that when we have a Stanzi or Beathard at QB we do better. so getting some consistent talent at that position would help. We had a wr that went to a lesser B10 school and did well, so it is hard to say if we have talent there or not. AGAIN, I do not think it is a talent issue. Sure some years we might lack a little here and there, but not nearly to the extent some would like to make it out to be. My biggest one is OL, and I do not know if it is talent or something else, but the tradition of a really strong OL seems to be almost a forgotten memory these days. I mean how many of these guys, not including Proctor, would be drafted with intention and not as a late rounder?

Lack of QB, WR and RB is alarming.

So Te's, OL and nobody is arguing we have talent at the RB position. So what you are saying is basically over half our offense is talented if not more so then many other teams? I think most understand that when we have a Stanzi or Beathard at QB we do better. so getting some consistent talent at that position would help. We had a wr that went to a lesser B10 school and did well, so it is hard to say if we have talent there or not. AGAIN, I do not think it is a talent issue. Sure some years we might lack a little here and there, but not nearly to the extent some would like to make it out to be. My biggest one is OL, and I do not know if it is talent or something else, but the tradition of a really strong OL seems to be almost a forgotten memory these days. I mean how many of these guys, not including Proctor, would be drafted with intention and not as a late rounder?
We lack talent at the skill positions. QB, WR, and our RB to lesser degree. Someone like Johnson is a big play threat but you have to give him 20-25 touches. He’ll have a few no gainers, then it’s one cut and gone. But we treat our RB rotation so odd. No rhyme or reason. Tho we switched from the 2008-2013 years where we beat the crap out of one RB and no one else would come in.

Overall it’s a scheme issue. When you see someone like La Porta go into the NFL and catch more TD in one season than all of his Iowa career combined….

We never threw the ball past the goal line. We always throw behind and hope the players can break thru. Or we run / sneak the ball once we get within the red zone.

Brandon Smith was another huge target that we never used appropriately

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc
We lack talent at the skill positions. QB, WR, and our RB to lesser degree. Someone like Johnson is a big play threat but you have to give him 20-25 touches. He’ll have a few no gainers, then it’s one cut and gone. But we treat our RB rotation so odd. No rhyme or reason. Tho we switched from the 2008-2013 years where we beat the crap out of one RB and no one else would come in.

Overall it’s a scheme issue. When you see someone like La Porta go into the NFL and catch more TD in one season than all of his Iowa career combined….

We never threw the ball past the goal line. We always throw behind and hope the players can break thru. Or we run / sneak the ball once we get within the red zone.

Brandon Smith was another huge target that we never used appropriately
KF's offensive scheme is based in fear. He cares more about avoiding mistakes than about making plays. It works fine as a way to win close, low-scoring games against crappy B1G West teams. Then we get in vs. teams that are actually good, and we get prison raped.

If the usual whiners would tape the games and only watch the games we win. A win win for them and this board

So now the division are gone. To get into the B1G Championship game you have to finish in the Top 2.

Now there are 12 playoff teams. Even though it might be possible, I don't see the 4th place team in the B1G making the playoffs.

I don't think the Hawks will finish in the top 4, and I certainly don't think they will finish in the top 2. So I think a "playoff or bust" attitude is going to leave a lot of fans unhappy.

Playoffs - extremely happy
9 wins and win the trophy games - very happy
8 wins and win the trophy games - uh, happy I guess
Beat anyone elite that you aren't supposed to beat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT