ADVERTISEMENT

What about this upcoming season would make you happy?

ButtersHawk

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2021
For me I'd like to see a floor of 8 wins. I see on the schedule a potential for 9 or 10 but I'm tampering down my expectations given the new O system. Of course it needs to actually be a new system and not a watered down KF style of offense.

My next big thing is get back to the pre-Brian days of being competitive in tough/big games. I'm over the offensive sh!tshows of blowouts and games being over by halftime.

WBY?

So now the division are gone. To get into the B1G Championship game you have to finish in the Top 2.

Now there are 12 playoff teams. Even though it might be possible, I don't see the 4th place team in the B1G making the playoffs.

I don't think the Hawks will finish in the top 4, and I certainly don't think they will finish in the top 2. So I think a "playoff or bust" attitude is going to leave a lot of fans unhappy.

Playoffs - extremely happy
9 wins and win the trophy games - very happy
8 wins and win the trophy games - uh, happy I guess

So now the division are gone. To get into the B1G Championship game you have to finish in the Top 2.

Now there are 12 playoff teams. Even though it might be possible, I don't see the 4th place team in the B1G making the playoffs.

I don't think the Hawks will finish in the top 4, and I certainly don't think they will finish in the top 2. So I think a "playoff or bust" attitude is going to leave a lot of fans unhappy.

Had Iowa not lost to Minnesota, the top 4 B1G teams last year would have made the 12 team. I don't see an 11-2 Iowa team not in the top 12.

Due to Cade's rehab, I am looking forward to everyone on this board losing their minds when Deacon is the starter in spring ball.
It’s absolutely going to happen.
There‘s a real chance Deacon beats everybody else out anyway.
The one stat that matters to KF? 10 wins.

As others have said, competence on offense. If we do that, a lot of wins will fall into place. Please, no more games where kneeling 3 times and punting would’ve been better than attempting to play offense.

I want to see us compete @OSU. It shouldn’t be a foregone conclusion that we’re going to get absolutely embarrassed in these games, and we were a damn tough out for everyone for about 20 years until the offense became a joke.

You mentioned the trophy games. I'm curious how others prioritize them. Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask. My order...which I'm guessing is different from most. Probably 180 from some.

1. ISMoo (I hate listening to those sheep-f***ers talk when we lose. clone state my ass)
2a. Minnesota (could easily swap with Nebbie, but I live up here and have to hear it from my bro-in-law)
2b. Nebbie (see above)
4. Wisconsin (doesn't seem to carry the weight it used to when we were always picked 1-2 in the West. The rivalry just hasn't seemed as intense the last couple of years)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hans81
You mentioned the trophy games. I'm curious how others prioritize them. Rather than start a new thread... I'll ask. My order...which I'm guessing is different from most. Probably 180 from some.

1. ISMoo (I hate listening to those sheep-f***ers talk when we lose. clone state my ass)
2a. Minnesota (could easily swap with Nebbie, but I live up here and have to hear it from my bro-in-law)
2b. Nebbie (see above)
4. Wisconsin (doesn't seem to carry the weight it used to when we were always picked 1-2 in the West. The rivalry just hasn't seemed as intense the last couple of years)
I'd go this order

Wisky
Nebraska
Iowa State
Minnesota

You mentioned the trophy games. I'm curious how others prioritize them. Rather than start a new thread... I'll ask. My order...which I'm guessing is different from most. Probably 180 from some.

2b. Nebbie (see above)
1. ISU
2. Neb
3. Minny - because losing to them is embarrassing
4. Wisky

Fielding the best possible team on both sides of the ball. The offense doesn't have to be good, because talent is lacking and will be til the nuclear winter Biff left us wears off, but at least look functional. No Deacon Hill, and have to be trying to stretch the field with some kind of vertical passing attack.

I'd be happy if there was progress. No counting on the easy wins, and being content getting smashed by the better ones.

You mentioned the trophy games. I'm curious how others prioritize them. Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask. My order...which I'm guessing is different from most. Probably 180 from some.

2b. Nebbie (see above)
1.Nebraska
2.Wisconsin
3.Minnesota
4.ISU
For the record I would flip ISU and Minn but I absolutely hate PJ Fleck. Wisconsin is #2 because I'm envious of them winning the West more than us.

Nebraska for me is the clear cut #1. My cousin is Eric Crouch. 90% of my dad's side resides in Council Bluffs or Omaha. Trust me when I say Nebraska fans are not people you want to be around if they win on Black Friday.

Reactions: BonzoFury
For me I'd like to see a floor of 8 wins. I see on the schedule a potential for 9 or 10 but I'm tampering down my expectations given the new O system. Of course it needs to actually be a new system and not a watered down KF style of offense.

My next big thing is get back to the pre-Brian days of being competitive in tough/big games. I'm over the offensive sh!tshows of blowouts and games being over by halftime.

WBY?
Probably going one step further than whatever pinnacle they reach.

1.Nebraska
2.Wisconsin
3.Minnesota
4.ISU
For the record I would flip ISU and Minn but I absolutely hate PJ Fleck. Wisconsin is #2 because I'm envious of them winning the West more than us.

Nebraska for me is the clear cut #1. My cousin is Eric Crouch. 90% of my dad's side resides in Council Bluffs or Omaha. Trust me when I say Nebraska fans are not people you want to be around if they win on Black Friday.
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooofffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff. How much of a jack is he when Iowa is playing them?

Still kind of funny remembering Gopher fans marching around Kinnick post game last fall chanting the Who Hates Iowa deal. And these weren't all a bunch of youngsters.

Due to Cade's rehab, I am looking forward to everyone on this board losing their minds when Deacon is the starter in spring ball.
🖕
Nights Talladega GIF

I am with the group of posters who want decent improvement in the offense. I am assuming the defense will be very good and great again if Cooper's leaving doesnt leave too big of a hole and all the pieces are working.

Special teams should be very good. I expect the new punter will grown into the job and I hope Drew Stevens is back with a 90% FG accuracy mark depending on how many really long kicks he is asked to make.

With that defense and STeams, if the offense can generate about 350 yards avg per game and better redzone efficiency especially with TDs then this team could go 11-1 and play well at OSU.

I am with the entire Hawkeye fanbase who want decent improvement in the offense. I am assuming the defense will be very good and great again if Cooper's leaving doesnt leave too big of a hole and all the pieces are working.
FIFY
;)

Reactions: uihawk82

WBY?
I'll keep it simple.

What would make me happiest would be that the Hawkeyes play their age. This is a very physically mature football team as it relates to the top 22.

On offense, they start 2 sophomores (arguably their top two talents in Kaleb Brown and Kadyn Proctor), 7 seniors and 2 graduates.

On defense, they start 1 sophomore, 2 juniors, 4 seniors and 4 graduates.

If they play their collective age everyone will be very happy.

An offense that ranks 70 out of 133. Reminder...Iowa was 133 last year for total yards. Wisconsin was ranked 70.

WBY?
A competent offense and another stellar defense.

Offense that moves the ball consistently. Not much of a drop-off on defense.

Be in the running for top 12 throughout the season.

Boom - Entertainment.

I want to see them continue to win against the teams they should beat and at least look like they have a legit chance to win against the OSU’s and Mich’s. That would take an offense that actually moves the ball…

Fielding the best possible team on both sides of the ball. The offense doesn't have to be good, because talent is lacking and will be til the nuclear winter Biff left us wears off, but at least look functional. No Deacon Hill, and have to be trying to stretch the field with some kind of vertical passing attack.

I'd be happy if there was progress. No counting on the easy wins, and being content getting smashed by the better ones.
I would be happy if there was maximum effort to develop every position on the field.

Reactions: DewHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT