ADVERTISEMENT

What are/were your top priorities as a parent in terms of raising your children?

unIowa

HB Legend
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
The traits I am most trying to develop in my kids are as follows;

1. Independent mindset: I want them to move out and want to move out post H/S. The home should be safe but never made "too comfortable" for them. There will be no 30 years olds living in my basement, hell there will be no 20 year olds doing so either.

2. Work ethic and grit: These traits alone will seperate you from 90%+ of your competition in the corporate world.

3. Be an explorer: Take on risk via being willing to take on new and difficult challenges. Get temporarily uncomfortable to find out how far you can stretch yourself.

4. Establish Roots and make things better: When you decided to settle into a community be an active participant in it. Volunteer, be active, make the world around you better and if you have kids make sure they see you doing as much so they can learn those same values. Leave your mark and leave it better than when you found it.

Preparing them for and assuming they will be competing in the corporate world in #2 and then encouraging them to " be an explorer" in #3 strikes me as sending mixed signals.

Not letting them get shot by an AR-15.

Pretty good so far. In fact, all of my friends have had great success there. Must be doing something right.

So I am going to mark down; Be an Over Protective Parent (by not allowing your kids to get shot) for you.

Preparing them for and assuming they will be competing in the corporate world in #2 and then encouraging them to " be an explorer" in #3 strikes me as sending mixed signals.

I mean, moving to new areas, taking on new work opportunities, not just standing still is kind of being an explorer and the work ethic/grit deal travels.

Reactions: goldmom and HawCory
I mean, moving to new areas, taking on new work opportunities, not just standing still is kind of being an explorer and the work ethic/grit deal travels.
I appreciate the clarification. My reply wasn't meant to be argumentative and I'm glad you seem to have not seen it as such.

Reactions: unIowa
FwdmIrEWYAAVp7o
FwdmIrIXwAMd1q3
FwdmIrEWYAMR0M0

They changed substantially after my oldest son's autism diagnosis. He's very high functioning with a 130+ IQ but dealing with social interactions...being able to hold a regular job...something as simple as making friends...those are things we have to cover. A lot.

Our job has morphed quite a bit into things most parents take for granted. Preparing him for being on his own is a full-time concern.

My kids are now in high school but we were always big on pushing them to be independent. There were small things when they were young like ordering for themselves at restaurants and going through checkout lines at stores. And bigger things like walking home from elementary school and being by themselves for an hour or so before we got off work.

Other than that we just tried to make sure they weren't assholes.

Reactions: mattymoknows
Make sure they understood the importance of voting early, voting often and always voting for the Democrat.
I am happy to report I am 2 for 2 as a parent.

This is not a political thread Joel but of note my oldest is rather conservative in his values (junior), my middle is quite liberal (frosh), and my youngest is oblivious (6th grade).

Hockey. That’s my priority as a parent. Spend as much time and money on hockey as possible to get my son to the NHL. So far he’s about average at the squirt level, but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before he bursts up the ranks. Once his rocket ship takes off, NHL here we come!

Successfully launch them as adults.
That's it.

It really is the number one job of a parent. I listed out some of the traits that I think will best help them do that. My biggest fear in life has always been being dependent on the good will and/or charity of others (or the state).

You should always put more into society than you take out.

Not letting them get shot by an AR-15.

Pretty good so far. In fact, all of my friends have had great success there. Must be doing something right.
Did you teach them sporadic zig zag routes when evacuating? Rickon Stark showed how to not run away from death at the Battle of the Bastards.

Reactions: unIowa
Work hard at whatever you do.
Be kind - to everyone.
Family first - nothing and no one is more important than your family. Friends, jobs, hobbies come and go but family is forever.
Don't waste time worrying about things you can't control.
Experience as much and as many things you can in life.
Proud as hell most of these are sticking as my 3 enter various phases of adulthood.

Average HORT answer = “I hope they are nice, kind, and polite. Be good to others, strive for excellence in whatever they do. Don’t sweat the small stuff, etc……..”

Honest HORT answer = “I just hope my son has a super hot girlfriend and brings her over a lot along with her other hot friends. I should build a pool. And/or, I hope my daughter has super hot friends that come over and need rides from me and I’m definitely building that pool.”

Average HORT answer = “I hope they are nice, kind, and polite. Be good to others, strive for excellence in whatever they do. Don’t sweat the small stuff, etc……..”

Honest HORT answer = “I just hope my son has a super hot girlfriend and brings her over a lot along with her other hot friends. I should build a pool. And/or, I hope my daughter has super hot friends that come over and need rides from me and I’m definitely building that pool.”
It was clear to me that the guy asking about in ground pool quotes last week has a son with a girlfriend about to turn 18.

Hockey. That’s my priority as a parent. Spend as much time and money on hockey as possible to get my son to the NHL. So far he’s about average at the squirt level, but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before he bursts up the ranks. Once his rocket ship takes off, NHL here we come!

Money isn’t going to buy you everything in life, but it’s going to pay for a lot of ice time

Work hard at whatever you do.
Be kind - to everyone.
Family first - nothing and no one is more important than your family. Friends, jobs, hobbies come and go but family is forever.
Don't waste time worrying about things you can't control.
Experience as much and as many things you can in life.
Proud as hell most of these are sticking as my 3 enter various phases of adulthood.
Most of mine are same as yours. However..in the bolded part, I’ve gone another direction.

Family doesn’t get a pass if they are toxic, shitty people who add nothing. My daughter has (sadly) written off her mom, and her grandmother (on moms side) because they are just toxic. For a while I kept on the “I know, but they are family” until I realized…that only goes so far, unfortunately. It’s ok to let go of some people, family or not.

My biggest priority was to raise good humans and keep them from making life altering mistakes. For the most part we succeeded. One thing I learned is that there are no absolutes. What you think you will do and what actually happens is very dependent on the kid. I'm just thankful that we have 3 grown sons who are functioning adults.

I might have a slight difference from most of you. I don't have any biological children but 4 stepchildren that I'm 100x more a father figure to then their bio dad.

For me at first was to get acceptance and not overstep boundaries. As time went by so did that concern. I love them just as much as I would of any child that would be biologically mine.

Mostly, teach them love, respect, kindness, and trying to treat others as you would want to be treated. I tell them if someone is using you as a friend, they aren't your friend.

I have to admit that they curse worse than me, so I haven't done great in that regard. But I think they are all are going to be productive adults, which some on some days, that is all we can hope for.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT